Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,536
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
3 members (For the Family, Fishingadventure, rusticsbysmith), 409 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
I think I understand sprkplug’s take on this…

In church, the concept of tything is a decision that is left up to one’s conscience without undo pressure from the congregation. They say that in a typical church, 10% do 90% of the work. But the beauty of a real church family is that everyone is as welcome as anyone, regardless of their contribution. No special labels, no stars, the doors are open to all.

I know the intent of these labels may not have been to differentiate, but nonetheless, this thread has got everyone thinking about what they got underneath their handles. It’s got me thinking, and I understand TJ’s take on this too. I’m not cool with the fact that I’ve been letting others carry the load. I subscribe and I bought a book (a really good one), but have never made a donation to this site. But this is the thing… I don’t know how much of a donation it takes to get the HOF label and it doesn’t matter, ‘cause with my donation I’ll be requesting no label be put under my name. Its not for recognition, but a matter of conscience.

I have a lot of fantasies and I don’t want to get into them right now, except for one of the boring ones - that despite my lack of expertise and all my mistakes, I might one day post something from my pond experience that will help somebody else out the way many of you have helped me. Not just a taker here, but a giver, too.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I have restrained response to this thread for various and personal reasons.
First of all, I believe that donations to a business forum is not the correct thing to do.
Yes, PondBoss is a business and it has to merit return on investment as any other business - on it’s own merits or it should not exist.
The way I see it, the business model for PondBoss forum and magazine is to promote and generate business for PondBoss and it’s advertisers..

BUT, on the other hand ….. to me the PondBoss forum is mainly a social media.
It has meant more to me than I can ever express.
I have genuine lifelong friends that I could never have met – stories untold –very private and serious. If I can help someone along the way, that’s a bonus.

Donations cheapen the real meaning of PondBoss for me – I don’t want to feel like I have had to buy my friends – or be shamed into donation - there should be a better way.

George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

I have to admit I'd never given a lot of thought to the whole label thing, and vamaz and sprkplug I fully understand and respect your opinions on this.

But, coming from a tech background and subscribing to multiple forums, labels are not unusual. Replies are judged and rated, number of pertinent posts are rated, and many are fee based only. So to have labels here is not uncommon on the Interweb.

I think what may make this forum different, is that we "know" each other. DaveDavidson1 is Dave, esshup is Scott, n8ly is Nate. We'll ask questions that we feel comfortable asking because we know we won't get flamed or berated for making a less than perfect decision. Hit a coding or database forum where there are many various ways to get the same results. It can get ugly.

I was posting this and happened to read George's post. He and I have privately discussed this very thing several times and I have to admit that I really hadn't given this as much thought as George had. But the fact that this thread has brought out so many different opinions, proves there is a public perception issue. As is usual, George was ahead of the curve. Pretty smart for a youngster.

All I know is that I'm a better pond steward for this forum being available. How we get there is far less important to me than the end result.

Now, back to fly tying. laugh

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'm beginning to realize that there's an essence on the forum that carries great meaning and importance to most...while myself, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, have failed to take it into consideration.

That would be the social, and sometimes very personal aspect of PondBoss. Ewest alluded to it last night, while George mentions it yet again in his post. As some know, I suffer issues in this regard, so I'm unsure just where I stand. I need to gather my thoughts.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
F
F
Getting back to the original question of the meaning of labels. It looks like to me the one area that states if you are a fingering, lunker, etc is the place to signify how much you contributed. I am gathering that info from here..

That makes it very similar to the Hall of Fame label. So why have both?

Other label definitions can be found in the FAQ. Thats at the top of the page. Also here.

....now I'm just thinking out loud here. Why do some have a fingerling/lunker label and not a HOF label. And vice versa. Why do some have a HOF label and no "fish" label hooked to them. It seems as if the label system is innacurate because of various reasons and that we should not take them to seriously. Except for the moderator ones... smile

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Well now I thought that fingerling and lunker referred to time spent on the forum?
You know, kind of like "newbie" and "curmudgeon?".......

F
F
The information seems to be contrary to itself. The thing that is stated in the FAQ leads you to believe that it might be time spent/post total. And then there is the contribution form that I listed above goes in another direction. But for an example, I have no label but Vamaz above does and the post count is different. Don't make a difference to me, just pointing out discrepencies.

Still no written area describing the other title/label area like correspondant, etc..... except for what was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Edit; maby I"m like JHAP and I really have a post count of -1.3 smile

Last edited by fish n chips; 02/02/13 09:25 AM.
sprkplug #320052 02/02/13 09:35 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I'm beginning to realize that there's an essence on the forum that carries great meaning and importance to most...while myself, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, have failed to take it into consideration.

That would be the social, and sometimes very personal aspect of PondBoss. Ewest alluded to it last night, while George mentions it yet again in his post. As some know, I suffer issues in this regard, so I'm unsure just where I stand. I need to gather my thoughts.

One of the things I've always liked about Pond Boss is that everyone is welcomed -- except for the multiple spammers who sign up from foreign countries overnight to hawk their counterfeit wares and moneymaking schemes.

Even though we've grown a lot in my years on here, I still see a welcoming of bona fide newcomers with an interest in ponds. When I first started posting I felt like I'd been here for a long time. We were still pretty new at the first Pond Boss conference, yet my wife I were greeted at the conference hall door with hugs from Sunil. Bill Cody welcomed us like an usher for VIPs when we walked into the conference hall. Bob Lusk welcomed multiple newcomers from the podium, even some guy wearing a dreaded Green Sunfish Association shirt.

Maybe I have a different perspective, but I think we are still significantly like that, and if we aren't, we need to be made aware of it.

I can think of many on here who regularly participate, but who have never met another participant face to face. I would sure hope they feel comfortable.

There are just a few rules set down by Bob Lusk, and they are fully supported by the moderators. Mostly advertising, and avoiding hot-button subjects that cause people to turn against each other.

As for titles, that just ain't my thing, but they are there. I'd be just as happy with "curmudgeon" if it were available.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
sprkplug #320053 02/02/13 09:39 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Well now I thought that fingerling and lunker referred to time spent on the forum?
You know, kind of like "newbie" and "curmudgeon?".......

I believe it actually has to do with the number of posts. Fortunately, for JHAP's sake, it does not relate to the number of meaningful posts, because at just 51.6 out of his thousands, he'd still be a fingerling. He ought to be happy there's not a "fry" label, or he may have it! grin

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I remember when ambassador and correspondent were added to the forum...I seem to recall that they were voluntary positions, and a participant needed to make his/her interest known to PondBoss.

I think, and I may well be incorrect, that ambassador is exactly what it sounds like....someone who actively spreads the word about PondBoss. I know when I signed up I received a stack of PB brochures to pass out. (which by the way, I am nearly out of).

Field correspondent, I think, meant a willingness to participate in more of a hands on fashion... taking part in actual events, and possibly recording data or information for use by others, or possibly in articles for the mag.

If I'm wrong, and probably are, sorry for the mistake!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Keep in mind that we have to work within the software which is not easy. There is no IT person at PB. Dwight , TJ and others have helped a lot out of their kindness. But we still have to work within the software we have. I am not sure it even measures time on the Forum. I doubt it. It does count posts so that is an easy one. Plus the software has changed over time and thus things change. Software options turned on and off can have unknown effects. Point is no one fully understands is capacity , how to use it and what is and is not possible. The idea is to keep it up and running ( a huge job) and all the rest is second and third.

George we have and continue to look for better ways. So far the alternatives are far worse than what we have. What we have is at each person's choice/option while the alternatives are not. If what we choose somehow in a remote way (labels) rubs someone the wrong way and is not fixable that is better than taking away everyone else's freedom to choose IMO.

Sprk you are doing fine - don't sweat the small stuff just join in and have fun.

The key point is everyone is welcome to join in the journey - no questions asked. We all start at the same point and grow from there. All the bells and whistles in the world do not change that key point.

Last edited by ewest; 02/02/13 10:17 AM.

ewest #320058 02/02/13 11:02 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: ewest
Point is no one fully understands is capacity , how to use it and what is and is not possible. The idea is to keep it up and running ( a huge job) and all the rest is second and third.

So....it's kind of like the government?? grin

I'm sorry, I'm sorry.....I couldn't help myself, it was just too easy!

Please...do not let this turn political due to a momentary weakness on my part.... blush And Ewest just said I was doing fine....

In all seriousness, thanks ewest. I'm working on it.

Last edited by sprkplug; 02/02/13 11:05 AM. Reason: added thank you

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Whoever made the point about not really knowing the value of the forum early on, and it taking months or years to really understand how much value there was, great point!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
This whole stars thing is really confusing. I confess to being a little disappointed.

I was told that if you had 5 stars, it was a sign of 5 victories over an opponent, and that after that, you were an "Ace*". The careful observer will note that I am an "Ace", where as JHAP is completely bereft when it comes to stars.

I've taken great pride in being an "Ace" all this time, and now you tell me that it doesn't mean anything?

*Active Cyanellus Exterminator

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Somebody asked about donation amounts. They generally range from about $10 to a few hundred.

Someone gave $1 once, and did get the HOF designation.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Hey, what's that green stuff in my pond!!!
Seriously, this is a social and educational network that Bob Lusk and Mike Otto will continue to make available (with whatever help we provide) until they don't chose to do so anymore. Contribute if you want to, don't contribute if you don't want to.
Does anyone really care about these labels etc - I'm going to add this post so I can see what I have under my name.
Every one needs to lighten up - life's too short!!!

Just do it...
Sunil #320077 02/02/13 12:25 PM
F
F
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Whoever made the point about not really knowing the value of the forum early on, and it taking months or years to really understand how much value there was, great point!

Oh goody!!!!! smile You made my day. Does that make my worthy post count go to at least "1" blush

F
F
This kind of has to go with Cat's post above, seeing that I am one of the few newer members posting in this topic, and it does go along with labels and how newbies might see it.

All along I have seen these labels next to names and connected it to the information that I saw in THIS link. I thought to myself, "my gosh so many (nearly all) these members have made substantial monetary contributions to this forum." So I thought that plenty of donations were being made. So in this case, labels do make a difference. There probably should be some clear definitions to them somewhere. If I have been thinking of it this wrong way, so has probably others without saying.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
fish, I've never even seen that page. Probably a disconnect.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Well and truthfully put, rmedgar.
As Jimminy Cricket said, "Always let your conscience be your guide".

Sunil #320092 02/02/13 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
fish, I've never even seen that page. Probably a disconnect.

Sunil, it's an active link under the Pond Boss store.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
No, I mean that I don't think anyone is looking after that. Like administratively updating anyone's 'label' on the forum (fingerling, lunker, etc) when they donate.

Meaning the internal process is 'disconnected.'

Gotcha

AL

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I wish the self laminating, oil resistant, wire "labels" would come down in price!

Sheesh! you could blow 6 bucks per page if the planets are out of sync! wink

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I wish the self laminating, oil resistant, WATER PROOF wire "labels" would come down in price!

There, fixed it for ya. This is a forum about PONDS, let's try to stay on topic here.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Blazzzy, jkrueger
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/17/24 09:57 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....