Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 824 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
W
I restored a ¾ acre pond here in NE Texas last year, and have some vegetation that I would appreciate having help in identifying and controlling. The first appears to be “Sedge”, quickly emerging and spreading around the water’s edge. I would like to eliminate a large portion of this grass, then prevent it from completely dominating the shoreline. Any suggestions for chemical or physical control, or both ? The second concern is a small, floating foliage, rooted in the very shallow water, that appears to be fairly fast growing and possibly invasive. I have not been successful in identifying the plant, therefore don’t know whether or not I should be overly concerned. Obviously, it is much thicker than depicted in the attached photos, during the warmer months. I have attached several pics that will hopefully be of assistance.

Should I initiate some control measures and if so, what would be recommended.

Attached Images
1 12 to 2 inches dia..JPG Floating.JPG Size.JPG Sedge.JPG

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment". Will Rogers

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today". Will Rogers
Lunker
Lunker
One of the plants is Primrose (Ludwigia spp - several types in TX).
http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/visual-index/water-primrose/
http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/water-primrose/

The other is likely a type of soft rush (Juncus spp)
http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/soft-rush/
- or possibly bullrush (Scirpus spp)
http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/bulrush/
Hard to verify from the photo.
You might check the descriptions for both and compare to a specimen from your pond.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I have heard southern guys state Primrose can be invasive, but I've not experienced it up here so I'm not certain. I've never heard of sedge being invasive [but that doesn't mean anything]. I encourage all shoreline grass to establish and spread to help control erosion and utlize as many nutrients as possible so less desirable cultivars don't get started [FA, heavy plantonic algae blooms, etc.]. At least up North the sedge I encounter is always confined to very shallow water and is considered a benefit and is usually short. I at least would prefer sedge to cattails any time.

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 03/04/13 04:32 PM. Reason: added a couple items to appear less unlearned

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The soft rush Juncus and bullrush as TJ says are often better shoreline habitat compared to cattails. Bullrush can spread fairly quickly. Soft rush is better than bullrush IMO because the soft rush Juncus is not as invasive and does not get as tall nor grow as deep as bullrush. Several of the Juncus species grow fairly short (2ft) and result in good cover for small fish and stabilzes shoreline to reduce erosion also as noted by TJ. Look as the shape and location of seed heads next summer and that will help you or us in identifying which types of rush you have.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/04/13 03:41 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Primrose and Rush as Kelly said.

I've used Rodeo on both with good if not always permanent results. Both seem to self control in the Fall with the water level drop, but come back in the Spring.

I like Primrose, but very few people do. The fry stay in it, which attracts CNBG, which attracts LMB. If the bank that it's on is step enough, it tends to self control and stay pinned, extending 5-6' from the last root set. If the bank has a shallow grade, or the water is very clear, then it can spread uncontrollably, and be unattractive and very hard to bank fish from.

TJ and Bill are right on point about rushes and erosion. My ducks nest in it, and the water where I have it seems to stay clearer than those that don't. I have always sprayed the ends of the runs first, to keep it pinned into areas I want it. It can take over the entire shoreline if not controlled.

If you use a herbicide, be sure and use a surfactant with it. Both plants tend to be waxy, and you'll get far better results.

Hope this helps, and the above are just my personal experiences with both plants in the NE TX area.

AL

Lunker
Lunker
WC

So...if you have abundant shallow water or gentle slopes [4:1 or more] you might want to keep an eye on the Primrose as it can spread fast. My recommendation on the sedge is to let them grow and determine if they are a large or shorter cultivar. I am assuming you'd prefer the shorter variety, regardless it is good shoreline cover and helps stablize banks and will utilize excess nutrients that could be used by the Primrose.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
So...if you have abundant shallow water or gentle slopes [4:1 or more] you might want to keep an eye on the Primrose as it can spread fast.

Good point to reemphasize!

As much as I like it, I'm always a smidge leery about offering any positive comments about it. I've seen what can happen if uncontrolled, and it's not pretty.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 03/07/13 05:59 AM.

AL

W
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
W
Thanks, gentlemen. I'm amazed that I didn't find the primrose on the TAMU site......just looked at the first picture, and it doesn't at all resemble my plant. So, I just blew it off and went on searching...Duhhh !

I suppose I'll watch the plants this summer and make a determination in the fall. I do not have much shallow water at all, so maybe the primrose won't be a problem. Just want to make sure folks can still fish from the banks. Maybe with Rodeo, I can keep the sedge to a managable, small portion of the shoreline. Thanks, again.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment". Will Rogers

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today". Will Rogers
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Small amounts of primrose are easy to rake out. Goats love the stuff (see George). I have much more trouble with pondweed ( Potamogeton gramineus ). The soft rush is not too hard to control and I leave most of it alone. In the grand scheme of things you have 2 of the better/easier plants to deal with.

D
D
If you wait until fall to treat primrose, it "hardens off" significantly and is more difficult to control. I would recommend a 2,4-D amine with a good methylated seed oil surfactant. Knock it out early, there are plenty other less invasive plants that provide fish habitat/refuge.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM