Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B

I have a insulated 40'x50'x14' building and been thinking about building a one bedroom apartment in it (for me). When I had the building built I was thinking ahead and added a full bath, office and an area for a kitchen. The building has 200amp service, HVAC and plumbing, the only thing it's miss is a bedroom.

My question is…..has anyone ever lived in one? What are the pros and cons?

Don't Analyze Your Pleasures!!!
Yep, that's what we did at the farm.

To many pluses to list them all, but here's a few. It's super insulated, decked above apt for less storage loss, no increase in taxes since new structure wasn't added, and exterior pretty much maintenance free.

Only real issue was plumbing. Since we already had the bathroom, we had to pretty much had to set the kitchen close to the existing water lines, because we didn't want to dig up the slab.

40X50 is the exact same size as the building we put it in, and we had room for 2 bedrooms, and still had enough room to pull a car in the back, and a shop.

If I remember, I'll take pics tomorrow when I go down.

AL

J
J
Yeah it is just a little different might take a bit of an adjustment if you are used to living in a house.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My wife and I are in the planning stage of a similar project except with a little bigger shed (60x70) and a 3 bedrooom living area. We got the idea from a friend who built a shed a 2 bedroom living area as FireIsHot.

The main appeal to me was having all of the equipment (tractors, implements, boat, etc.) under the same roof so accessible without going out of doors.

FireIsHot,
Are you saying you built the shed portion first so your tax burden is based on that then added the living space later?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Yeah it is just a little different might take a bit of an adjustment if you are used to living in a house.

Just curious, how so?

DJS, that was our experience. The taxes stayed the same, but it may be different other places. Not sure if it was a don't ask to tell thing, but obviously we had all the permits for the remodel.

AL

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You guys should see this thread. Outstanding and on point.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=272081&page=1

Eric, that is very nice. The safe/gun room has me thinking now.

AL

T
T
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Are you saying you built the shed portion first so your tax burden is based on that then added the living space later?

It works that way here also. The tax assessor comes out and looks at the initial exiating structure. The tax assessor here does not come back for remodels unless work is done outside the initial walls (without being requested to by the property owner). Check about permitting requirements in you area as you may not even hardly need any. In my area (outside city limits) no permits are required for the structure as long as the property is for private personal use (not for resale within 3 years, business, or renting) and the property owner is supervising the work. These same laws allowed me to be my own contractor building my house and it saved alot of money. I came in at atleast 61K under what my cheapest quote on my house plans was for. I had added tens of thousands in extras in interior changes that was not in the quotes either. I also used that actual cost to get my property taxes lowered. I simply requested a meeting with the Tax assessor and his supervisor about their valued amount after being assessed. I showed them the exact amount it took to build and they lowered my property taxes by 100K of the 120K they where showing above what it took me to build the structure. The only permit that was required I buy while building my house was for the septic tank system.

Ditto

AL

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Hey, I know that place

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cisco
Hey, I know that place

you need to go back to that thread and add some "done" pics so we can whip up some inspired motivation.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I'll take some this weekend and post them the 1st of next week. I'd do it from the farm but my connection there is slow at best.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
My shop had a small apartment in the front building. (no kitchen tho) I stayed there for about 4 years. It took some getting use to, but hey, I was never late for work laugh Really was not legal for me to live there tho, (zoned Industrial) and luckily moved out several weeks before the gestapo arrived. shocked They were convinced that someone was living there. They interviewed all the neighbors, and my friends set them straight! grin

My abode in planning is a garage with a loft apartment. Finally legal to do that now at my new property. Minimum requirements are 840 sq ft of living space, 2ft overhangs and nothing narrower than 24 feet wide. (of course, all the other code stuff)

Make sure you have plenty of windows tho. Biggest drawback I had at the shop apt. One tiny window. Probably why the gestapo never found out!

JKB, ain't kidding! The absolute best thing we did was add enough windows. There's no way to overcome the basement feel of a metal building without enough natural light.

AL

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Speaking of our residences at the pond...(that some of us do not live at full time) are there any novel ideas any of you have incorporated to make burglary less likely? We may build a small cottage or cabin next year and we were trying to think of little things we might do to make it harder to break in.

Of course nothing is fool-proof..the bad guys can break in banks and Fort Knox if they are determined enough. But what about like heavy duty shutters on windows? Metal doors? cameras, nosey neighbors? I was even thinking of somehow making the flat screen TV somehow made into the walls...or would it be cheaper just to let the thieves grab them easy and let insurance pay for the replacements?

ps: sorry if this is too much thread drift

Fishing has never been about the fish....

I'm working on the same thing Mark. I've got some ideas, but I'll wait to relate that til I can flesh them out.

I really hate to say this, but in our case I'm not sure anything but incredibly loud noise will work as a deterrent. Craig's List takes the pawn shops out of the equation, and I'm sure you know that Crystal Meth usage has really exploded around here. Rural Sheriff's departments will tell you that CM has greatly increased crime.

Evil Doers want things that can be turned quickly, and carried easily. Most rural property owners have some type of utility trailer, and that makes their job that much easier.

This is a tough nut to crack.

AL

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Al I wonder if making it really tough to drive up to the cabin might work?...if there is only one way to drive in...make the gate very secure and hope the burglars are too lazy to carry stuff several hundred yards to their vehicle if they had to jump the fence?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Mark I'm not sure about the gate. I don't know if a gate secured with a logging chain says I'm secure, or I'm gone.

But I think you're right on point about inconvenience. If it's difficult to get in and out quickly, then hopefully thieves would move on to someplace easier.

AL

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Mark, here's my thoughts - fancy gates with ranch names in bold letters invite thieves and trespassers.

At one time our camphouse was visable from the highway.
It was broken into and cleaned us out!
Lost all tools, stove and utensiles, table I built in high school shop, trophy deer mount, personal items - still makes me sick.
That was more than thirty years ago.

We let the brush and trees grow and took off my fancy G/ brand and let the gate go into disrepair. Now I even have to hunt for the entry way!

No one even knows it's there except a near neighbor.
No trespassers or breakin since!
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

B
B
I put a solar operated farm gate at the end of my driveway. Very convenient. Cost about $1000, but affords a bit of security. Also have a sign that says "Smile for the cameras". I've been asked about the signs and all I say is there are cameras around the property.
Especially effective when you can tell someone that I saw you stopped by. Word gets around about security.

T
T
Originally Posted By: Zep
or would it be cheaper just to let the thieves grab them easy and let insurance pay for the replacements?

Just so you know I had an employee that last year had his insurance canceled after his 3rd claim (guns & TV's stolen on 3rd claim). He Said it cost him alot more to get new insurance also.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This is great info for me. I don't know how I missed the Cisco's original thread???

I'll have to check into the building codes in the Miss. county I plan to build.

What was the reason for the questions about epoxying the garage floor? decay or water seepage???

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Tums is right. I had trees fall on my house 3 different times over a 3 year span. The company that insured this house and every other house, building, & business that I had bought over a 35 year period canceled my home insurance because I had 4 claims - the 4th "claim" was when someone broke a window out of my car and stole a computer. When I called my agent she said don't file a claim because it might effect your insurance. So I didn't, but they still said this was a "claim" and so the records showed I had four claims and the &*%$#@#@s cancelled my homeowners. Naturally, I told them to %^&$#@#$*^% and cancelled them. It was much harder and more expensive to get new homeowners insurance when I bought my new house.

Just do it...
T
T
Originally Posted By: djstauder
What was the reason for the questions about epoxying the garage floor? decay or water seepage???

Epoxy allows you to clean up stuff that would normally have stained the concrete. IE petroleum products, dirt, ect... Not to mention looks better also. I toured a facility last week that floors looked cleaner than most peoples counters.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Epoxy floors are great. Just make sure to have enough anti-slip in the epoxy. You can't add it later......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...