Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
There are also a number of issues with large scale aquaponics, even including e-coli issues.

Ken,

How are there ecoli issues with large scale aquaponics when ecoli only comes from mammals and not cold blooded animals like fish?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
catmandoo

deep bows

you da man

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

What are marmokreb crayfish?

http://www.utpa.edu/faculty/zfaulkes/marmorkrebs/#Links

PAUL
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There are also a number of issues with large scale aquaponics, even including e-coli issues.

Ken,

How are there ecoli issues with large scale aquaponics when ecoli only comes from mammals and not cold blooded animals like fish?

The huge spring that provides water to the raceways receives both groundwater and runoff from nearby cattle fields well above the spring, and well away from the spring. The water is run through UV light before entering the raceways, but there is always some present, or the possibility of it being present is always there. If the cut lettuce is accidentally splashed with water, or if some leaves happen to touch the water, they become contaminated and cannot be commercially used.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Ken,

The huge spring that provides water to the raceways receives both groundwater and runoff from nearby cattle fields well above the spring, and well away from the spring. The water is run through UV light before entering the raceways, but there is always some present, or the possibility of it being present is always there. If the cut lettuce is accidentally splashed with water, or if some leaves happen to touch the water, they become contaminated and cannot be commercially used.

I see. I do know UV is not always 100 percent depending on the water clarity and how old the bulbs are.

So they are utilizing raceways and not jut the large circular tanks for the trout?

One thing has me baffled. How the side drain of the Cornell dual drain they use does not regulate the depth of the water as it appears to be below the water's surface of the circular tank. It doesn't seem logical to me.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/14/13 06:43 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil,

Yes, the water just flows through the raceways, to a large aquaculture greenhouse, through an even larger aquaculture high tunnel, and then through a bio filter bag before going into about a half-acre pond used for growing things like water cress. The water then goes into a creek where it is purer than when it comes out of the spring.

If anybody wants to visit sometime, just let me know and we can arrange such a visit. It is always changing, but here is a little info from about 18 months ago. Reymann Farm

Ken

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I was thinking of the wrong facility then. I was thinking of the Freshwater Institute in Shepardstown. Didn't you do some work there too?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I just get to visit there. For our WV Aqualculture Association conference next week, we get to tour the National Center for Cool and Cold Water Aquaculture, also near Shepherds town. I just get to visit there too. But, we've got some pretty neat aquaculture/agriculture research facilities all around the state.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I am clearly out of my league here, but I think the ecoli issue needs to be clarified

Ecoli is an issue as you mention above because of outside contamination

Fish do not carry ecoli, and therefore this would not be an issue with a closed loop
Backyard system, unless ecoli was introduced from another source (ie humans)

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
National Center for Cool and Cold Water Aquaculture, rainbow trout research, pdf of powerpoints which is kinda interesting and kinda dated

http://aquaculture.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/45461

http://aquaculture.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/59158

http://aquaculture.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/59157

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Aquaculture at Reymann Memorial Farm

http://aquaculture.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/45639

"theft by 2 footed wingless predators"

C
Lunker
Lunker
C

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
forum schedule, lots of good topics for pond bosses, and aquaponics (thread title)

http://www.aquaculture.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/148561

probly old news, but still time to get there, but alas not me

and ken, (how many kens are there in WV?), the posters (i think the wall variety) sound interesting, please include pictures of them with your report smile

The speakers sound interesting too and they are pulling them in from Arkansas and Tennessee. And further down "This presentation will describe the format and principles relevant to conducting aquaponics with profit in mind."

ok, last link on WV aquaponics, interesting for me

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

That's partially mine -- I'm hosting/moderating the pond-related sessions and Dr. Ken Semmens has the producer half. Bob Lusk (Mr. Pond Boss) has graciously agreed to do the opening for my sessions on Friday and Saturday. You can find a little more about it from my previous post - Mid-Atlantic Pond Conference

We've still got plenty of room. Come on down.

Ken

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
sorry, but here is old forum presentations and posters, it just looks like too much, to not have 1 more link

http://aquaculture.ext.wvu.edu/forums

including our Kens 2009 presentation, with Cecil making an appearance
http://aquaculture.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/45455

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: cliffbrook
Aquaculture at Reymann Memorial Farm

http://aquaculture.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/45639

"theft by 2 footed wingless predators"

Wow. That is an old presentation. Those photos are at least 10 years old. It looks a lot different now.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I just get to visit there. For our WV Aqualculture Association conference next week, we get to tour the National Center for Cool and Cold Water Aquaculture, also near Shepherds town. I just get to visit there too. But, we've got some pretty neat aquaculture/agriculture research facilities all around the state.

You must have a good politician funneling dollars into your state. Mods if this is inappropriate please delete.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: gallop
I am clearly out of my league here, but I think the ecoli issue needs to be clarified

Ecoli is an issue as you mention above because of outside contamination

Fish do not carry ecoli, and therefore this would not be an issue with a closed loop
Backyard system, unless ecoli was introduced from another source (ie humans)

Gallop,

Thanks. I think Cat and I know that, but it's good you brought it up so others can makes sure they understand that.

I think one of the many strong points of Aquaponics if done without any contamination by outside mammal excretion is the lack of ecoli.

U
OP Offline
U
I may not have a choice since we appear to be stuck in this drought...all the outdoor ponds are drying up around here.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Join the club. Sadly most of the country is well below normal precip and has been since late spring of last year. Of course I'm sure it's not as bad as you but still not good. We haven't even had much snow precip here.

Sure glad I can top off my ponds with a well. Just hope this doesn't continue for a while or a well may not help.

F
F
An idea I had was to use the barn as a fish space and cut out one side and add a solar green house for aquaponics. Use the barn side as a solar generator.

Your pond could be done as a shrimp farm if you design right. Use water from pond for vegetables that can't be done in aquaponics or a nursery.

Last edited by Firewalker; 02/10/13 12:01 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails