Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 823 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I agree with hang loose, paying attention to your dog is probably the most important thing you can do. Its about quality of life, not quantity.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I'm surprised no one recomended a little brother or sister to make her more active. My mom's dog always had weight issues until they adopted another dog. Now they run and play and old Sammie has dropped a lot of weight. I think the reason my dogs are in perfect shape is because they run and play with each other. I keep thier bowl full and they have never been a pound over weight. Of course quality food is very important as well, but I think Cecil has that covered. C'mon Cecil, save another pooch and I bet you your Akita will drop some pounds.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Great idea Sue, but be careful depending on the temperment of your Akita!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sue Cruz
I'm surprised no one recomended a little brother or sister to make her more active. My mom's dog always had weight issues until they adopted another dog. Now they run and play and old Sammie has dropped a lot of weight. I think the reason my dogs are in perfect shape is because they run and play with each other. I keep thier bowl full and they have never been a pound over weight. Of course quality food is very important as well, but I think Cecil has that covered. C'mon Cecil, save another pooch and I bet you your Akita will drop some pounds.

Good idea Sue but due to the major highway in front of the house I'm terrified to take her off the walking leash, so two dogs playing freely in the yard might not be a good idea.

When we first got her she got loose and headed for the highway. She was just standing there in the highway oblivious to the cars and missed getting hit by a few inches. A woman on a cell phone never even saw her. Imagine that a big brown white dog and you never see it. It explains why people hit deer here all the time.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RAH
Great idea Sue, but be careful depending on the temperment of your Akita!

My Akita female seems to be the exception to the rule. She's the least aggressive dog I've ever had, although she is protective and barks at strangers. Scott will probably agree as he rough houses with her.

One concern I would have though is jealousy. I've seen some really jealous dogs when a new dog is brought into the household.

My last dog freaked when I brought in a stray puppy and kept it in the garage until the humane society picked it up. She marked her territory wherever she found it's scent.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
R
Cecil I thought I'd add that my old rottweiler mix loved baby carrots,she would actually eat just about anything to be honest but the carrots where her "doggy treats' wink

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Could consider a cat, unless the dog thinks its a treat which would not help with the weight loss.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

You've almost got the whole back yard fenced, it wouldn't take too much to finish fencing it off, then you could let the 2 play out there.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Scott,

Actually with the cost of those panels (I'd prefer to finish with all panels) it's a few hundred dollars more. But it will happen at some point. I'd getting tired of the neighbor's dog snooping around and pooping in my yard too. I've jumped the neighbor about it more than once and he doesn't care. I told him my dog is about 8 times bigger than his too and she kills muskrats the size of his dog. Still doesn't phase him.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Originally Posted By: hang_loose
Rex, I know they're all romping around a beautiful pond somewhere.... Now I'm not trying to kiss up to you but you look way to young to have a grandaughter her age.

Cecil, you could get a puppy for her to play with. Its funny how a puppy will bring out the puppy in an older dog.

Beat you to it Sue wink. One more observation on this, I noticed when our older dogs would kinda lose their appetite, there was no way some puppy was going to come in and eat "their food" out of "their bowl" (so they would clean their bowl). But they would still play and chase each other out in the yard. The tug of wars were comical. And it was nice to see them "cuddling and sleeping" with each other after they wore each other out.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Scott,

Actually with the cost of those panels (I'd prefer to finish with all panels) it's a few hundred dollars more. But it will happen at some point. I'd getting tired of the neighbor's dog snooping around and pooping in my yard too. I've jumped the neighbor about it more than once and he doesn't care. I told him my dog is about 8 times bigger than his too and she kills muskrats the size of his dog. Still doesn't phase him.

Cecil, my nephew told me that a paintball gun works wonders for that. BUT, he said it leaves no incriminating evidence if you first put the paintballs in the freezer so they don't break...............

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
With my luck I'd probably kill the dog. It's one of those little lap dogs.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil, I have heard that some jerk around my land has been known to haul "stray" dogs to the SPCA a couple of cities away.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave,

LOL I heard about that. I decided to not push it until I get the fence up as he could cause trouble for me. I'm raising fish as on a small scale fish farm and technically not zoned for it. Better not to open a can of worms.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, his straying dog may not be a big issue.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
R

I think he meant the owner of the dog and not the little critter itself wink

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ

I think he meant the owner of the dog and not the little critter itself wink

Right! grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Still sticking to my guns on reducing the food of the dog and no people food, but I am adding a little chicken or beef broth to the dry dog food. I can't see how that would hurt.And we are also walking daily with few exceptions.

She can't understand why she isn't sharing our food anymore though.

Be cautious of adding liquid to dry kibble if the kibble contains citric acid as it could cause bloating. Most better quality kibble uses vitamin E where adding liquid can make a good gravy but just an FYI on the citric acid. Also, a low sodium broth is recommended as too much sodium is not necessarily good for dogs.

I wish you and your dog the best, Cecil she knows you're trying!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks! I wasn't aware of that!

I'm not sure she knows I'm trying. She gives me looks like, "What did I do wrong? Why can't I eat with the pack?"

cecil I am glad to see that there is some one else besides my mom that will not give table scraps. If your pup refuses to eat the kibble and only will eat people food don't give in. my sister got a dog when she was little and it would only eat sraps my mom refused to give them to the dog.he eventualy got hungry and started to eat the kibble the dog hated my mom for that but but i think the feeling was mutual. grin

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
R
R
Cecil,I emailed my cousin who is a vet because this is a issue I've had in the past for her opinion.I would have done so sooner but she just had her first child and being a new father myself I know how that goes.When i hear from her I will post what she has to say.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, if you leave the kibble dry it will also keep her teeth cleaner.

I second about the salt in the broth not being good for them (depending on quantity).

Don't cave in, leave it dry is my feelings. If she's hungry, she'll eat it.

If I fill Kate's bowl, it'll take her 2 days to finish it. I was watching a buddy's lab, and it took her less than 5 seconds to finish up her food. She didn't bother chewing, nad it looked like she was drinking water the way she lapped up the dried kibble. I ended up feeding both dogs in different rooms, and if Kate didn't finish her food in 15 minutes, it was picked up. After 4-5 days she learned that she had to eat it when it was put down. It took her about 2 weeks to go back to her old habit of just picking at her food all day long after the other dog left.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Cecil, you have a lot of friends just on this site. Talk to some vets and use common sense. This is just my opinion but "if the dogs too fat, diet and exercise...to skinny,feed'em...been starved, feed them till they are happy".

I hope you don't get mad at me for saying this but put some of your fish raising energy into that big old puppy you have. Beautiful dog!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thank you all for the suggestions and tough love is indeed the best way to go on this. And there 's no reason to get mad at you hang_loose. I have to keep reminding myself if she really is hungry she will eat the dry food.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?