Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 823 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My Akita topped the scales at 121 lbs. the other day at the vet which is an all time high for her.

It's time to get serious as i want her around for a while and she'll be prone to arthritis and diabetes if she doesn't get her weight down.

She's now on 3 cups of dog food per day (a cup below what the vet said is the right amount for her) and I walk her a half a mile a day now along with the 3 X daily she walks the perimeter of the 3 acre property. I'm going to increase it gradually to a mile or more.

Yes she did get people food with her dog food but that's in the past.

Anybody else have issues with an overweight dog?

I believe the dog is on a hunger strike as she refuses to eat the dry dog food. She give's me the this look like, "I'm not eating that! That's dog food!

Truthfully I suspect thyroid issues as the amount she ate didn't seem enough to cause this kind of weight gain. But the vet says she's negative although thyroid tests can be tricky.

Anybody go through this and have any helpful advice.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/14/13 05:35 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes. We cut back the food 1/3 as per vet and reduced snacks to dog treats. Increased exercise somewhat as he had hip problems from being too big and malnourished as a puppy before I picked him up in the woods. He lost from 105 to 80 lbs. Hip problems are much better but still a problem to watch. Swimming is great for them and ours loves the water.

From your pics I also suspect thyroid or other issues. I was shocked to see the change from before.

Big size

Slim mode

Last edited by ewest; 02/14/13 09:11 PM.

C
C
Greetings Cecil!

If weight loss is slow, then you may wish to add some coconut oil to the kibble you feed. Studies were done to determine coconut's potential for animal feed (cattle, pigs, ...) but the problem was that the addition of coconut oil in the diet resulted in lean animals without the desired fat percentages. There are also some studies on coconut oil aiding sluggish thyroids.

I have three lovely Scottish Deerhounds. Very big girls who can counter surf the kitchen. I give them a high protien,fat, grain free kibble (>600 Kcal/cup), one raw egg, a large glob of coconut oil, 1/3 bannana, 1/3 apple with either a glob of peanut butter or vanilla yogurt just for breakfast. Then treats after each walk and table food for din-din. Their activity level is not high. All are lean muscle. And yes, many have said they want to die and come back as one of my girls....

Regards!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Eric, good looking happy dog there. You too have shed several lbs between PB Conferences. Well done!

Also, word from NASA is they can see the glare from your legs from the International space station. grin

Sorry man, I couldn't resist! You owe me one, and I'm a helluva easy target.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Royal Canin makes Maxi weight Care and a diabetic dog food you can get from a vet.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
http://www.royalcanin.us/products/produc...-weight-care-27
http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=12964520
I package these feeds full time and they are of great quality. The price is a little high, but you get what you pay for i guess.

R
R
My sister switched her beagle to Blue Buffalo and he lost weight and just all around improved.She swears it added years to his life,he was around 18+ when we had to take him in.Towards the end he had some urinary issues and we also used the Royal Canin with positive results although you need a vet prescription to get it,it is simple to do as petsmart will give you a card to scan at the register.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Buddy, the guy shown below is now running with the site's deceased Mascot "Mason". He was 135# of solid muscle that played like a pup every day of his life till suddenly paralyzed one morning, lying as always, beside me. He never ate anything but Purina Pro Plan. I raised Shepherds for years and like Aquamax, it is highly digestible...by far the best feed I ever used...4 cups per 100 pounds of dog.

Buddy had also developed arthritis in his hips, yet in true shepherd style, ignored pain and it was a spinal disc that finally gave way from deteroration, ruptured and cut the spinal cord. He weighed <6 pounds when he came into our lives.

Buddy...11/09/2001-11/08/2012

We sure do miss the huge shadow!!!

Last edited by Rainman; 02/14/13 07:38 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Feed less they will lose weight.. Takes time I've done with a weiner dog and a beagle both were Roley Poley's had to take them down to 1 cup a day 1/2 in am 1/2 in pm.. They'll lose the weight if fed properly..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow Rex that has got to be one of the most beautiful specimens of a German Shepard I have ever seen bar none! Wow!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

Like Rex, I've fed Purina Pro Plan since I got my first Springer in the early '90's.

It's a combination of amount of dog food, treats (even Peanut Butter) and exercise. Dog treats are just as bad for them as junk food is for us.

If she doesn't want to eat her food, she will when she gets hungry enough. I know it's hard, but tough love will be good for her. Split up the feedings in 2 or 3 sessions. If she doesn't finish the food from any of the feeding sessions, skip the next one. Feed good food, not the crap from Wally World, etc. Dog food is just like the fish food. Better food is more expensive, but a LOT better for the dog. Better food means less to pick up after it leaves the dog too.

Her joints will have less wear & tear, and her overall health will improve if she drops some weight.

Remember Anna from here a few years ago? She helped me with Cal when he was diagnosed with his heart murmur, and helped CJ with his dog when it was bit by the Copperhead. She has a business that is pet related.

Well, it seems that the website is no longer up and running, so I don't know if the business is a victim of the economy or what. Here's the info that I had for it:
Wholesome Hound
2005 S Brannon Stand Rd
Dothan, AL 36305
(334) 685-0002

Here's my experience just to give you an idea of how many calories dogs can burn.

28# Springer Spaniel. Reba

During the "off" season to keep her weight constant, I fed her 1 1/2 cups of Purina Pro Plan Performance Blend.

When I was field trialing her, and running her for hunters at a local put-n-take pheasant farm, I'd have to feed her twice a day, each time feeding her 2 1/2 cups of the same food. During training, she'd have 9 bird "contacts" per day, which meant that she'd be running between 30 to 45 minutes per day in 10 to 15 minute increments. We trained every other day, and usually hit a field trial once or twice a month. Put-n-take pheasant farm was once or twice a month too, but she'd be running for a total of an hour or so (maybe 2 depending on the number of birds put down)in 10-15 minute increments.

So, she'd bounce from 1 1/2 cups per day to 5 cups per day just to keep her weight constant.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks everyone!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
TJ I think those legs blinded someone on the space shuttle. Never have figured out why that pics is that way - legs do have pigment and not bleached white. laugh

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Think of the bright side Eric (no pun intended). You'll never have to worry about skin cancer on those legs!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Lol I had to go back and look again I thought he had his socks pulled up to his knees smile

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Lunker
Lunker
Eric is smart...I am beginning to see the effects of many years of excessive sun exposure. I typically work the farm in shorts and sandals with no cap all Spring, Summer, and as late into Fall as I can stand. I need to start covering up.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

TJ, smart move. I started the same plan this year after farming in flip flops for years. All I have to show for it is skin spots, and rebar wounds. Dicky's shirts and boonie hats for me now.

AL

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
My sister switched her beagle to Blue Buffalo and he lost weight and just all around improved.She swears it added years to his life,he was around 18+ when we had to take him in.Towards the end he had some urinary issues and we also used the Royal Canin with positive results although you need a vet prescription to get it,it is simple to do as petsmart will give you a card to scan at the register.

Rainman, I'm in no way affiliated with the sales department of my company, but our German Shepard breed specific food gets rave reviews from people I know. Police forces across the country feed this product to Their K9 heroes. The only other one we make that compares is Yorkshire food we make from personal experience.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Cecil, beautiful dog. I wish I could keep mine that clean. Like ewest said, cut back on food and a little more exercise. My sister cuts bananas into slices and then freezes them for dog treats. Don't know if it helps with their weight but they're not overweight.

ewest, beautiful dog and I agree with you on having dogs swim for exercise. Just like people, its a lot easier on their joints and over-heating isn't a problem. I hate seeing panting dogs trying to keep up with their jogger owner. I'm sure some dogs like it but I kinda feel sorry for them.

Rainman, Sorry to hear about Buddy. He looks perfect! I love the first picture of Buddy and your daughter. Is Buddy the dog that was with Mason in one of your pictures?

One more thing Cecil, I missed you 2 yrs ago at the OAA meeting because we were late. This year, you no-showed (I'm not picking on you) but I heard people talking very highly of you. Maybe next year I'll get to meet you.
Good luck with your Akita. Take her for some nice walks.

J
J
Dolly, our 2 year old springer keeps both of us trim even though she eats far better people food then I do as a vegan. She lives to walk and hunt and so my day starts in the dark walking about every other hour and ends at dusk. Thanks to Dolly I am in better shape then most people half my age. If she ever starts to get heavy I will cut her food. She just came into the computer room for the next walk. This is the third walk this morning and it isn't light out yet.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Wow Rex that has got to be one of the most beautiful specimens of a German Shepard I have ever seen bar none! Wow!

Thanks Cecil. He was a truly stately, protective, intelligent, proud and loyal part of our family. Cathy teared up as she saw me making the post. It tore us up to have to put him down, especially that he went out such a helpless way. I would have posted about his loss when it happened, but for some reason, this post still gets the keyboard a little moist...

Lunker
Lunker
All I can say is good luck. I have a 7 year old ChocoLab neutered male that I've tried to thin down. I think if I fed him nothing but celery and ice cubes he'd still be fat.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: hang_loose
Rainman, Sorry to hear about Buddy. He looks perfect! I love the first picture of Buddy and your daughter. Is Buddy the dog that was with Mason in one of your pictures?

Yes Mark...Buddy and Mason enjoyed a nice play break together in Mason's long trip to you. That is my grand daighter in the picture with Buddy last summer.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Rex, I know they're all romping around a beautiful pond somewhere.... Now I'm not trying to kiss up to you but you look way to young to have a grandaughter her age.

Cecil, you could get a puppy for her to play with. Its funny how a puppy will bring out the puppy in an older dog.

R
R
Originally Posted By: Bullhead
All I can say is good luck. I have a 7 year old ChocoLab neutered male that I've tried to thin down. I think if I fed him nothing but celery and ice cubes he'd still be fat.

My sister tried about everything with Sammy the beagle and while the Blue Buffalo food wasnt a magic pill over time he had more energy and lost weight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?