Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,977
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (Theo Gallus, Augie, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, jmartin, Pat Williamson), 1,216 guests, and 377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#310891 11/03/12 11:11 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I got a email from a friend in my states fisheries dept about talk of a banded sunfish project.Now this was before sandy changed a lot of peoples plans,but it got me thinking.Now i never knew of these little guys but my research so far seems to lead me to believe they might be a good forage option for some.Especially as hsb forage and possibly small mouths too.

So while trying to keep my mind off of home I figured I'd see what you all have to say on the little guys.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
From what little I've read they don't appear too hardy, probably why they're endangered.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think they have specific habitat requirements too. CJ will have pretty good input when he gets back here. I'll bet he's busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest right not though. Has he posted since Sandy hit?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/06/12 08:28 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I think they have specific habitat requirements too. CJ will have pretty good input when he gets back here. I'll bet he's busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest right not those. Has he posted since Sand hit?

He has posted a bit.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
From what little I've read they don't appear too hardy, probably why they're endangered.

a few of them are endangered in some states,but chances are I'll have a few in a empty tank when i get home.If I can't kill them in a fish tank I call them hardy.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The little sunfish you refer to are probably the bluespotted, banded and blackbanded sunfish. The bluespotted is by far the most common and widespread of the three. The blackbanded is the least common and most restricted and is endangered in a number of states. They make great aquarium fish however, not the best forage fish. They are rarely found in habitats where they compete with other more common game fish like BG or LMB. They have low fecundity and require very thick vegetation to seek cover in. Also, their habitat preference is for soft acidic waters. That precludes HSB as a predator of them as HSB like hard neutral or slightly alkaline waters. I stocked a few bluespotted sunfish in my forage pond where they have just barely hung on without predation with extensive food. Once predators go in, I suspect they will not last.

There are other small sunfish species to choose from. In the Midwest, the orangespotted sunfish which has been talked about on the forum before is an option. They are however adapted to conditions similar to FHM. They may be a reasonable additional forage for SMB, but I doubt they would do well in a LMB pond. In the south there is the bantam sunfish and also the spotted and redspotted sunfish which are a bit larger than the previously mentioned sunfish species. The dollar sunfish is also found in the south and remains quite small. Again, most of these species are adapted heavily vegetated waters where competition from BG, LMB or other more common game fish is limited. There are also the longear and redbreast sunfish which will reach 8"-10" in size but can do OK in ponds with more common game fish.

R
OP Offline
R
thanks cj,that pretty much covered all of my questions in one post.I'm still going to try and get my hands on a few for the tank anyways.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Good Luck, experimenting is what makes this hobby so much fun.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
With the rising popularity of cool water fisheries [SMB, YP, WE, HSB] I would like to experiment to find the perfect combination of forage for fish with limited gape.

Can you tell us more about the OSF - maximum size, fecundity, etc? I want to start over someday to create a better fishery overall including minnow species Bill and Travis have discussed, smaller shiner species, and need an alternative sunfish species to complement the RES population.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I like the longear myself and have had a few in tanks. I put them in my pond and actually caught each of them once. They have now probably been eaten by a LMB, but then again maybe they were lucky.

I guess if I happen to catch them again some day I will know. As there are only 2 in my pond. I have thought of adding more, but may wait and try that with a different pond a few years down the road.

Would be neat to see how large one could get in a pond and how they take to feed.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
OSS reach a max size of about 6.5" with 4" being more common. They are small sunfish and thus don't produce as much eggs as a BG would. They are capable of spawning multiple times in a year like BG. They are adapted to sub par habitat. In natural conditions they are found in muddy, vegetated backwaters where there is minimal competition with larger Lepomis species.

In my opinion, the best sunfish species to use in a cool water pond fishery as both forage and game fish is the redbreast sunfish RBS or the longear sunfish LES.

Lunker
Lunker
Travis, please provide a summary of the size and spawning capabilities of the RBS and LES and why you feel they are better suited...I promise I'll save it to my notes this time. wink

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Pumpkinseed Sunfish are a great fish for northern ponds where you need forage for fish with a limited gape. They eat snails and clams like redear sunfish, but they don't get as big. Also, they don't have the reproductive capacity of the bluegill which can completely overrun a smallmouth pond.

Reality is constantly ruining my life.
Lunker
Lunker
Just checked research - says PS females lay 1,600-2,500 eggs - then another source says up to 15,000. Not sure if they are multiple spawners. BG can lay up to 80,000 and are multiple spawners. Those details suggest that PS should serve as a perfect panfish species for northern ponds, including those with management performed by limited gape predator species [YP, HSB, SMB, WE, BCP]. However, Dr Dave Willis has reported high density, stunted populations of PS in fisheries managed by SMB. My confusion is obvious...Dave can you shed any light on this?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I'll offer my 2 cent opinion, from observations in my trout pond which has heavy GSH population and not very heavy PKS pop. is that GSH help control the PKS's from over populating by being an aggressive consumer of fry.
This works well in my pond as the trout have plenty of forage, both PS & GSH while consuming very little trout pellets.

Of course with variables in water PH, temps. and long frigid winters make it hard to say this will work in other ponds.
The best scientific answer is "it all depends". grin

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I commonly see PS stunt in ponds where they are not properly managed by LMB. Every pond is unique though, like AP's pond.

RBS and LES have similar fecundity of about 8,000-20,000 eggs. They spawn once per year. The RBS maxes out at about 11" with 8" being big and 6" being typical. LES have a few very distinct subspecies, some even split them into separate species. The northern subspecies gets larger, max size is about 9" with 7" being large and 5" being typical.

I like RBS because in nature, they are commonly found in the same habitat as SMB. If you are fishing a SMB river and you switch to a smaller bait, you'll likely catch RBS in the east and LES in the Midwest. RBS are not as rounded as BG, meaning a smaller mouthed fish can feed on them. RBS can still attain a quality size with 1 pound fish not unheard of.

Lunker
Lunker
Thanks Travis. Is a LES more fusiform than a BG, too?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
PS have been shown to stunt and likely stunting will not be controlled by normal numbers of small mouthed predators (SMB , YP , HSB). Of course that depends on the BOW and the species populations.

I do think PS are an under used species for pond owners. I would put PS ahead of (not as apt to stunt) both BG and GSF. The use of forage/predators like GShiners which have been shown to be egg and fry eating could help in that regard.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=156359&page=1 PS traits – Willis , Cody , West and others with studies

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=181958&page=1 PS Willis and most of the rest of us

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post199423 PS and SMB + other species Willis , Cody , and the rest of us

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post242440 PS with Wills (this may be the one you want to start with) and the crew

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=260475&page=1 PS long thread by AP , Willis and the crew – great pics

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post296225 PS reproduction Willis , Cody and others

Last edited by ewest; 11/08/12 10:38 AM.

Lunker
Lunker
Good info Eric.

L
L
From what I am told up here in WNY, PS and BG have roughly the same reproductive rates. Not sure if the BG are native varieties and reproduce at lower rates, or if it is environmental conditions. I love PS as they are a beautiful fish, and robust fighters.

If you want the pumpkinseed STRICTLY as forage, is there a problem with them stunting? I would think that having an entire population of fish that are small enough to be eaten by your smallies would be a good thing. Still learning here.

Reality is constantly ruining my life.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
PS like BG get to big for the avg SMB gape size. This is due to their sunfish shape and dorsal spines. PS do stunt but not as bad as BG.It may work but it can also not work. A better approach for SMB would be GShiners.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Thanks Travis. Is a LES more fusiform than a BG, too?

LES are more rounded like a BG as compared to the RBS.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 02:46 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM