Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,098
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (H20fwler, nvcdl, esshup, Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE), 679 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jmed999 Offline OP
OP Offline
The pond I live on is 8 acres and we recently had it surveyed. The guy said the bottom was mushy in more areas than it should be and it would be a good idea to make a bream spawning table. I'm thinking about making it 20 ft wide and 10ft from the bank.

I think some people use plastic on the muck with concrete blocks laying on the outer edges then put small 1/4" pebbles on top about 3" thick. The plastic is what concerns me.

The pond has 18 very nice homes around it and they wont like floating plastic pieces if it ever started to break away or rot. Our Home Owners Assoc rules are pretty strict as far as what to put in the pond but I think I could get their approval. Their main concern will be the plastic.

How do I calm their concerns? What type plastic should I use? Will it ever rot or float away? Does the table need to be in a shade? Am I going about it the right way?

Thanks!

I want to grow 10 lb'ers!!!
D
D
a pond liner might be a good bet.
I guess it depends on what your budget is too?

http://www.pondliner.com/category/firestone_epdm_pond_liner?_vsrefdom=googleppc

Last edited by DiamondDave; 01/14/13 02:33 PM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Do you see some existing beds/colonies ?

I would try to renovate a few areas first. Use a rake to get rid of the muck in select areas 30 X 30 feet +- in 3 ft of water - then add sand and or gravel.

You can do a search for BG beds and there are lots of threads. Like

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199269&page=1

See pics below.

Last edited by ewest; 01/15/13 10:44 AM.

F
F
How about that geotextile fabric -or whatever you call it- that is suppose to keep soil from coming thru. Does that stuff float by itself?

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I use plastic kiddie wading pools filled with road gravel for my RES/BG spawning beds with success. Kiddie pools in the fall go very cheap and I can't imagine they'd degrade very quickly to pose a problem.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

teeh, did you put these in an active spawning area, or did the BG find them? I haven't had good luck with mine, so I thinking about moving them to a spawning area they're already using.

AL

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
jmed - two additional items. Look for active BG spawning areas historically or fresh ones this spring. Those are the areas of where to focus your initial efforts. Secondly look for the areas that did not have a very much bottom muck as noted by the survey. Those areas could be where the BG are possibly already spawning. Then expand or enhance those areas with the minimal muck.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Thanks, I have several areas that CNBG historically use, and I was going to move the gravel pools to the edges of those areas, and see if I get better results from them.

Thanks again.

AL

Lunker
Lunker
Fire...we're talking a .25 acre pond, so the BG/RES found them as they couldn't miss them! I'm sure they're also spawning in the clay/silt, but they definitely used the pool beds, too. I can get up to two beds/pool, and also used the rubber feed tubs filled with coarse gravel with success. The are just about the perfect size for BG beds and are readily available at any farm supply store. I have never needed to worry about BG spawning up here though, I couldn't prevent them if I tried, so maybe your challenges are unique to a more Southern setting. Are you having problems witnessing BG recruitment?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

teeh, it's weird. I'm seeing multiple beds with Tilapia, and multiple CNBG beds after the water drops in the fall. Both seem to nest in the clearer water that's Naiad heavy, and just wallow out a spot in the weeds. Neither are in the area I put the tubs out.

After you said this again, I'm inclined to think that I'm picking an area that's just not a natural roaming area of either.

I'll move them closer to the natural spawning areas, and see if they're used this year. If so, then I'll increase their numbers next year.

And you're right about the tubs, mine have been out for 6 years, and you can still see the mermaids. grin

Thanks, appreciate it.

AL

R
R
jmed I'd be really cautions about what materials you propose to use due to the HOA.They all vary but sometimes the path of the least resistance is best taken here.I'd think things over really well before making a proposal.

Is this going to be just on your shoreline or throughout the pond?

Do they have any concerns about how it will look?I'm thinking round natural shapes might go over a little better.

In my opinion I'd go with bill's suggestion and maybe a little corrective stocking first due to the HOA involvement.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Fire...we're talking a .25 acre pond, so the BG/RES found them as they couldn't miss them! I'm sure they're also spawning in the clay/silt, but they definitely used the pool beds, too. I can get up to two beds/pool, and also used the rubber feed tubs filled with coarse gravel with success. The are just about the perfect size for BG beds and are readily available at any farm supply store. I have never needed to worry about BG spawning up here though, I couldn't prevent them if I tried, so maybe your challenges are unique to a more Southern setting. Are you having problems witnessing BG recruitment?

I believe that this is a discussion about small .25 ponds vs. a 11 acre lake and nothing to do about “unique to a more Southern setting”.
My small pond problems are overpopulation of CNBG - those things will spawn anywhere - and our ponds are only ~ 40 miles away from Al’s place.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

jmed999 Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow...thanks for all the responses! I'll try to answer the questions posed in the responses...

-A pond liner would be too expensive

-The kiddie pool would not fly with the HOA.

-I would do this at my shoreline only. I did notice some beds very close to the area I'm thinking about doing this to.

I'll look this spring to see if they are indeed spawning in the area I'm thinking about enhancing. I have a 2ft high wall at my shoreline so the blocks wouldn't show. If you go walking out my back door you walk through grass to a sea/pond wall then about 1 ft of water on the other side of the wall. And of course it gets deeper as you go out in the water. I think I could make it look very clean looking. If I use a plastic with nice looking pebble on top it would look fine (I hope).

The area I'm thinking about doing this too only gets minimal shade so that concerns me a little. I would make the spawning table about 20 ft wide by 6 feet out from the wall. The water depth would vary from 1 ft to 4 ft of water.

Thoughts?

I want to grow 10 lb'ers!!!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Consider doing homework on microbial / bacterial additions in your case pelleted types on your mucky shoreline areas before you invest in liner and sand/gravel reconstruction. Be aware not all pelleted bacteria are the same - some good, some not so good. Kevin Ripp the Bug Man at Aquafix Inc advertises here and speaks at the Pond Boss Conferences. His pelleted bacteria formulations are proven muck eaters.

I have found that manual raking of beach areas with and without bacteria additions work wonders to reduce muck in shallow beach areas. Check into a Lake Rake and add a 3ft piece of 1/2" rebar rod for additional weight and raking - tilling benefits. Weekly or twice weekly raking does wonders for reducing muck in beach areas with sand or gravel substrates.

Here is a link that I found for Kevin Ripp's group Aquafix who is an advertiser here on PBoss.
http://www.teamaquafix.com/

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/16/13 02:57 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Can you use water flow to wash the muck out of the area and into deeper water, exposing the orig. bottom of the pond in that area?

Semi-trash pump with you using the outflow as a sweeper hose, but underwater?

Motor on a boat?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images