Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,946
Posts557,795
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Folchetti, Knobber, catscratch, Boondoggle, esshup, shores41, LeighAnn, canyoncreek, Drago), 1,005 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I love my TH feeder.
I love my AquaPro 75ADF feeders.
My TH feeder has performed flawless since they corrected their spin plate problem.
My AquaPros have performed flawless for 5 months 24/7 since they replaced their timers.

Question remains as to whether TH is worth the additional cost.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have no dog in this fight. ;\) But I can relate my experiences. My ADF75 has worked very well in the few years that I've had it. I visited a freind in Texas that had a Texas Hunter feeder submerged in flood waters, motor, timer, etc. while it was full of food. His hired hand dumped the food out and brought it to the pole barn where it sat for a day before we tried to get it to work. After taking it apart to see why it wouldn't turn on, I noticed that all the food that was down by the impeller was still there, soggy and packed tight. The feeder was very easy to take apart and clean, mainly due to the clear plastic parts that allowed easy sight of the jam. Once the soggy food was cleared out, we hooked it up to a good battery and it worked just fine, even with the timers that were submerged. He let it dry out for a day, and it's still working 4 months later, same timer and all.

I've never had to take apart an ADF75, but the Texas Hunter was a breeze to clean and fix. I even repaired the lid that he flattened by parking his Suburban on it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I've owned both, adf75 from may12 to august12 and sent it back to where I bought it. The same day august12 ordered the Texas Hunter fish feeder. On august 17 I set up the TH and so far it has worked exceptionally well. Not one pellet of food has fallen on the bank. Can you say that about the adf75, I couldn't.

If you take both feeders and stand them beside each other there is no comparison in quality. TH is superior hands down. No comparison what so ever. I would pay the extra 230.00 just for the superior quality. Shipping was a little more because SanAntonio is farther from me than Grand Prairie. That dollar amount is including the shipping as well.

The extra money is worth the peace of mind that it's going to work for me.

My experience would tell someone in the market for a good feeder to go with the TH.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: mikel
My experience would tell someone in the market for a good feeder to go with the TH.

Total agreement IF running one feeder.
In my case running multiple feeders for more than five years experience - not so sure.

I do like the feed pattern on the TH but better concentration on AQP if that is an issue.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Our Aquapro has had no problems to this point. So far, so good.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes

Bobad you wrote "but if the service is good I guess I'll be happy." I think the best customer service is no need for it, get my point.

Greg, I agree 100%, but I already bought one. Nothing I can do now but try to get it working. I'll fix it one time. If it fails again in an unreasonable time I'll change brands.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bobad agree 100% and I also agree 100% that Aquapro guys try as hard as possible to make things right. Bruce remember the free parts I got you at the PB conference, they are great folks. Bruce glad to see now you got aquapro issues at bay, awesome. It is just something I wanted to state in case folks did not realize.

To be 100% fair I have had much more issues getting a Sweeney fixed than any aquapro in the past. However only one issue with Texas Hunter and it was fixed pronto. The fact I do not have to report problems at all though is so nice. Folks we have also had great results from Moultrie they are paid advertiser in PB as well and they seem to get no love, \:\)

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I use their products for deer feeding and game cameras. I LOVE their game cameras!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Cj, Moultrie I40 is my best selling deer camera. 4 months of battery usage on one set.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, I use the one Moultrie makes for Cabela's. It is basically the I40 but instead of being 4.0 megapixel it is 5.0. The battery life is one of the big reasons I like it so much. I set one up last year in late August. I finally replaced the batteries in January after 8,000 plus pictures had been taken! I just bought two more of them. So I now have 3 and a few other cheaper not IR models that are older. I have a couple Stealthcams as well, but I do like my Moultries. So you deal in them Greg?

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I had one small hiccup with a TH feeder. One of the timer buttons was stuck and wouldn't let us adjust anything. Now HERE is good customer service, I made the call to TH. There was no "send us the timer to assess it and then we'll get around to sending you a new one". They shipped me a new timer that day and asked me to please put the defective timer in the box containing the new timer once it arrived. Oh yeah, they included a pre-paid shipping label to slap on the box.

Sure, TH's are more expensive but I believe if you buy one, then you only cry once. Buy a cheapy, then you'll cry multiple times. TH has an excellent product and excellent customer service. After reading this thread, I was very happy to learn that their fish feeder timers are made in the U.S. To me, that's just icing on an already delicious cake!

Last edited by Shawn Banks; 09/01/09 10:19 PM.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Cj it will make you cry when you find out what I would sell it to you for. Anything wildlife for the most part I can get but even better deals when going st through manufacture as with Moultrie.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I own a TH and AP - both from Banks. I've been using the AP seen in the initial pix since June [using Aqua Max 500]and have had no issues apart from a qty of pellets falling short of the pond which is about a 3 foot shot. The pellets sit, rot, stink and attract tons of flies...but you're all probably used to that - not sure if this is just an issue inherent to all feeders. Obviously this would be less of an issue once it's sitting on a dock, which will hopefully be installed next year. I will be setting up the TH next Spring and will compare performance. I do know the pricing on the AP was only 25% the cost of my TH.

No timer issues yet - seems they've addressed that issue successfully.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
TJ, my son Jeff has two Great Pyranese livestock guard dogs that clean up the left over pellets.
They even get in the water to eat the wind blown pellets.
Beautiful dogs - huge..
Uno and Belle will run up to me and roll over so I can rub their belly.
When they were puppies they would almost knock you down

Lunker
Lunker
Great Pyranese? I'm checking them out now...WOW - those are brutes! I love the part about dominating a passive owner...this is from a website I found:

The Great Pyrenees is a capable and imposing guardian, devoted to its family, and somewhat wary of strangers - human or canine. They are often used to guard livestock. When not provoked, it is calm, well- mannered, and somewhat serious. Courageous, very loyal and obedient. Gentle and affectionate with those he loves. Devoted to family even if self-sacrifice is required. It is very gentle with its family and children. It does best with children when it is raised with them from puppyhood. It has an independent nature, and may try to dominate a less secure or meek owner, and/or an owner who treats the dog as if he is human, becoming stubborn or territorial. Owners need to be firm, but calm, confident and consistent with the dog. Setting rules the dog must follow and sticking to them. A serious worker, but very independent. Be patient when training the Great Pyrenees, as it may be slightly difficult. It is important to socialize and train this breed properly to insure good citizenship. The Great Pyrenees is good with non-canine animals, and usually loves cats. These dogs do not reach maturity until they are about 2 years old. Some are not good off the leash and may wander away. The Great Pyrenees tend to bark a lot and some tend to drool and slobber.

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 09/03/09 02:16 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
TJ, they don't like otters - I was finding half eaten fish on the bank and Jeff had seen what he thought was a otter.
At that time he had two of his other guard dogs in the pasture, one named Brutus came in one night all bloodied up - never had otter problem again.

They are the most gentle dogs I have ever been around - they are born with the goats, and lead them to and from the pasture.

Guess we better get back on feeders - huh?
They love fish food ...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Yes George between three dogs they can't wait for feeder to go off and compete. Fish come and feed between their legs. Brody the golden lets the feed hit him in the face and all. THey will walk by dog food to get to fish food that is for sure.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I'm going to be in the market for a feeder if the economy doesn't get too much worse. I've fixed things all my life for a living so I tend to spend the xtra bucks to get something less likely to cause problems. Sounds like the TH is what I'm looking for in a feeder. Can you mix different size pellets? How about LM pellets?
Greg, do you sell TH?

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ric:

I may be wrong, but I think Sweeney is the only one making a feeder specifically for the LMB AquaMax pellets. George1 mixes Aquamax 500 and 600. I've done it as well with the ADF75. I think if you had a feeder big enough for the LMB AquaMax it would throw a LOT of the smaller sized feed. I have a smaller sized reducer plate that I put in the ADF75 if I run straight AquaMax 500 to keep it from throwing too much food out on it's lowest setting. I just let the 500 run out when switching to 600 and then remove the plate. I used a Uni-Bit to enlarge the hole until it threw the amount of 500 that I wanted.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Ric sell more TH than any other at this point. yes throws diff sizes and esshup is right not the largemouth nuggets. All PB Cclients get discounts

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Ric: I'd take a good look at Sweeney before I made a decision to buy anything else. I bought two of them three or four years ago, use then from spring until fall each year with multiple feedings each day and have yet to have any problems of any kind. My feeders stay outside all winter and all I do is take the battery out and store it inside. I generally feed a mix of AquaMax 500 and 600, but sometimes 400 and 600. I don't know the current difference in price, but if Sweeney is competitive I'd certainly give it a go. For one thing, I think they are the real originators and innovators of feeders and timers and probably have the most experience. I feel confident in going with the folks who made the investment in doing early development, rather than those who might just buy a competing unit and attempting to copy it.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ric, you sound like me. I'm tired of tinkering with "stuff" but still have to. I have now decided that I want things to work with, not work on.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Thought I'd bump this thread.

Due to the coldest October [thus far] in NE meteorological history I think feeding times have come to a close. I'll be storing the Aqua Pro for the season this weekend.

I fed with the AP from June - October and only had one negative issue arise when it jammed the first time I increased pellet size and used AP 600 which was easily addressed. Timer had no issues, pellets were throw consistently, and I'm satisfied overall.

I will be employing another AP and my TH next year but am in the market for three more feeders. I need two belt feeders [or something that can broadcast fry powder] and one more AP or TH or might try another brand.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
FWIW, I currently have three different Aquapro ADF-75s running on two ponds and one large lake, and every one of them drops several pellets each cycle right at the base of the feeder. And, the one time I tried feeding a mixture of Aquamax 500 and 600 from one of them, it jammed so badly that it took several adjustments by someone more mechanically-inclined than I to get it finally working right again - and that was just a mixture, not straight 600. I have one of Moultrie's 6-gallon bucket feeders running on another pond, and two 30-gallon barrel models running on the large lake, and they all drop a bunch of pellets right at the base of the feeder every cycle. I just bought one of Moultrie's commercial-grade models and haven't tested it yet (don't have fish in that pond yet), so the jury is out on that model.

All of the above were purchased due to their economical price. If I had it to do again, I'd sell blood or somehow find a way to get a TH or Sweeney. I've fished more than one body of water that had Sweeney feeders installed several feet up the bank from the water's edge, and have never seen a single pellet land on the bank. I don't have any personal experience with TH but have read nothing but glowing reviews on here of them.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Feeder Update. If you are in the market for a fish feeder, Texas Hunter is having a Winter sale on feeders up until Mar 29th 2013. For those DIY people they have a game feeder kit for $99.00 (reg $149, 5 yr warranty) that you can mount on the bottom of a bucket, barrel, big plastic taper bottom flower pot, or other container. Other models are also on sale. TX Hunter advertises in PBoss and is a sponsor at the Conferences. I don't own an auto feeder but if I needed one and for $99 I would try the kit and mount in on something and set it on my dock similar to what djstauder did to feed fish in a fish cage.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=25107&Number=317955#Post317955

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/19/13 09:19 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
Major Fail
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:44 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves