Brent - While there is a lot of good info above; I suggest that you step back and figure out what you really have for a pond and what it contains for fish and etc.

Every pond Minnesota is different. There are many 6-10 foot deep ponds around here that haven't had winter kills in my life-time. Gathering opinions and anecdotal evidence is a part of the process, but that is far less important than actual observations and sampling.

A one time D.O. test will give you information about a single point in time. Ponds are living things and like any living thing they are changing on a continuous basis. While interesting, that point in time test really won't tell you a lot.

If you haven't checked my Weekly Observations it may be worth a look.

Think of it this way; your 10 acre pond probably contains around 25,000,000 gallons of water. It will be a big (but fun) job figuring out what all those gallons contain.

I suggest fishing that pond hard for a year to see what you have for fish populations. If you can afford it, you could hire professionals do the fish survey. If your budget is limited, just go fishing a lot and get your friends and family to help. Keep records and after a period of time the picture will begin clearing.

And finally, keep the DNR out of your business unless you have a DNR officer that has been your best friend for life. Even then........

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather