Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#322636 02/19/13 11:10 AM
I
Instar Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I am looking for a source for the accepted Fulton's factor values for common carp (Cyrinus carpio).

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Is Fulton's factor values the same as relative weight?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Instar, this is probably more information than you want, but maybe not?? smile Regardless, here goes. It's really hard to find accepted values for Fulton's condition index because the values get larger as fish get bigger. So, as an example, the accepted values for 10-15 inch carp would be a lot lower than for 25-30 inch carp. I hope that makes sense. If you are familiar with Fulton's condition factor, you might be familiar with Carlander's Handbook of Freshwater Fishery Biology, Volume 1? It would at least have some comparison information on Fulton's K from other fish populations across North America. I might be able to photocopy those pages and mail them to you??

Instar, if you meant the standard weight equation for common carp (so you can calculate relative weight, as Scott asked in response to you), I have that in either metric (mm-g) or English (inches-pounds) units. I could give you the equation right away here on the Forum, or if you gave me a day or so, I could get an extended standard weight table for common carp. I'd need to know if you wanted inches-pounds, or mm-g.

Scott, no, Fulton's condition factor is not the same as relative weight. It was a pre-cursor and is more difficult to use. Again, this is probably overkill but Fulton's condition factor using fish total length and metric units (mm-g) is 100,000 times the weight, then divided by the length cubed. smile Sorry....

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is the history - btw Fulton did not devise the idea or formula nor is it particularly accurate even though used for a long time.

http://folk.uib.no/nfiag/nfiag/reprints/NashETAL2006Fisheries.pdf

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Dave, now I see why RW got popular.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yes, Dave, you always quickly cut to the heart of the matter. smile

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dr. Dave (to differentiate from the Guv):

I thought I read something a while back and then it bounced to RW (WR), with a formula, so that's why I was asking.

Now, the big question is:

For our purposes, are the RW charts "good enough" for wild caught and raised fish? Or is Fultons Factor more accurate?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
There are other condition indices. Fulton is not particularly accurate. Sex , time of year , spawning condition , location , species and size class among others.

RW and the eyeball test are enough IMO.

Just went back over Wr (relative weight), Kn (relative condition factor) and Fulton in Fisheries Tech 2nd and am even more uncertain. Looks like they all have limitations but do provide useful info.

Last edited by ewest; 02/19/13 10:04 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Scott, both Wr and Fulton's condition factor (usually K or C) use the same information, so honestly would have the same accuracy. Did the pondowner or biologist use a good scale or cheap scale, did they measure to the millimeter or just to one inch, or even are they using mm-grams vs inches-pounds? I will spare you the discussion of accuracy vs precision. smile

"Good" or "high" Fulton's (or similar) condition factors will vary by fish species and by fish size, so it is hard to interpret without comparison data. I think that is what Instar was originally requesting. The advantage of Wr is that a value of 100 means the same thing for all fish species, and all lengths of fish within a species. Thus, much easier to use. However, you have to have that reliable standard weight equation of expected weights by length for each fish species. Do you trust the darn scoundrels (darn biologists) who created each equation? smile

Now for an advertisement! Just by chance, Sir Lusk and I are just starting a series of articles on Wr in Pond Boss magazine. In the upcoming issue, we talk about how to calculate Wr, warn a little bit about how the Wr values will change seasonally, and then provide the standard weight tables for largemouth bass and bluegill. For the next year or so, we'll work through a lot of the common fish species. Right now, I'm working on the article for the May/June issue in which we are doing walleye and yellow perch ("coolwater" fishes). So, everyone stay tuned for that. Advertisement closed. smile

I
Instar Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks gentlemen.

For some reason, PondBoss did not notify me of comments to my original post.
I have found the Fulton's factor condition values for most other freshwater game fish, but not common carp.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dave:

Those articles will be a good library reference! Thanks for the answers.

A for do I trust them, it depends who they are. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images