Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#316757 01/07/13 06:37 PM
M
OP Offline
M
The babies(in the frying pan) are going to get bigger this year! I am getting the small Texas Hunter feeder. Any advice on placement or any thing else...?

My momma never accused me of being to smart....
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Place the unit VERY near the pond, and I'd recommend situating it so the pellets land in the water. wink

Sorry Mike, couldn't resist. Congrats on your purchase, IMO you can't do any better than TH. Prepare yourself for countless hours of enjoyment watching the feeding habits of your fish, learning a ton of new information about their feeding tendencies, and feeling downright giddy as a kid on Christmas every time the feeder goes off!

As far as placement goes, really depends on the species of fish, size of bow, etc. I am feeding AM 500/600 to five species from panfish to predators [BG, YP, GSH, SMB, HSB], so I placed mine in an area where both shallow and deep water receive pellets. If the shallow pellets aren't consumed they drift to deeper water where they are hammered by my predator fish. Mine is aimed to the NNW to take advantage of the most prevalent winds and prevent as much wasted feed possible which can happen when firing into a strong headwind. You could experiment with handfeeding for a while and allow the fish to show you the best setup. But really, it's not all that complicated.

Remember you only want to feed what can be consumed in a 10 minute window. Feeding times again are dependent on your goals. Many guys don't feed into the evening as their BG are more vulnerable to LMB predation. In my case, I need aggressive BG management, so I strictly feed in low light periods.

Keep us in the loop with your installation, success, and any issues or questions that arise. Can't wait to see your first video of the feeding frenzy.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Do not underestimate your pond's ability to create a tsunami during a storm and soak your feeder.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I would reccomend putting some string or wire in the locking mech. on the lid. a storm blew my lid off and bent it beyond use. BTW anyone know if they sell replacement lids??

Get out and fish.
Lunker
Lunker
Yes they sell lids. They are about twenty bucks. Don't ask how I know this.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
jakeb, you should be able to pound it flat. A friend ran over his large TH feeder lid with his Suburban and was ready to toss it out. He had a antique blacksmith anvil and antique hammers on the wall (he collected antique tools). I put them to use and got the lid back to shape.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Arent the lids attached to the feeder with a hinge

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Lunker
Lunker
Little medium gauge wire in the locks is a great tip. Prevents wind from blowing it off, and also coon access. A utility flag is a perfect size wire - strong but pliable - and easy to snip into 4" lengths.

Do not simply walk away after filling the feeder with $100 of new Aqua Max and neglect to replace the lid and drive home through a nice 2" rain. At this point you've got entirely new issues. Like Richard, learned this the hard way.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bing
Arent the lids attached to the feeder with a hinge

Nope. Clips on 2 sides and the whole lid lifts off.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the advice, I have some stainless wire I have been saving for such an occassion. I had some of the LMB eating nightcrawlers out of my hand last year, the kids thought that was the neatest thing ever. (Well actually I told them I could talk to the fish....even 5 year olds don't believe everything.)

My momma never accused me of being to smart....
teeh is right on point about the prevailing wind. Placement is the only consideration with the TX Hunter. Very solid unit.

Did you get the solar charger? My battery stays at 100% charge with it, and it's a 2 minute install.

AL

aeb Offline
Don't get real aggressive about staking the legs down. Water levels dropped considerably during the hot, dry summer and I had to move a feeder closer to the water. Freeing the stakes that I had driven to the hilt was not easy.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Sweeney feeder used to come with a small carabiner clip to secure the lid. The small size works great and many places (Wal Mart, BPS sell them.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bing, I like that idea.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
If the snaps on the lids are working properly and with there being locks on both sides of the lids they wil be fine in any wind. However I have had the snap locks get to where they don't "snap" down. SO this is when we use the TJ method. The marking flags do work just fine.

Mike love to sell you one if you havent purchased from another fine Pond Boss supporter. I know our prices are much better than direct. We again this year were the largest distirubutor of Texas Hunter fish feeders and proud to represent such a fine company.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
Lunker
I built a 3' high platform for my feeder to assist throwing when water levels are down per Shawn Banks direction, and it also serves as a nice perch for me to view feeding fish with somewhat of a bird's eye view. If I know high winds [25mph+] will be blowing for a couple days directly into the feeder I will shut it down to prevent pellets being wasted blown to shore during my 4-6 daily feedings. I don't think this is necessary, as I'm sure the crays and coons clean them up, but something you could keep in mind.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: aeb
Don't get real aggressive about staking the legs down. Water levels dropped considerably during the hot, dry summer and I had to move a feeder closer to the water. Freeing the stakes that I had driven to the hilt was not east.

Good point Aeb and welcome to the forum! Tell us more about your ponds and goals, please. Also, we're crazy about photos...

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Greg, I am going to need two additional feeders. Whats your best price on two delivered to me. The three I have now are the kind with the solar panel.

Also need to get a quote from you on aeration.

Thanks

Tony

Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
If the snaps on the lids are working properly and with there being locks on both sides of the lids they wil be fine in any wind. However I have had the snap locks get to where they don't "snap" down. SO this is when we use the TJ method. The marking flags do work just fine.

Mike love to sell you one if you havent purchased from another fine Pond Boss supporter. I know our prices are much better than direct. We again this year were the largest distirubutor of Texas Hunter fish feeders and proud to represent such a fine company.

Last edited by Pinetar; 01/08/13 10:37 PM.

7 Acre +/- pond. Stocked with CNBG, RESF, GS, TFS, FHM, in March - June of 2008, Stocked with 200 3" F1 Tiger Bass in March of 2010... Additional stockings of CNBG, Tilapia, FHM in May of 2011.April of 2012 and May of 2013.
Lunker
Lunker
Hey Pinetar, good to see you! Hows the fishery coming along? Any updates?

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Hey Pinetar, good to see you! Hows the fishery coming along? Any updates?

Will try to get some new pics and update tomorrow. Working on it every day!!

Come on spring!!

7 Acre +/- pond. Stocked with CNBG, RESF, GS, TFS, FHM, in March - June of 2008, Stocked with 200 3" F1 Tiger Bass in March of 2010... Additional stockings of CNBG, Tilapia, FHM in May of 2011.April of 2012 and May of 2013.
Lunker
Lunker
Spring?!? I have 9" of first ice to fish for a few more weeks! You'll get your Spring soon enough.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Spring?!? I have 9" of first ice to fish for a few more weeks! You'll get your Spring soon enough.

LOL, I grew up in North Dakota... I dont miss the winters!!!

Here is a try at a panoramic pic I took today, don't think it worked to well... Gonna try again tomorrow!! Sorry the picture is sidewise, I cant get it to turn. 44" of water to go!!

Lunker
Lunker
Lookin good Pine! Here's to several gentle rain events headed your way.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Pinetar you receive the emal? Get me those depths so I can spec the aeration.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM