Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,072
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Shorthose, H20fwler, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261), 805 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#332779 04/30/13 05:53 PM
OP Offline
Small BOW behind my house is loaded with these minnows. Its in the woods, nobody has touched it in years. They certainly look like FH to me but I most minnows look the same to me. Can anyone positively ID these guys?

The black dots(parasite?) and lack of a black stripe (lateral line??) have me 2nd guessing.

Thanks for the help! Scott

Last edited by Scott Francis; 04/30/13 06:01 PM.
OP Offline
Anyone? Fatheads?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The nice thing about IDing fish is, there are only so many species they can be. Especially when they are living in a pond. When it comes to species of minnows/shiners living in ponds, the options narrow that much more.

I think the reason you aren't seeing a stripe is the water chemistry/clarity. The fish is an FHM.

OP Offline
Thank you, as I was waiting I did some more searching and came to the same general conclusion, either they were fatheads or they were bluntnose.

Thanks again, Scott

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you want to know what the black spots are, google fish black spot disease. Intermediary host are snails.....

These parasitic flatworms appear as tiny black spots on the skin, fins and flesh of fish. No method of control is available for the elimination of this problem. This organism does little harm to the fish. The main problem associated with black-spot is the unsightly appearance it may cause. Skinning infected fish will remove most black spots.

The life cycle of the parasite is quite complex. A fish-eating bird (typically a great blue heron or kingfisher) eats an infected fish. The black spot or worms are released and grow to sexual maturity in the bird's intestine. The adult worms pass eggs with the bird's droppings. When the eggs reach water, they hatch into free-swimming organisms which then penetrate snails for further development. Finally, after leaving the snails they burrow into the skin of fish and form a cyst. The fish surrounds the cyst with black pigment that gives the disease its name. If an infected fish is consumed by a bird, the cycle repeats itself.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Glad to know it isn't a big deal. I wonder if I put some snail eating sunfish in the pond it will help with parasites. Is it worth trying? I was going to use it as a forage pond so not sure if the sunfish will eat all my forage fish. Kind of a catch-22.

Should I not worry about it or would I be better off trying to control the snails.

Thanks, Scott

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
If the FH population is doing well and you are going to use it as a forage pond then leave it as is. Feeding a few pellets would help grow the FH and good spawning structure would help also.

You should give them a salt bath before putting them in another pond.

I bet the dark stripe becomes more obvious when spawning starts. Check and let us know.

Last edited by ewest; 05/01/13 09:13 AM.

OP Offline
Ok, have a salt bath setup. I found some info on it here and followed the instructions for a 1% solution before transfer.

Now before I continue, I caught this today. It is nearly 5" long. This looks like it could be a creek chub. This pond is in the woods. It is not creek fed as far as I can tell. There is a swampy marshy area adjacent but no creek. Am I on track here? Also, they aren't a problem to add to the bass pond are they? Seems they would just end up as LMB food.

Thanks, Scott

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yeah, that is a creek chub. Either someone bucket stocked it or during high water events, that pond gets over flow from a creek.

If stocked into a pond with bass, creek chubs make excellent bass forage. They just can't reproduce in ponds unless those ponds have a feeder stream they can ascend and spawn in. However, I don't think they are an ideal forage species because they themselves are predacious, you can see that by their big mouths. However, when stocked into a pond with LMB, they rarely last more than a few minutes...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Or it hitched in with the FHM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
that one looks like it may have already eaten a few FHM.

Originally Posted By: esshup

The life cycle of the parasite is quite complex. A fish-eating bird (typically a great blue heron or kingfisher) eats an infected fish. The black spot or worms are released and grow to sexual maturity in the bird's intestine. The adult worms pass eggs with the bird's droppings. When the eggs reach water, they hatch into free-swimming organisms which then penetrate snails for further development.

Thanks for giving me yet another reason to dislike the heron stalking my pond...

Give a few country boys a little money, beer, an arc welder and power tools and great things can happen...or someone is going to the hospital or jail.

I've eaten much fish with these black spots and I'm still alive smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You and me both! I don't know if I'd use them for sushi tho....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I think it is more of an issue can you eat the fish knowing they have parasites. As long as you get them hot enough, which is not an issue if frying, then you will kill them.

The black spots can be passed off as pepper, the white grubs not so much.

Either way I have eaten some of both, but have more issues with the grubs, and will not keep the fish if infested with them.

I cleaned a CC this past fall and the fillets were full of them. I went ahead and put the fish in the freezer in case it can be used during a fish fry, but not sure I want to cook it at all.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I am lucky enough to have both parasites in my fish ponds. frown I have them in my YP,BG, but have never found either of them in a BCP. Anybody with BCP's ever noticed this too? BCP's are what I serve at all my non outdoorsmen fish fry's wink

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Since RES probably would not live there, I wonder if Drum would be an option for you? I have thought about adding a few to one of my ponds just to see if they do happen to help the RES take care of the snails, assuming all of my RES were not eaten or have died.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Where are you going to get the drum from?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pumpkinseeds take the place of RES in colder waters.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I would have to get mine from the river as they are easy to catch there.

I should have mentioned pumpkinseeds as an option I was just tossing out the idea of drum.

I wish I had the money to dig one of the small ponds we have out to try the experiment I have been wanting to do with drum.

Plan to add a few when I get a chance just for fun to see if they will show any interest in feed. They will at least have many small fish to choose from. I have caught them on just about everything I have ever fished with.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bob Lusk - 03/28/24 10:06 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails