Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bill Cody, Joe7328, Theschack, ArkieJig, jpsdad, FishinRod), 987 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
You guys hear about this? If it's accurate, it seems an extremely ridiculous reaction by the IN DNR. Can't Scott and Cecil make a call or something on behalf of this poor couple?

Jeff and Jennifer Counceller thought were doing the right thing when they saved the life of an injured baby deer they found near their home in Indiana. But because they didn't have a permit, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is prosecuting them and they could face up to 60 days in prison. The DNR should drop these charges now.

When they found the fawn on a neighbor’s porch in 2010, she was badly injured with puncture wounds that were infected and had maggots in them. Jennifer, a registered nurse and wound caretaker for the couple’s dogs and horses took the deer home and named it Dani and began nursing the deer back to health.

When they called the DNR they were told to return the deer to the wild and let nature take it’s course. That would have been a death sentence for the deer. Instead, they tried to find Dani a home at animal rescue operations, petting zoos and deer farms, but no one would take her. The Counceller's decided to keep caring for the deer until it was strong enough to make it on it’s own in the wild.

This past summer the DNR started an investigation into the situation and a DNR official recommended they get a permit to rehabilitate Dani. The DNR then denied the permit application and then said the deer would have to killed.

Just before DNR officials arrived at the Counceller's house to kill Dani she escaped through a gate that was left open. Now, the DNR has assigned a special prosecutor to the case and they're charging both Jeff and Jennifer with illegal possession of a white-tailed deer.

Jeff is a police officer and Jennifer is a nurse - these are good people who were just trying to the right thing by saving an injured animal. They don't deserve to go to jail and the DNR should drop all charges against them.

We're asking that you sign the petition and also join the fight on our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/connersvillecharges

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Didn't hear about this. Sounds like someone is going way overboard with enforcement.

Here's hoping they get a more open minded judge than the enforcement division.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Your state tax dollars at work! Brilliant.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I heard about this. It's kinda like jailing the California guy for collecting rain water.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Typical over enforcement of ridiculous laws while child molesters walk the street damn near freely..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I heard this on the news some time ago. "Stupid is as stupid does." It takes an individual or several individuals with no common sense to enforce rules that make no sense in a perticular case, but unfortunately common sense no longer seems to be common.

M
M
No common sense by the DNR. If they would have humanley "put the deer down" they probably would charge them with poaching. I have met some good DNR officers, but there are some always some in every group....

My momma never accused me of being to smart....
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
The Indiana DNR personel that I have met have all been great. I am hopeful that this will not proceed. I understand the need to start with trying to get the deer to an aproved wildlife rehabilitator, but if this fails, there should be some flexibility to find the next best option. If someone wants to try to help and they are not causing undue suffering by the animal (or other distructive action), it is misguided to prevent this. If folks would consider the objective of the law and then see if a particular prosecution of a case achieves this, then all this silliness would disappear. It should be criminal to punish well-meaning folks that are not causing harm to others. The DNR should be asking who they are protecting and what good will come from their actions?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I believe that mistakes were made on both sides. When this type of wounded animal situation happens in my part of Indiana, it doesn't make the evening news, or the hometown newspaper. It's not even fodder for discussion around the "regulars" table during breakfast at the restaurant.

I suppose that growing up in the fields and the woods may have afforded me a different perspective. Nature is non-discriminatory in this manner. She doesn't always differentiate, and the young, cuddly,and cute die right alongside older, infirmed animals.

Most folks I know just accept it as fact and go on. The three "S's" aren't always applied against troublesome animals....sometimes, it can be a matter of compassion, and ending suffering.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This is another case of trial by the media. I'm taking the other side of the courtroom - I think they should be fined and not let the law be selectively enforced. I don't believe that the infraction is severe enough to warrant the book being thrown at them tho. The guy is a police officer - I wonder if some professional misconduct charges are in order since the man is a sworn LEO and knew he was breaking the law. There's more to the story than what was in what TJ was able to find in that article.

I can see rehabbing the deer until it's healthy to survive on it's own, but to keep it for 2 years? If it was healthy enough to magically "escape" into the wild, why wasn't it set free earlier? There are rehab people in the state. I wonder how hard they tried to find one? A friends wife works for a vet, and was able to get a permit to keep a deer that was brought to them because it was injured.

They did get a warning. They were told keeping the deer was illeagal without FIRST having the proper rehab license. They applied for a permit to keep the deer as a pet after the fact and were denied. As a part of their warning they had to turn the deer over to the DNR. Fast forward 2 years. For some reason the DNR found out that they still had the deer. When the DNR came to pick uo the deer, it had "escaped". There is where the chargesd came in. They didn't comply with the deal, so got got charges.

My question is if the deer was healthy enough to "escape" why wasn't it set free earlier?

Here's an update:

From Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Phil Bloom, a spokesperson with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, issued this news release shortly after noon today:

"The Department of Natural Resources today will ask that the charges be dismissed against a Connersville couple for illegal taking of a deer.

"After reviewing the matter, Gov. Mike Pence asked the DNR to reevaluate the case. As a result of the governor’s request, the DNR has re-examined the case and is seeking dismissal of the charges.

"The case involves a Connersville couple – Jeff and Jennifer Counceller – who took in a fawn deer in 2010 they said was injured. The couple was told at that time by an Indiana Conservation Officer from the DNR that it is illegal to possess a wild animal without a permit and the best option was to return the fawn to a wooded location.

"They did not, and last summer they were found to still have the deer but no DNR permit authorizing them to possess it.

"The case was turned over to the Fayette County prosecutor."

From the Fayette County Prosecutor:
“This matter is still a pending prosecution, so we are limited on what we are able to discuss pursuant to the Rules of Professional Conduct. The allegations in this care are that Mr. and Mrs. Counceller kept a deer in captivity for 23 months, violating Indiana Code 14-22-38-4, which states that unlawful possession of deer is a class C misdemeanor. We hope that the Department of Natural Resources and the Indiana legislature will take this opportunity to review that statue and decide if matters like these allegations should be handled as crimes or infractions in the future.”

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I fell for the media account. I should know better. Deer should have been released a year and a half earlier.

K
K
Ditto, Scott.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Lunker
Lunker
There are at least two sides to every story.

Thank you esshup for providing the other side of the story.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Too bad this article wasn't written objectively...guess I'll believe 99% of the media spin from this point forward.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yep...that's why I was wondering what the fuss was all about. But then again, I already knew the other side of the story.

After 23 months it's no longer an injured animal....it's a pet. And that's a big no-no.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This became a 5 page thread on the Hunting Indiana forum very quickly once it hit the news. The media has a tremendous amount of power in this social media age, and it all is dependant on what side they focus on. I really believe that today's media is no longer an "objective" media, telling both sides of a story equally.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Well, that's why I posted this, as I figured some of you IN natives might know what is going on. I get these change.org emails and it's typically about someone somewhere being victimized. It's a pretty liberal organization, and leans heavily towards a subjective viewpoint.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I don't believe anything I read on the internet.

Unless Bill Cody wrote it.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Or Abraham Lincoln. :-)

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I really have a gripe against no tolerance laws that don't allow the people involved administering justice the ability to access the situation depending on the circumstances. Case in point: There is a no tolerance law regarding firearms on school campuses here in Indiana. At the local high school a couple of boys had gone deer hunting one morning before school and drove right to school not thinking much of it. Apparently someone spotted the shotguns in their vehicles and and they were suspended for a year and not allowed to graduate with their class. Otherwise good kids just weren't thinking.

To me something is wrong with a law that severely punishes noncriminals and has no effectiveness whatsoever when it comes to preventing the very thing it chooses to prevent. Do you think the idiot at Newtown could have cared less there is a no tolerance law regarding firearms on campus? Or the idiot in the Virginia Tech shootings and so on?

Now a kid irresponsibly bringing a gun to school would be a difference story but in the above case I think common sense should have been allowed.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/07/13 07:02 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
No law is "no tolerance". The state's attorney or in my state, the commonwealth's attorney has the power to drop any charge on a dime.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I know they've been running no tolerance campaign on not wearing seatbelts, but I wouldn't say the law is actually no tolerance..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
No law is "no tolerance". The state's attorney or in my state, the commonwealth's attorney has the power to drop any charge on a dime.

Obviously you don't live in Indiana. grin Moving here from Massachusetts years ago was an education. However there are a lot of good things about this state vs. Mass.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/07/13 08:41 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The real mistake made by the IN couple was to challenge the DNR's power. Buearocratic power is to be protected at all costs. How much did all this cost the State and how much more wasted dollars on a prosecution. Oh - also what is the cost of incarceration to the taxpayers. How many poachers are lurking out there , how many road hunters and carcass dumpers ? A little common sense early on would have avoided the entire mess.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
As Fred Thompson sez "Why do they call it common sense when it's so uncommon?".

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy