Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (Freg, dg84s, IND1371, Sunil, Augie, Fishingadventure, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 793 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Eric,
Thanks for the opinion on where to place. I saw a small plane crashed in Jackson; anywhere near you?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
P
P
Here's a couple of layouts we put together for a few clients.

The Kelsay job was to add 25% of the 20% of surface area of the 6.5 acre pond in artificial habitat. The remaining 75% of the suggested 20% was installed with plants, boulders, rock/rubble and large wood. The goal was to add just over 1.3 acres of habitat, or 20% of the surface area as Bob suggests.

The smaller one acre pond in Texas, wanted all artificial habitat, with no weeds or aquatic plants. Note the travel paths from shallow to deep. It is based on 25% of the surface area in habitat.

Attached Images
Kelsay layout 2006.jpg Perez pond habitat plan.jpg
Last edited by Peepaw; 11/14/12 09:58 AM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Peepaw can you add those attachments as a pic so I can add them to the structure archive? Good plans btw.

DJS the plane crash was at the old small airport not near me and not near the commercial airport.

Last edited by ewest; 11/14/12 09:58 AM.

P
P
Three years on this site and I'm still a computer idiot/dork. I think I have them in the gallery now. Thanks.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Peepaw - thanks I added them as pics to the structure archive

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=312006&#Post312006

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Way too much scattered structure for me - I like CONCENTRATED structure in KEY areas - with balanced cover.

I don't want to have to hunt for my fish in a pond,... smile

Last edited by george1; 11/14/12 11:12 AM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DJS these pics show one option we use for feeders. These are in time order for building such a structure. You can plan and adjust how the structure will look and work by the size of the tree , how you hang them (top , bottom or middle tie)and the length of line.

Last edited by ewest; 11/14/12 11:33 AM.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
That No Fishing sign is pretty tempting...if you found your friend TJ sitting on the bench, fishing, some afternoon would you:

1. Call the Sheriff

2. Toss me off the dock

3. Bring two beers and start fishing with me

I dig photos of Eric's ponds...beautiful setting. Thanks for sharing!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
ewest, I do the same thing, but use 10 foot metal conduit as the stake. They are very cheap and the Christmas trees will slide down the pipe very easily when waterlogged. I just tie a short piece of nylon rope to the tree with a loop knot on the end and slip the loop knot over the pipe. With the metal conduit pipe, you can drive it into the lake bottom with a fence post driver. Each year I add a couple of trees to each structure. Don't have to worry about the stake rotting.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ, you wouldn't be fishing, you'd be studying the age class structure of the fish in the pond, right? wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
TJ the only people who get to fish at the feeder for BG when the feeders are operating are small children or others who have not caught a fish. You might fit in one of those categories. laugh

Once in a while when mgt dictates harvest or sampling (pics or condition)we allow fishing for BG at the feeder.

From this location we once sampled and some relatives (4 – 1 adult and 3 10-12 yr olds 2 who had never fished) using worms were catching about 1 BG per min for about 10 mins. I got out the Stubby Steve’s and they started catching BG as fast as they (I) could unhook them and put it back in the water. On 4 Stubby Steve’s pellets (one each) they caught 121 BG in 15 mins. Then we stopped because my hands were torn up as I was the hook remover , pic taker and condition analyst.

Bill that is a good idea !!

Last edited by ewest; 11/14/12 12:04 PM.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
We fish the feeders with no negative effects - all in the name of responsible "management" grin
All female CNBG between 5 and 8 inches are removed, resulting in exceptional male gowth.

Lots of fun to hook into a BG HSB - that's what it's all about for me... cool

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Lunker
Hmmm...addressed like a true attorney choosing his response carefully - neither commits to nor confirms anything! Sounds like a push off the dock to me, but maybe followed by a towel and a beer? Not like it's the first dock I've fallen off...I like my chances. smile

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Peepaw #312036 11/14/12 01:49 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Peepaw

The Kelsay job was to add 25% of the 20% of surface area of the 6.5 acre pond in artificial habitat. The remaining 75% of the suggested 20% was installed with plants, boulders, rock/rubble and large wood. The goal was to add just over 1.3 acres of habitat, or 20% of the surface area as Bob suggests.

The smaller one acre pond in Texas, wanted all artificial habitat, with no weeds or aquatic plants. Note the travel paths from shallow to deep. It is based on 25% of the surface area in habitat.

Thoughts -
On Kelsey project: Various pondweed cultivars will be introduced into NE ponds - Sago, American, Horned, etc. which will, depending on the water clarity, likely grow around the perimeter of the entire pond 3-10' out. One thing folks forget is that aquatic vegetation is "structure/habitat" - and unless there's a intensive management plan it should be added into the 20% formula, right? Just a thought...

On the TX project: Owner wants zero vegetation...hope he realizes that's impossible without heavy duty management plan. Did he stock hundreds of GC or does he own DuPont - laugh? Seems an improbable expectation, I guess you just shrug your shoulders and do what he contracts you to do...guy's gotta make a living after all.

PS: I really like the concept [utilizing post consumer product] and design of this PVC structure - superior IMO to globes or the standard trees with 1" PVC branches - which is what I've used, but because it was free/cheap/readily available.

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 11/14/12 01:56 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
TJ we fish for LMB at the feeders. It works well. Here is an example. This fish was caught at a feeder which is about 10 feet to the left of the camera position. We would not throw you in the lake but this fish might drag you in. laugh

Last edited by ewest; 11/14/12 02:55 PM.

P
P
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: Peepaw

Thoughts -
On Kelsey project: Various pondweed cultivars will be introduced into NE ponds - Sago, American, Horned, etc. which will, depending on the water clarity, likely grow around the perimeter of the entire pond 3-10' out. One thing folks forget is that aquatic vegetation is "structure/habitat" - and unless there's a intensive management plan it should be added into the 20% formula, right? Just a thought...

You bet, that's how I understand it. The 20% rule is a combination of all materials, including and especially the plants. Just under 15,000 sq. feet of artificial habitat was installed, about 35,000 sq. feet of vegetation and 9000 sq. feet of logs and boulders. The vegetation will increase over time.

In a best case scenario, a healthy weed line grows annually, without getting out of control. As ewest and Bob point out, most productive for fry and forage protection. I'll guess Chris had about 60% of the remaining habitat installed in aquatic vegetation. The boulders and logs add up as well to put him in good shape for now.

On the TX project: Owner wants zero vegetation...hope he realizes that's impossible without heavy duty management plan. Did he stock hundreds of GC or does he own DuPont - laugh? Seems an improbable expectation, I guess you just shrug your shoulders and do what he contracts you to do...guy's gotta make a living after all.

Agreed and discussed with client. "Least weeds as possible" was the request. They opted to install 25% of the surface area, or 11,000 sq. feet of artificial habitat.

Keep your eyes open, the material can be found in many places. The intention has always been to re-use/recycle what is safe for the fish and water. No different than old pallets, buckets, pipes, wood...stuff that will sit in a corner, or get tossed out anyway.

PS: I really like the concept [utilizing post consumer product] and design of this PVC structure - superior IMO to globes or the standard trees with 1" PVC branches - which is what I've used, but because it was free/cheap/readily available.

P
P
Originally Posted By: Bill Douglas
ewest, I do the same thing, but use 10 foot metal conduit as the stake. They are very cheap and the Christmas trees will slide down the pipe very easily when waterlogged. I just tie a short piece of nylon rope to the tree with a loop knot on the end and slip the loop knot over the pipe. With the metal conduit pipe, you can drive it into the lake bottom with a fence post driver. Each year I add a couple of trees to each structure. Don't have to worry about the stake rotting.

Great idea, stakes stay and gives you same spot to keep building/holding the fish.

ewest #312063 11/14/12 05:30 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
TJ we fish for LMB at the feeders. It works well. Here is an example. This fish was caught at a feeder which is about 10 feet to the left of the camera position. We would not throw you in the lake but this fish might drag you in. laugh

That is an amazing fish...I can't believe the health. It deserves a front cover, I just wish my man E was holding it!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
David, what is a cradle?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
P
Cradle is a shallow unit of fine PVC strands for fry. It stands over 24" tall and opens to a good 42" wide ball of cover. Can be bent in any direction or left to open like a lava lamp........hey, got any of those laying around?

Attached Images
Fishiding Structures FHS-121.jpg Fishiding Structures FHS-130.jpg shallow cradle PVC habitat.jpg
P
P
We have played a lot with different shapes and designs of habitat layouts. One cool tip we found out was when we run a line of habitat from north to south. Depending on the sun's location, the bass would prefer to stay on the east or west shaded side. Casting along the shade line is a killer tactic. Nothing new, just fun to install a shape and know where the fish will be at a given time. Pockets, points and inside turns are the "spots on the spot" when targeting predators.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
That's interesting. So, in the morning, cast to the West side of structure and in the afternoon cast to the East side. Makes sense but I had never thought of it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes we design and place structure to provide shade all day so the LMB can move and stay in the shadows during warm weather. That is a good place to find them. Also for winter fishing we provide structure east to west so they can stay in the sun and in the structure and out of the wind (quiet coves) and next to shore opposite the prevailing wind. Northwest wind blows plankton to the SE shore and small fish follow to feed. An E-W line of structure just off that bank in deeper water in the sun is the idea.

Last edited by ewest; 11/15/12 10:39 AM.

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Eric,
Do you add new trees every year or wait a few years for the originals to disintregrate?

Also, how deep is the water where you put your trees; 3-4 ft?

Thanks,
Dan

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I add trees every year as needed. Not all locations need trees every year.

I tie the trees on the post so they hang at certain depths and angles to cover the area wanted. After a year (or at replacement/renewal time) I cut the ropes (trot line string) and let them sink. Then replace to match conditions. Over time you have a cone from bottom to surface (or as deep as you want based on rope length on the still hanging trees). The bottom trees which have defoliated have more room (fewer and bigger branches) for larger fish while the new ones on top have thick branches for small fish.

Water in that feeder structure location is about 9 ft. Water at feeder on dock is about 5 ft.

We have about 100 such tree structures like that over 3 lakes. They range from about 4 ft to 25 ft of water. This does not include the shallow water ones which are not on posts but staked down (trees on their side) about 30 - 50 feet from the BG beds.

That is only part of the structure plan as we have all types - pallets , rock piles , tree tops , artificial pot structures , platforms and more.

Last edited by ewest; 11/16/12 11:53 AM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday