Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch, Pat Williamson), 1,429 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#332793 04/30/13 07:47 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Over the last 50+ years I've owned a lot of waders and hip boots that dry rotted long before I figured they should have. I've had rubber and canvas with rubber boots. In all cases, the rubber boots just gave out after several seasons, no matter how I stored them.

I've also used neoprene waders way too many times in leech-infested, or other nasty-critter infested waters, in July and August. They are really really hot, and really meant for duck hunting in very cold weather.

Anyway, I've volunteered to do several hours of work in some cold (56 degree) and muddy water this weekend. Usually, this isn't a problem this time of year. But, we've got freezing temperatures and snow forecast again for tomorrow night. I just wasn't looking forward to doing this project in my "river boots" and fishing shorts.

So, I headed off to the local big-box sporting goods store this afternoon. As I was looking at the displays, I saw all the regular rubber, canvas, and neoprene waders and hip boots. I told the young lady, who came to help me, my tale of woe.

She took me over to some shelves that had things not displayed anywhere in the store. She pulled out a box of waders that she figured would fit me. She said she'd gotten sets of them for her son and father, and they loved them. Since I mentioned that I already had water boots for use with neoprene "socks", she had me try the bootless version.

I thought the box was empty. I doubt the box weighed much more than a pound. I removed the waders from the box and tried them on. They fit perfectly.

I'd never before heard of "breathable" waders.

I got home and tried them. These things are incredible. They are sewn, glued, reinforced, and I don't know what all. I chased a mouse out of one of my water boots, put the waders and boots on, and went for a walk into the pond. On dry land they are less cumbersome than my Carhartt coveralls with snow boots.

I think these things could outlast me. They look like they are made from multiple layers of military parachute material -- and they even came with a repair kit!

As I mentioned, I didn't even know these things existed. The cost was about the same as a reasonable pair of conventional waders.

Has anyone else been using these things? Are they as good as they appear on the first try?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Very interesting. I have no heard of them. Do you have a name for this type of waders?

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I end up buying waders every year for trout fishing. Let us know the name of miracle wader you speak of.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I bought Caddis breathables.. Frogg Togg also makes what appear to be very similar waders. Cabelas has private label versions. BassPro and Gander Mountain have a mix.

I did a number of Internet searches. From what I can tell, most users love these things. But, I've also found reviews where everybody complains about how bad they are.

I guess I'll have a better idea after this coming weekend regarding how tough they are. At least there doesn't appear to be anything in them that will dry rot.

Anybody else with experience with these things? I'm hoping I didn't just by more useless waders.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Keep us updated. I'm using neoprene right now and they start getting miserable this time of year.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Let me know how they work. That day that I seined at Cecils, I was in my neoprene ones all day long. More than half the day I was out of the water, and the waders were wetter inside then outside due to me sweating in them. In cold water they are great. These are Hodgmans, and I've had them since about 2000 or so. I'd love to find a lightweight warm weather pair of waders.

That reminds me, I need to buy another pair of hip boots.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I would like to hear more about these as well. Plus I also need some for cold water as well so if someone has recommendations for those I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll have a much better idea of what these are like after this weekend. I'll be participating in a 25 mile cleanup of the South Branch Potomac. I'll be in and out of canoes a lot. I'll be in mud and brambles, picking nasties from the river and shoreline.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have a pair of chest waders that chafe the skin off my lower legs if I don't keep my pant legs from riding up. I have to duck tape my lower pants against my legs to prevent that.

Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/04/13 09:38 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I sure tested the new waders today. They were fantastic -- and maybe even a life saver.

Today we did 6-7 miles of river cleanup on the South Branch Potomac River, above Romney, WV. I put on the new waders before we launched two 16' Old Town canoes and a 17' john boat.

My canoe partner was a 14 year old neighbor boy who I've greatly respected since he was pretty small. I'm extremely thankful he was my canoe mate.

I think we found that 6-7 miles is way too much cleanup for two canoes and a wide john boat. Our canoe had several hundred pounds of trash when we decided we couldn't add anymore. Three tires, a 55 gallon blue barrel, a 5 gallon can, six filled industrial size trash bags full of bottles and other scrap, a number of 6-ft T-posts, several coolers, and much more.

We were stacked way too high. We were unstable, and from the back of the canoe I couldn't see anything in front of us. About a half mile before our takeout point, we hit some pretty turbulent white water at the confluence of three river sections. Our load shifted, and we went over. The current was incredible. We were able to stick with the canoe. The current pushed us near to a very steep shoreline, and into a big sunken tree. The canoe lodged on its side into the tree. My canoe partner was in chest deep water, I was in deep water. As we tried to free the canoe, I was pulled away by the current, and well down river in seconds.

My young partner was able to work his way to the extremely steep shoreline where he was able to get partially out of the water.

For about 30 minutes I was pummeled by rapids, sunken trees, and strong current until I was able to finally get to shore near the takeout point.

Anyway, the waders were great. They took a pretty serious beating through the rocks in the rapids and against sunken trees, with no noticeable damage. I'd been in the waders for about six hours before the incident. They were quite comfortable in the 70 degree air temp and about 60 degree water.

I'm just glad we both had a life vests on. I had to swim and fight the current pretty hard for about 30 minutes. I don't think I would have made it without the vest. I also think the waders helped keep me from hypothermia.

I had rope and a grappling hook in my truck. We were able to get my young friend to safety, and we successfully freed the canoe, but with a lot less trash than before.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Ken, that's scary. Glad you and your partner are ok.

Just do it...
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Wow! Lucky waders. Luckily they didn't Fill water.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Ken - thankfully you survived. Many, years younger than you have died in those situations. Welcome back.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/04/13 08:34 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
WOW! Glad to hear that both you and your neighbors boy are safe. There's still some things that you have to accomplish before it's your time to go.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Jwwann
Wow! Lucky waders. Luckily they didn't Fill water.

The wader belt was cinched reasonably tight at my waist, and the wader top was tied tight. The waders still took in a fair amount of water. When I finally crawled onto shore, I was able to stand up, but I couldn't walk because my feet and lower legs were weighted down by the water in my waders. I unstrapped and let most of the water out. Then I was able to walk to my truck.

Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Ken, that's scary. Glad you and your partner are ok.

Randy. -- the good thing, at our advanced age, is that I'm in pretty good physical condition due to yoga and working our small farm. After I lost grip on the canoe, I had to swim extremely hard for 15-20 minutes to get out of the whirlpools before I was able to reach shore. The scariest part was leaving my young partner as I was swept downstream.

The other good thing is, through good training, all of us stayed very calm and confident through the whole episode. We all had the proper safety equipment. We knew what to do. Panic, and/or lack of training, would have probably been deadly. This really goes for a friend, my age, and the 15 year-old cousin of my canoe mate who was in his canoe. They got the scene stabilized in a very safe manner, moved on to safety and stability. Shortly thereafter we were all able to make a safe recovery.

G
G

Glad every thing turned out all right, and upright, Catmandoo. Good on ya'll for doing the clean-up.

I detest Litterbugs. If I were a cop, I would love to bust them. I would go out of my way to make each and every experience as memorable as possible for the offender.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Glad to here you're O.K. Ken.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: gully washer

Glad every thing turned out all right, and upright, Catmandoo. Good on ya'll for doing the clean-up.

I detest Litterbugs. If I were a cop, I would love to bust them. I would go out of my way to make each and every experience as memorable as possible for the offender.

Interestingly, much of what we get during a river cleanup is probably more than 60-70‰ accidental. Sometimes from overturned canoes. Sometimes from flooding due to major storms. Coolers, fence T-posts, 55 gallon drums, kid's play sets, chicken coops, tires, shoes, tents, awnings and "grass rugs" from RVs, fishing equipment, trailer parts, etc. These are probably not something people would intentionally throw in the river. Yes, we also get a large number of bottles, cans, etc.

Much of our same group also does road cleanup twice a year. We did our spring cleanup 2-3 weeks ago. That is near 100% intentional littering! Over our three mile stretch, we picked up many bags of beer bottles and cans. Same for soda bottles. But, I'm not sure how many major appliances, TVs, couches, chairs, etc., that we picked up. We find car batteries, and sometimes things like engines, transmissions, radiators, drive shafts, etc. We recently picked up a big pile of drywall pulled from somebody's remodeling project.

We've found a lot of interesting, and sometimes even gruesome pieces.

Cat that could have been a tragedy. Glad the waders worked but wow, what a day.

So what happens to the trash that you all pick up? Does the city/county provide dumpsters, or are y'all responsible for getting it to the landfill. Seems like they would be happy to provide you with all the help they could.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The county picks up the stuff we drag in when we do road cleanup. I believe that sponsors, plus money donations we all made, pay for a local trash service to pick it up the booty. One other team of six, plus our group of seven, made a pretty impressive pile of trash that would have filled my pickup truck two or three times. We were at one of about 6-7 drop off spots along about a 20-25 mile stretch of river.

Strong work. We finally got our county to bring out a dumpster once or twice a year for filling. Some of the locals just pack rat stuff up waiting for this, but at least it helps keep the trash off the road.

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Over loaded a canoe in dangerous waters.

Like Sonny Corleone said "Shtoopid, just shtoopid".

Dammit Ken, you need a better keeper than a 14 year old.

Glad you're still with us.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
R
WOW,I came to read up on waders and saw this.Catmandoo I'm happy you guys made it out safe and sound.You are absolutely correct about the training/knowledge aspect,I personally feel that this is almost as important as having the proper safety gear.In a incident like yours it can make all the difference between a scary story and a tragedy.

As for the trash pickup,I used to clean my pond and the state ground adjacent to it of the things people like to donate/dump twice a year.The neighboring campground used to send a helper or two also and our township transfer station used to let me dispose of it free.Well last year at the transfer station someone blew the whistle on the workers for them taking prohibited items and not charging me.To make a long story short,the township recently got a complaint about all the garbage(tires,couches etc)dumped in the nature preserve............The complaint was written by the same person who complained about me getting to get rid of trash for free,go figure.

Anyways,sorry for the off topic rant.I was just in the process of writing a letter when i took a break to read Pondboss and needed to vent.I'm happy your still with us Catmandoo and hopefully we all learn a little something and stay a little safer while doing the things we enjoy.

I have neoprene, and a few breathable waders. The best and cost effective one I have is the Froggs Togg HellBender, chest height. I'm 5'10', 180lbs, wearing the size Medium, and it fits loosely like a wonderful glove.

I normally wade in the cold water during winter for fly fishing, and float tubing throughout the years. It's a great wader to use year round, even in the 80°F heat. Anything higher, well, you may want to wear a wicking layer. A pair of wicking socks will be a blessing during the hot days. During cold days, it allows you to get in and out of the wader much faster. Unlike neoprene, the wader don't hug your skin like a plastic sheets. It's like wearing a wind breaker for your entire body.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
catmandoo, I was really glad to read you two had on "safety equipment (life jackets I hope)". And you two didn't panic. Nice to know you guys know how to deal with panic and be calm.

Good luck fishing this year and stay safe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build