Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,770
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
8 members (ArkieJig, Bigtrh24, rjackson, Dave Davidson1, Freunb02, Bruno616, catscratch, Theo Gallus), 849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: highflyer
ONE more day and IT IS ON!!

I'm ready!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Nice work guys - you better tear it up - wish we were closer!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Had a blast!!! Thanks for hosting all us crazies Brian and Heather!!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Had a ball!

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
What kind of freakin' update is this?????

Weak...Freak.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
That's like you take your kids to Disneyland and you get home, and someone says how was your trip and your kid says "ok".
We want details, and at least a couple of pictures!!!!

Just do it...
OP Offline
Just hold on guys. Trying to get some pics put together.

No animals were harmed in the making of this event!

AL

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
No animals were harmed in the making of this event!

Yeah, but how many livers got a good workout laugh

It would be pretty difficult to get something like this going around here. I currently can not think of anyone that is less than a couple hundred miles away.

Glad y'all had fun!

OP Offline
Well it happened, and it couldn't have been a nicer day, or more fun. Brian's place was the perfect spot for this first get together, and we all certainly appreciate the effort Brian and Heather had in putting all this together.

Having something like this on a BOW seems like a perfect evolution to all that Pond Boss is about. We all met around 10 (with one late surprise guest for George, Eric West), and took a tour of Brian's place. He is intensively managing his lake, and spent time explaining what his goals were down the road. He set up a solar powered aerator that he's working on, and having the ability to set a system up in a remote region was interesting to say the least.

Brian's Lake (It ain't a pond)

But, George was the King for a Day, and we all got a lesson in what humility, knowledge, and fun can bring to the table. There's no way I believe that George is 88 years old. He has a intellectual drive, and a continuing sense of curiously that is rare in a person of any age. But, Nicky's the boss, so don't let George fool you into thinking any different.

After a lunch of great BBQ (thanks Mark), George sat down and demonstrated the making of the Cecil's pellet fly. The previously posted pics don't do this method justice. It's incredibly easy to make, and it's value makes perfect sense. Those of you that know George, know that he is probably not a fly fishing "purist" in some people's eyes. But, his match the hatch talk, changed that for me. If you're matching the worm, bug, or fish that a predator may eat, then a pellet fly makes perfect sense. It is in fact, matching the hatch.

George and Eric during pellet fly demonstration

After that George gave us all a casting lesson. It's a shame that people, including myself, think that casting a 1/64th ounce bait is tougher than it is. Believe me, George can hit a gnat in the air at will. We all paired up and practiced until we got the hang of it, then walked down to Brian's lake and fished for a while.

George and fly casting 101 class

There was much more that went on, but the fun of this 1st NE Texas get together can't be over emphasized enough. All of us there face basically the same issues, and successes, and sharing ideas was great fun. If any of you in other areas of the country have the opportunity to do something like this, then jump on it. It was in fact, that much fun.

Left to Right: Nicky, George, Eric, and Dave.

I'm sure others that were there will give their thought's and pics too, but these were mine. I'm tired of thinking now.

AL

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Mrs. G and I want to thank Heather and Brian for their hospitality and friendship for one of the very best days of our lives of food, fun and fellowship!

I have missed our PB friends since our Arlington days due old bones and health issues but Bob was forgiven when old friends made a surprise visit and I got to tell the Boss hello on Brian’s cell phone.

I had heard a sad story from the Guv about not about not being able to attend but he was a lyin’ thru his teeth when I felt a firm big arm grasp on my shoulder - what a welcome surprise…..next when I was a tryin’ to teach a bunch of Texas rednecks how to tie a pellet fly suddenly appeared my ole buddy Ewest behind my back - what a surprise - after a warm handshake and manly hug, I had to walk away….. He made a non-stop drive from Jackson Mississippi to attend Brians party!

Got to meet in person my good friends Al and Robbie when they volunteered to be our designated driver to Brian’s place.
Also Janice and Bill were highlights of the party.
I got to hug all the girls….!

Bunch of Ole hairy legged boys showed up and I’ll let them all ID themselves cause I might leave someone out.

All in all a very humbling and gratifying day spent with old and new friends - I hear by the grapevine that next years get-together is already in the planning stage.

Many - many thanks everyone!
George and Nicky

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Now that's a good wrap-up!!!

Just do it...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here are a few pics. Beautiful day , good friends , food and new memories. Thanks to our hosts Heather and Brian . I will let others comment on their pic.

Last edited by ewest; 11/19/12 10:16 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Great recap!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
It was fun. George even taught Charlene how to fly fish. She caught a HBG.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
WOW! That was a great gathering of some really nice people. Our host Brian and Heather were most gracious to put this event together. I met some really good people and learned a lot. George and his wife are really special. There were many others that I hope that I may call as friends in the future. Lets try to do this again soon.

Attached Images
DSC04221.JPG DSC04206.JPG DSC04213.JPG DSC04214.JPG DSC04195.JPG DSC04191.JPG DSC04160.JPG DSC04161.JPG DSC04162.JPG DSC04166.JPG

It's another day in paradise
B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
More Pictures!

Attached Images
DSC04179.JPG DSC04155.JPG DSC04154.JPG DSC04151.JPG DSC04150.JPG DSC04149.JPG DSC04148.JPG

It's another day in paradise
I'll post a few pictures here in a little, I just had to share one think first. It was one of the most profound things I have heard in a long long time.

Before I give you all the quote, I need to set it up a little for those who may not know George's history, so here goes. George grew up in East Texas. It was a small town where everyone knew everyone. At 17 George was welding on an industrial scale. By 19, George was on Saipan trying to keep our aircraft flying as a Buck Sergeant Inspecting welds ensuring our boys had a fighting chance. By 20, George had lost several classmates, friends, and comrades to the war.

George had been on the forefront of the oil and gas industry most of his life right up to retirement.

George has out lived most of the friends he had in his youth. George has survived two life threatening cancers that would have killed mer mortals, and knowing all that I was blown away but what George said after our boat ride. Here goes.

George said " Days like these make the journey worth it."

What a simply elegant statement, and it said it all.

Yesterday was about as perfect as it gets. The good Lord gave us perfect weather and he brought such joy to me and Heather as we do love our place, but sharing it is even more enjoyable. This was just the latest get together in East Texas, and it won't be the last, but I doubt there will be one that is more memorable for me.

Last edited by highflyer; 11/18/12 09:36 PM.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
That was a fun day. Meeting so many great Pond Boss people after "knowing" them on-line was pretty cool. Brian and Heather are great hosts and have a beautiful place. George was the star of the show. Lets do it again in the Spring.

Rex/Rainman with wife in canoe:

HighFlyer/Brian showing one of his projects:

Healthy bass on old reliable "H&H"

View from the dam:

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Okay here are a few Pics Heather and I took.

Dave teaching George how to cast a fly fishing rig!!

Bill and Janice back from a pond tour via canoe.

Mark, Chris, Larry, Janice and Bill having lunch.

Eric, Nickey, and George with Eric's poster for George. Checkout those smiles!!

Mark, Larry and Janice down by the pond having fun!

Heather's picture of the group!!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Lunker
Lunker
Great recap everyone - sounds like a blast was had by all, and by all accounts everyone was very well behaved.

Dave...you look at though the flyrod was going to reach up and bite you - classic shot! Did you catch some BG flycasting?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Yeah, I caught one after George corrected one of my mistakes. I had overlooked a couple of things that you showed me in Missouri.

I like using the long rod. However, my fish have figured it out.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
BTW, I got to put some real names with some PB "Handles".

Zep is Mark, Larry is Bishwacker, and Janice is Jkreuger.

One of the most entertaining things was watching Janice's husband Bill trying out a kayak that was just about his size. He didn't go back for seconds. He preferred the canoe.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 11/19/12 05:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Braggin Time
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 07:12 AM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by Theo Gallus - 04/18/24 06:14 AM
How many LMB to remove?
by Foozle - 04/18/24 05:59 AM
Opportunistic Munchers