Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Here ya go Dave. grin

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Yeah, I'm a member of Rhinoclones, just waiting to see how this model pans out, it's an upgraded version of the ODES 800.

Rhinoclones has a nice ring to it!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #278256 01/20/12 12:52 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I would sure hate to take that thing anywhere in snow.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
Just needs some modifications like tracks and a power upgrade for the snow.

jludwig #278320 01/21/12 05:28 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah and 6 wheel drive plus racing stripes.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
K
K
All one needs now is a Foreverlazy.com and you'll be set.

- Dave
4.5 acre woodland pond constructed Feb 2011
- began fill Aug 25 - full pool Nov 18
- fish stocked Oct 25: 1200 Shellcracker; 3800 bluegill bream; 500 channel catfish
May 2012: 500 LMB May 2012; 50 "permitted" sterile grass carp.

Kiko #278338 01/21/12 12:08 PM
R
R
I've had no problems plowing with my Rhino. That being said, I have wrecked one set of push tubes on my plow when I hit a tree root plowing a logging road. And it is tough when the snow is icy and/or in high volumes and wet....and I thought I'd be able to do double duty and be able to push dirt with it....NOT.

rt014 #278358 01/21/12 04:54 PM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
rt do you have a straight plow or V plow? I'd like to get a V plow like this for the UTV, the Eagle plows are suppose to be excellent.

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
My eagle plow on my ranger is tough and it moves alot of snow. Its not a vplow though.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I was told by different people that Eagle plows are top notch, Boss has a nice hydraulic V plow set-up but the price is too steep for what I'll need.

blair what size blade are you using on your Ranger?

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
72" when it is set on the sharpest angle it is same width as the ranger.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

R
R
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
rt do you have a straight plow or V plow? I'd like to get a V plow like this for the UTV, the Eagle plows are suppose to be excellent.

Hi ADK Pond....not a V for me. I have a Moose straight plow. The blade seems plenty tough, but the tube assembly that attaches to the Rhino seems to be the 'weak link' in the system. But overall I think it's been ok....also considering it was my first year plowing when I bent the tubes :-)

esshup #278677 01/24/12 07:01 PM
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
I'll echo the positive feedback about the Trans Mule. Great utility vehicle, plus two bench seats will seat 6 adults. Look elsewhere if you are looking for speed though, I think my Mule tops out at around 25mph.........can be a positive for kids though.....
Which ever UTV you decide on, the most important decision is fuel injection, fuel injection, fuel injection! It really makes the experience of owning one of these types of vehicles much better.

Eddie

I WANT BOB'S JOB!

rt014 #278691 01/24/12 09:29 PM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: rt014
Hi ADK Pond....not a V for me. I have a Moose straight plow. The blade seems plenty tough, but the tube assembly that attaches to the Rhino seems to be the 'weak link' in the system. But overall I think it's been ok....also considering it was my first year plowing when I bent the tubes :-)

Yeah a straight plow would work fine for me but I figure the V plow would give me a little more capability if I needed it.

Originally Posted By: LUSKFAN
I'll echo the positive feedback about the Trans Mule. Great utility vehicle, plus two bench seats will seat 6 adults. Look elsewhere if you are looking for speed though, I think my Mule tops out at around 25mph.........can be a positive for kids though.....
Which ever UTV you decide on, the most important decision is fuel injection, fuel injection, fuel injection! It really makes the experience of owning one of these types of vehicles much better.

Eddie

The mule is a good buy but I need more ground clearance, I have decided to get only something with fuel injection.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Size and price doesn't always matter.

We've got a little Side x Side UTV that we love -- and it wasn't anywhere near as expensive as the well recognized names. We call her "Lizzie" since she looks like an early Model-T Ford Tin Lizzy pickup truck from pre-1920.

I've got about $5000 invested in her, based on discounts and coupons. That includes the machine you see with roof and windshield (standard), plus the front 2-inch receiver, winch, and 60-inch snow plow that installs/removes with the lift of a single handle and disconnecting the winch hook. Everything else was standard. Oh, and I've got about another $65 dollars invested in chains for the rear wheels.

I got the 2-wheel drive model with a locking rear differential. The shocks are adjustable. The dump bed has a 400 lb., carrying capacity and the rear hitch has an 1100 lb., towing capacity. There is an electric lift option for the dump bed that I think I'm going to invest in.

The thing runs on a near-stock Honda 390cc GX engine (the machine has a 5-gallon external gas tank that replaces the original tank). It has electric and recoil start accessible by tipping the dump bed. The engine moves the machine via a continuously variable transmission.

It is made in Louisianan by American SportWorks. I got mine through Tractor Supply, but I believe that some Home Depot stores and some Mennard stores carry them too.

We got it to help keep hours off the tractor and my pickup truck. So far we haven't had any big snows, but it sure has handled two 3-inch snows quite well, in our rather steep driveway. I don't think I'd have any problem pushing 8-10 inches of snow with it. Yesterday I took Bob L., all over our hilly property, through the woods in several inches of snow, without ever spinning the tires.

It isn't for everyone. But, I've got other equipment available when this thing isn't up to the task.

Here the are specs:

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Them V-plows suck to be blunt.. We had a big one where I use to work and its basically sitting and rotting.. There's a reason you don't see them getting used much by the highway dept. basically they make 2 trash piles at once so in 2 passes you only get 1.5xs the coverage of a straight blade hard to explain but if you make 2 passes with a straight blade you'd be a 1/2 blade ahead of the V (and you r working on one side instead of 2 with the V)

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 01/28/13 12:58 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
We recently bought a 4WD Mule 610 with a 400lb capacity manual dump bed. The dump bed is relatively easy to dump, tho, as it is well balanced unless you put all the weight in the front. It was much less costly than the higher powered vehicles and is handy around the farm and pond. I also consider this a "wheelchair" when I get old which, at 56, may already be now!

The Mule has a top speed of 25 MPH but supposedly the carburator can be tuned to get that to approach 30 MPH. Has any other Mule owners attempted this?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
DJ, the 610's greatness, and you'll love it. Haven't needed to make it faster because we only have 80 acres, but my 5 year old 610 has never even burped.

The only issue I had with it was the air/fuel screw being capped due to California emission regulations.

I've heard this can be fixed, but I can neither confirm or deny this. whistle

AL

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: djstauder
We recently bought a 4WD Mule 610 with a 400lb capacity manual dump bed. The dump bed is relatively easy to dump, tho, as it is well balanced unless you put all the weight in the front. It was much less costly than the higher powered vehicles and is handy around the farm and pond. I also consider this a "wheelchair" when I get old which, at 56, may already be now!
d
The Mule has a top speed of 25 MPH but supposedly the carburator can be tuned to get that to approach 30 MPH. Has any other Mule owners attempted this?

Our 4WD Mule 610 gets me from pond to pond and is handier than four pockets on a fishing shirt!
George

Last edited by george1; 01/29/13 12:17 PM. Reason: oops

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

M
M
We have had a TransMule for 2 years. It's fuel injection never lets us down. A very good and fairly new feature is the power steering. I believe it is an electric assist steering that really helps when the need arrives to doing lots of turning when the vehicle is stopped in heavy brush or trees. It helps a lot. We are ok with the 25mph speed limit as we do not drive it on open roads too much.

The Ohio Steel poly dump cart is on my shopping list for this spring, but Sears has one with the same bed on a different 1000# frame for $224 and free in store pickup. This appears to be the best buy I've seen.

http://www.sears.com/universal-12.5-cu-f...mp;blockType=G2

I'm surprised this thread has gone to 3 pages with no mention of a golf cart. I have not bought anything yet, but for basic transportation, light utility and sheer thrift, it seems like a viable option. Any thoughts?

Golf Carts are great also. If they have the high torque motor and controller, even better. The only issue for me is the batteries. They're expensive, and I wouldn't get a another used one unless it had a good Lester charger, and had the batteries load tested.

The gas carts have more power, but the quietness is gone. We use our electric Yamaha for stealthy vermin hunting, and duck watching.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Also, if you get in slippery conditions, 4wd is nice. I don't know of many electric golf carts that have it.

I do like the quietness of the electric motor.

Get the best of both worlds with a Bad Boy Buggy. I have no idea what they cost tho!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: 2Old2Soon
I'm surprised this thread has gone to 3 pages with no mention of a golf cart. I have not bought anything yet, but for basic transportation, light utility and sheer thrift, it seems like a viable option. Any thoughts?

Absolutely. Golf carts can make great 2WD UTVs. My TW-400 Trail Wagon by American Sportworks, mentioned above, is two steps up from a golf cart. Below mine is a TW-200 shown on the spec sheet I posted. It is basically a modified golf cart. They are quite affordable.

I have several friends with golf carts that they modified into UTVs by adding ATV-type tires, replacing the golf-club carrier with a utility bed, and adding a 2-inch hitch receiver. For general transportation, hauling 200-400 lbs. of stuff, or towing a moderate trailer, they work just fine. We've seen them sell for less than $100 at auction, usually only needing minor repairs. One friend recently got one for $100 at a yard sale that had already been modified, but had a blown head gasket. The repair manual and parts cost him $75. It took him about three hours to have a fully functioning UTV based on a golf cart.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Thanx to all for your responses here, even though it was not my original post the info was immensly helpful. I started out looking at a golf cart with a dump bed, then the smaller side-x-sides, then the chinese clones, then I couldn't decide what to do. I stumbled upon a 2011 Mule 4010 Trans with 46 hours on it for a GREAT price. It does have a V-twin engine, fuel injection, power steering and either a back seat or a long dump bed. When I brought it home she said "Oh great, another toy", but I can't get her out of of long enough to drive it myself! I did find it useful on day two when I used it to pull the ZTR out of the edge of the pond when the grass got wet, and of course it's great for hauling puppies!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images