Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
So just in general for those who have or have had HSB in their ponds what seems to be your bait of choice for catching them? Anything that stands out above and beyond? I have caught a few on Meps/Rooster Tails, maybe 1 or 2 on Beatle Spins, but is there anything else out there that works REAL well for you, and if so what is it?

Thanks,

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
RC51....are HSB hard to catch in a pond?
I put a few in last Fall & have yet to see or catch one.
i dunno....maybe they all got eaten

Fishing has never been about the fish....

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
You're gonna' laugh......but we catch ours while catfishing, using hot dogs or chicken for bait...simply suspended below a float!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Zep
RC51....are HSB hard to catch in a pond?
I put a few in last Fall & have yet to see or catch one.
i dunno....maybe they all got eaten

Hey Zep not real hard I don't guess. I put 25 in my pond last April and I have caught about 6 of them I guess. I was just wondering if there was anything else out there that works well for others.

Sparkplug,

Quit yanking my chain man!! smile Bunch of hotdog eating HSB what's up with that!! LOL! No wonder I can't catch to many I haven't been using hotdogs! dang it man!! smile

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Well I can't speak for pond raised HSBs....but we fish for them on Norfork Lake in AR every spring (headed down that way the day after tomorrow) and we do best on suspending stickbaits fished REALLY slowly and also soft swimbaits. And if you can catch them feeding towards the top a zara spook or similar is a TON of fun...they'll knock that thing 4 feet in the air!

Man I'm getting excited just thinking about it....

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey dlowrance thanks for that info. You know last fall I was using a buzz frog and every once in a while I would have that thing fly up into the air like almost a foot but couild not catch whatever it was!! I thought it was my LMB but I bet it could have been my HSB trying to eat it they were just a little to small for the bait. I never thought of that....

Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
in clear water a rattle trap moved fast...
in choppy water a zara spook, torpedo, or even topwater chug

As mine are pellet-fed I've been trying to catch one as well to check their growth since stocking them Sept of last year. Even trying a pellet-fly in pantyhose but no luck (using AM500). Seems I've caught everything BUT the HSB's using night crawlers, beetle spins, tube jigs, Spooks, Sammie's, other topwaters, etc.

BUT, I just got in my first order of Stubby Steve's grin Buy 5 get one free or free shipping so I got 5 packs.

Originals, chubbys, and worms.

Anyone have luck with the HSB's with Stubby Steve's?

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Nuff Said on that one!

Thanks Esshup!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
laugh

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
Panther martins have worked for me, for older/smarter fish used to pellets chicken liver did the trick. Pellet fed older fish even refused stubby Steve's but they love meat...guess why hot dogs can even work....might even try that into a school of feeding HSB. Anyone have tips for the older / smarter fish in terms of artificials in clear water? They are so conditioned on pellets not sure any artificial would work.

I Subscribe!
3/4 Acre Pond: HSB,SMB,YP,HBG,RES
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup

I was worried that the brown ones may not work. At least in non-pond waters.

Must be the smell.

Were these on pellets?

Last edited by JKB; 04/24/13 04:53 PM.
J
Online Content
J
If you have schooling HSB on the surface, almost anything will work. Trolling deep diving baits such as Storm Thunderstick or deep diving crankbaits work on Lake Texoma. Spoons and jigs also work.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Beast man it's not that they are conditioned to pellets but rather to humans...those fish are still eating other natural foods, it's just they get super smart and know when people are around and even when they don't know your around they can see your line and hooks, etc...they become by far the smartest fish I have ever seen...

Fast baits like a rattle trap I have been able to get em to bite on, but even then I watch them race in and swirl off short at the last second once they figure out its not real...

B
B
Makes sense Nate, I will give the rattle traps a try... Hard not to throw the liver when they are schooled up, your advice last year really helped our success at this private lake/pond. Anything else besides the traps you use in clear water? I assume the retrieve is pretty fast. How is otter creek? Saw the crazy flooding in your area on your blog. Still probably the best two days of fishing I've ever had last sept. there...

I Subscribe!
3/4 Acre Pond: HSB,SMB,YP,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
those lakes made it through the storm just fine and should be back to normal real quick....the fishing there just keeps getting better and the scenery is the icing on the cake....

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I won't even mention flies - most versatile method for catching any kind of fish - wanna see my "hot dog" fly? grin
HSB are the easiest fish to catch that I know ... but as Nate says - too much pressure and too much noise will spook them.
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: n8ly
in clear water a rattle trap moved fast...
in choppy water a zara spook, torpedo, or even topwater chug

Hey Thanks n8ly I will try a trap. I have not had any luck with the S and S pellets. I think you are right about the clear water and the fish figuring you out. My water is quite clear and although it looks pretty and all that it's a lot harder to catch fish then in semi murky water. I.M.O. Guess that may be a good reason to start fertilizing or something else to make my pond a little less clear?

RC

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: RC51
So just in general for those who have or have had HSB in their ponds what seems to be your bait of choice for catching them? Anything that stands out above and beyond? I have caught a few on Meps/Rooster Tails, maybe 1 or 2 on Beatle Spins, but is there anything else out there that works REAL well for you, and if so what is it?

Thanks,

Stubby Steve's - hands down. Done just like esshup's pic

Last edited by ewest; 04/24/13 08:56 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
4# Flurocarbon line, #10 Owner Mosquito Hook, 2 pellets to float and to cast. One up on the line right above the knot, other one on the hook, covering the knot.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
4# Flurocarbon line, #10 Owner Mosquito Hook, 2 pellets to float and to cast. One up on the line right above the knot, other one on the hook, covering the knot.

Sooo you leave the actual hook bare just sitting there for the fish to see? Can't believe that works but I'll try it.... I put 4 on a hook with a bobber 3 feet up and couldn't get a bite? I was using a #6 hook though and 6lbs liine.

Rc

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RC51

Sooo you leave the actual hook bare just sitting there for the fish to see? Can't believe that works but I'll try it.... I put 4 on a hook with a bobber 3 feet up and couldn't get a bite? I was using a #6 hook though and 6lbs liine.

Rc

Not really. The 2nd pellet is over the knot, hook eye and part of the hook leaving enough room for a clean hookset. The hooks are SHARP!, you don't really need to set the hook, the HSB do it by themselves. If you drag the hook point over your thumbnail it won't slide, it'll start to dig in. Try that with an eagle claw or mustad and you'll see the difference. There's a reason why the hooks are more expensive.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Steve is supposed to be trying out the Chubbys this afternoon (if he gets a chance ) for the larger HSB. It's terrible, but we've never even tried them in his pond. I'll be curious about the outcome!

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
That IS terrible and should be corrected immediately!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images