Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
7 members (Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 772 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Pinetar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Wow, what a day... Put down 500 pounds of seed and 80000 square feet of erosion blanket. Have about 30000 square feet to finish tomorrow.

Had a question for the PBE's. Do I need to seed and apply erosion blanket to the water side of the dam? I have overlapped the top of the dam on the water side 2 lineal feet or so but am wondering if I should put the seed and erosion blanket all the way down to the current water level. The pond is not at full pool level yet. 44" to go until full pool.

Also here are some update pics of our work today and some pics of the new side of the pond as it is filling up.

7 Acre +/- pond. Stocked with CNBG, RESF, GS, TFS, FHM, in March - June of 2008, Stocked with 200 3" F1 Tiger Bass in March of 2010... Additional stockings of CNBG, Tilapia, FHM in May of 2011.April of 2012 and May of 2013.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Did you buy the blanket locally or was it from somewhere nationally? I have got to put something down around my pond this year. I've seeded around it twice now but it doesn't seem to take hold. I'm not sure if the seed is just washing into the pond or if the dirt just doesn't have enough nutrients in it since it is all clay that we dug up from the bottom of the pond when renovating it a few years ago. Did you apply any type of feetilizer?

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

P
Pinetar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Cisco, I found a company in Indiana that makes it, then called around for a distributor in my area (Northern Alabama). The blankets are 8' x 112' double sided straw matting. I put down rye seed and then will overseed with a clover / Bermuda blend in the spring. Yes I put down triple 13 fertilizer but only on the back side of the dam as I wasn't comfortable with putting it close to the water.

Last edited by Pinetar; 01/04/13 12:03 AM.

7 Acre +/- pond. Stocked with CNBG, RESF, GS, TFS, FHM, in March - June of 2008, Stocked with 200 3" F1 Tiger Bass in March of 2010... Additional stockings of CNBG, Tilapia, FHM in May of 2011.April of 2012 and May of 2013.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pinetar, who in Indiana? I need to price some.

In answer to your question about the pond side of the dam, I'd say yes. If you get a good rain, it might erode as the rain water goes to the pond. I'd run them to within a foot of the current water level, providing the pond will come up to cover that last foot of exposed soil.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
Pinetar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
esshup,

North American Green

I used the S150BN. Prices down here were $38 per roll, but was able to get them down to $30 per roll with a minimum of 100 roll purchase.

Hope that helps,

Thanks

Tony

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agree with Scott. Seed the front of the dam.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Pinetar, what would you seed with in Alabama? If you go with Rye to get things started, know that it will float quick during any heavy watering or rain. I try to seed higher because there will be a certain amount that floats down a bank.

AL

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Pinetar,
I have had serious problems getting bermuda to germinate and grow without covering with a small layer of dirt or some other mulch. I have seeded my dam 3-4 times with very little luck.

The bermuda may germinate better if you seed the bermuda before you put the blankets down even though the bermuda won't germinate until spring.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
S
S
I assume that PineTar bought the S-150 North American Green erosion (NAG)control blanket from my company since they are located in Alabama and we are the exclusive distributor for NAG products in Alabama. I would like to offer my assistance to anyone who has questions related to erosion control or sediment control applications. You don't have to be in Alabama to contact me, but if you are somewhere else, I will be glad to refer you to a knowledgable person in your area.
Skip Ragsdale
Sunshine Supplies, Inc.
205-674-5656
www.erosionproducts.com

P
Pinetar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Skip, not even a "thanks for spending nearly $3 g's with us" , nor a response to my question about erosion, just a plug to try and get additional business and a "we are the exclusive dealer...blah blah blah..."

Your welcome for my business.

Last edited by Pinetar; 01/04/13 10:58 PM.

P
Pinetar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
I seeded with rye at about 5 times the reccomended application rate.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: SkipR
I assume that PineTar bought the S-150 North American Green erosion (NAG)control blanket from my company since they are located in Alabama and we are the exclusive distributor for NAG products in Alabama. I would like to offer my assistance to anyone who has questions related to erosion control or sediment control applications. You don't have to be in Alabama to contact me, but if you are somewhere else, I will be glad to refer you to a knowledgable person in your area.
Skip Ragsdale
Sunshine Supplies, Inc.
205-674-5656
www.erosionproducts.com

An intro would be nice, and not a biz plug but an actual intro. Sounds like you might have some good info to contribute, so make yourself acquainted to us all. And welcome to posting on Pond Boss!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
P
Pinetar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
I think the double sided netting will act as a mulch. Anyway, just trying to get the Rye to come up for now, to protect all this expensive dirt!!

Originally Posted By: djstauder
Pinetar,
I have had serious problems getting bermuda to germinate and grow without covering with a small layer of dirt or some other mulch. I have seeded my dam 3-4 times with very little luck.

The bermuda may germinate better if you seed the bermuda before you put the blankets down even though the bermuda won't germinate until spring.

P
Pinetar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Skip, my earlier post may have sounded a little harsh and for that I apologize, but you basically just brushed over my post, used my post to promote your business without even giving me #1, the courtesy of an answer to my question when in your post you say your available to offer assistance, and #2, you rightly assumed I purchased product from you, but didn't even bother to thank me for the business.

It just rubbed me the wrong way.

By the way...I did like the product that I purchased from you and was very happy with the service from the salesmen that helped me. I have additional product I need to buy.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: SkipR
Skip Ragsdale
Sunshine Supplies, Inc.
205-674-5656
www.erosionproducts.com

Pinetar, don't apologize. The referred to post was poorly timed, and obviously you've spent a lot of time and money trying to get a handle on the erosion issue.

The thing to remember is that there will be erosion, but you've made a great attempt at controlling it.

I had an erosion problem on the back of my dam last year, and did this.

I knew I couldn't get Bermuda started quick enough to stop the erosion, so I bought 3 pallets of Bermuda after I identified the problem areas, refilled and repacked the eroded areas, and then watered daily.

The Bermuda sod disrupted the water flow and stopped the erosion quickly. Maybe something like this would be advisable if you have a few isolated problem areas. Far cheaper than a full sodding, only put out where needed, and immediate results.

AL

S
S

PineTar
You couldn't be more correct about a couple of points. First, my way too brief message did not convey the fact that your business is appreciated. Please- - please, let me to apologize for failing to let you know how much we appreciate you purchasing erosion control products from us. Everyone at Sunshine (including myself) know that for the last twenty-five years, it has been our loyal customers that kept us in business. The four key personnel at Sunshine all own a percentage of the company. I insisted on this so all would deal with our customers as an owner should.
Secondly, i will answer your question, "Do I need to seed and apply erosion blanket to the water side of the dam? I have overlapped the top of the dam on the water side 2 lineal feet or so but am wondering if I should put the seed and erosion blanket all the way to the current water level". You MIGHT need to protect the water side of the dam. However, not knowing if you get wave action or other have possible causes of accelerated erosion, I can't say if you may need a higher capability product at the waterline. If you will call me, I can get some particulars from you and work with you to make sure erosion does not cause a problem in the future.
Since 1988, we have worked to inform all who will listen that Alabama must begin protecting our state's unique natural resources. Alabama's natural resources are not matched anywhere in the US. In order to assure our descendants also will have access to clean water, air, and soil, we search out and share the latest proven environmental protection technologies.
Today this technology gives us abilities undreamed of in the past. Currently, we can remove suspended soil particles (mainly clay particles) from Stormwater while the water continues to freely flow. Water can also flow over Alabama red clay and still remain Crystal clear. One new product named PondSeal allows sealing of leaky ponds without removing any water. We try to spread knowledge of these inexpensive solutions to common problems by freely sharing this information with everyone. Regardless whether someone buys product from us, I offer anyone with similar problems to contact me. We would be thrilled to provide our knowledge in the area of soil erosion and sediment control. If anyone needs resources regarding erosion and sediment control please contact me. No one knows everything, but many years of learning the hard way, led me to know experts in many related specialties. Thank you again.
SkipR
M- 205-790-4334
O- 205-674-5656
Sragsdale@sunshinesupplies.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cisco
Did you buy the blanket locally or was it from somewhere nationally? I have got to put something down around my pond this year. I've seeded around it twice now but it doesn't seem to take hold. I'm not sure if the seed is just washing into the pond or if the dirt just doesn't have enough nutrients in it since it is all clay that we dug up from the bottom of the pond when renovating it a few years ago. Did you apply any type of feetilizer?

Cisco,

I found this company here in dallas, and have talked several times. they are very informative, and helpful here in texas. shipping to Childress was not going to be too bad, so i assume to cisco/abilene, you should be ok. I was talking with a lady named Jennifer. I plan to do this very same thing here very soon

drp

<jryan@geotexsupply.com>

O: 972-241-6003
F: 972-241-6622
www.geotexsupply.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images