Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,798
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (Knobber, shores41, Justin W, John Folchetti, Snipe, Sunil, FireIsHot, catscratch, Boondoggle, esshup, LeighAnn, canyoncreek), 960 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
I have name this the Jethro Bodine memorial pool/pond

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Thanks for the help.

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Bill,
I agree with the dye program I have done that for 4 years and it just adds to the complexity of the issues and Doesn't help.
Yes, I do have a nuterient issue. I have a some YARD fertilizer runoff that I have taken steps to control and Have used some PHisolock on the issues with some limited success.

Last year I replanted much of the with Water lillies
and Increased the Shade to the pond that has also helped.

Lots of different fish, SMB, Yellow pearch bluegill,6 koi,lots of green sunfish and red ear. Plus 6 big head carp at 30+ LBS .

I see that every one is guiding me to a bio filter of some kind and I agree that will work but I just dont have the Time to Build or maitain the system. I already spend LOTS of time working on what I have. I just don't think I am up to Slaying another Dragon In this process. If the mechanical system doesn't work I can Scrap it out for some $$ recovery whereas the bogg Process would be an time consuming process and maybe 2 seasons to tell if it is going to work.

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
This is the time when I eat some crow. I am learning that the filteration rate needs to pass 100 % of the water through the filter every Hour. I will need 25 thats right 25 10,000 gal/per hour systems Plus l25 large uv systems stacked together.

The filter system would be larger than the pond.

Well,,, now I know.

I like my Crow on a sandwich with MAYO...

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think your in the Wrong place for advice.. This is more of a fish driven pond forum, your more in the swimming driven pond division lol.. I'd suggest talking to swimming pool expert or commercial aquariums like at the zoo or something.. They've got huge aquariums they keep crystal clear so it's got be able to be done..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Rob Cater
This is the time when I eat some crow. I am learning that the filteration rate needs to pass 100 % of the water through the filter every Hour. I will need 25 thats right 25 10,000 gal/per hour systems Plus l25 large uv systems stacked together.

The filter system would be larger than the pond.

Well,,, now I know.

I like my Crow on a sandwich with MAYO...

Just get one of these for UV. Aquafine UV

I can also find you a mechanical pre filter and pump that will do the trick. Probably would all fit quite nicely in a 16' x 24' pump house with room to spare.

Gonna need a 3 phase electric service. I would do a 200 amp drop to have extra.

Pretty stiff price tag tho, but a whole bunch cheaper than what you just said.

Still gonna be some big bucks, and just may be able to keep it out of the 6 figure range. That's an all depends tho.

Last edited by JKB; 07/17/12 04:09 PM.
have you heard of the 'natural swimming pools' ???

check out Biotop and Bionova online.

they utilize in-pond plant filtration and are fully scalable to any size. The websites have pics of natural ponds up to many acres in size, in use as public pools in Austria and Switzerland.

the water quality is crystal clear.

good luck-
adam

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
You also might look up information in koi pond forums that have the same needs as you, water that fish can live in and clear enough to see them.

L
L
Interesting, the Bionova is basically pond/bog plantings where the water is forcibly pumped through the root systems and gravel. A glorified large under-gravel aquarium filter. I LIKE it!

I think you are also over-estimating the maintenance of the bog/wetland filter, which has to be much less than maintenance of a active mechanical filter system. Think when the sand in the filter gets plugged up? Huge project!

R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
I have been doing lots homework on the natural pond system and am getting enough information for consideration but I like what I see so far. Adam.. Thanks for the great referal we will see where it leads. I have to keep working. I AM NOT READY TO GIVE UP ON MY QUEST

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
What about a gravity sand filter?

R
R
Originally Posted By: JKB
What about a gravity sand filter?

I was thinking Diatomaceous earth our pool was filled with 25k gallons of algae one year.We just kept running it through our de filter before adding anything.I was amazed at how the stuff just grabs algae from the water.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Try consulting WAC at koiphen http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread...pool+conversion

Here is another link http://www.totalhabitat.com/p&p.html

It's more and more common with swimming ponds rather than pools here in europe (eco friendly).
Good luck with your project

PAUL
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
This is the time when I eat some crow. I am learning that the filteration rate needs to pass 100 % of the water through the filter every Hour.

The needed turnover rate(volume) of the bow, is entierly deepended on the bioload put on the bow.
You can achive a lot by not feeding the fish, and take full control on the runoff water, going in to the pond.

I will need 25 thats right 25 10,000 gal/per hour systems Plus l25 large uv systems stacked together.

You should look at differente pumps/uv(ozone) systems zizes.
Axial pumps like this
http://www.lykkegaard-as.dk/en/?download=UK-HDPE.pdf http://www.lykkegaard-as.dk/en/?download=UK-steel.pdf
cut from here http://www.lykkegaard-as.dk/en/?Products:Data_Sheets
moves 5 to 105 us gallon pr second, also with airlift pumps you can achive some impressive volumes with "low" power use.

Here http://www.ultraaqua.com/products_monoray_c440ss.html
you can fine proper zized UV systems.

I newer bought any thing from the companys above (links).
You can probably fine suplyers, closer to home, I'm just trying to point you in a direction of more propper zized equipement.

PAUL
B
B
Water Daphnia eat green water, but fish eat Water Daphnia. UV sterilization works but you have to have the right size and flow rate for your pond, larger ponds are too expensive. I use the plant "water hyacinth" to keep my koi ponds clear. Water daphnia live in the roots and fish will tear the roots out trying to get to the daphnia so its best if the water hyacinths are in a pond away from fish especially koi. Water hyacinth are a heavy feeder and utilize ammonia directly and work best with flowing water going through their roots. I keep a 20,000 gallon pond stocked with 800+ pounds of koi clear all summer in full sun with a 8,000 gallon flow rate through a 200 square foot area full of water hyacinths.

These ponds also have filtration systems that pull sludge off the bottom, and are aerated heavily which is also key. Fish produce Ammonia, which gets turned into Nitrates by bacteria. You have to remove the ammonia or the eventual Nitrates otherwise you are going to get green water. Nitrates can be deluted with water changes, or expelled as a gas using trickle towers.

Last edited by Bickal Koi Farm; 12/05/12 10:21 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
'Nother New Guy
by John Folchetti - 04/19/24 11:40 AM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 11:34 AM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
Major Fail