Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,120
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
10 members (jbird5986, Justin W, Bing, Boondoggle, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 890 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#309071 10/14/12 01:42 PM
jmed999 Offline OP
OP Offline
I had my pond surveyed and the LMB are over populated and were told to keep all the smaller fish especially the 10-12" LMB. So if I catch a 10" LMB what should I do with it?

It's not worth cleaning and eating. I don't want to throw it in the trash because it will stink. SO what do you guys do with these fish?

Thanks!

I want to grow 10 lb'ers!!!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Bury them. Whenever we have some dead fish I dig them a shallow grave. Also, along the same lines, use them as fertilizer in gardens.

Fisheries Biologist, Texoma Hatchery.
www.texomahatchery.com
jmed999 Offline OP
OP Offline
Bury them alive or kill them somehow first?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
That just depends on your personal philosophy and feelings about live creatures.

Fisheries Biologist, Texoma Hatchery.
www.texomahatchery.com
jmed999 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I would prefer to kill them but not sure what the quickest way is. Anyone know?

What does everyone else do with the small ones they remove? I can't be the only one on here with an over populated pond.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Since growing double-digit Bass is not part of my management plan, I prefer having a pond full of 10-12" largemouths. However, I do cull BG quite regularly, and simply give em' a toss over the dam, still kicking...I would do the same with the Bass were it beneficial to my goals, although a 12" Bass might find its way into the skillet.

I understand that this issue may be difficult for some, but I am of the belief that being a good pondmeister may well involve making decisions that are....uncomfortable. I think by necessity everyone draws their own line in this regard. If we didn't, how could we fish with live bait?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you check with your local agency on the legalities, you cold create an inexpensive cage to house the excess largemouth. Often the local game and parks commission biologists know of a home, perhaps public waters for bass of this size. Just a thought. Completely agree with sprkplug in regards to euthenizing fish, but sometimes there are other options as well.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
jmed999 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm ok will killing them but just not sure how to do this or what to do with them afterwards. What if I stick a pin all the way through their eyes...will that kill them?

Could I throw them back in the pond dead? Does this cause any harm to the pond, ie. bacteria, disease, etc?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm afraid if you blind them, they may live, which would be the worst of all scenarios. I also wouldn't throw the dead carcasses back into the water...we all try so hard to minimize the nutrient loading in our ponds. Cage idea to keep them alive? There's actually a lot of people who would like to take live adult LMB off your hands. Maybe you could trade them for another more preferred species.

Last edited by Bruce Condello; 10/14/12 05:57 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll bet almost anything that there's somebody...either a private landowner or a pond manager who would love to take live largemouth from you.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That's a good idea. Finding them another home would fill the bill nicely, for all parties involved. There's surely a new pond, or perhaps even a BOW with an existing management strategy in place, that would benefit from having some additional bass.

jmed999 Offline OP
OP Offline
But I usually catch them one or two at a time. It wouldn't be worth the gas to take the to another pond or for them to get them from my house. I'm not interested in caging them.

Does anyone know of a quick way to kill a small bass? Why do you not want to load the pond with nutrients?

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Chop there head off with hatchet. Throw them off back of dam. Watch your fingers!

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Nutrients are like vitamins...good in moderation, but if excessive they can actually make things worse. Something in the BOW will try to utilize those nutrients, and that's usually in the form of advanced plant or algae growth. More work or expense for the pondowner trying to manage the BOW.

The hatchet idea would be quick and easy.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
If you want to kill them first, I have seen "fish bats" for sale at walmart, just give them a whack and it kills them I guess. I have never tried it tho. I am usually on the toss over the dam team, or find another pond/skillet. The hatchet sounds like a winner to me.

Get out and fish.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Take fish... Hold it like a football, throw it at the ground.. Dead fish instantly.. I throw bucket fulls of small BG (live and dead) on a back fence line they are gone in a day or two..

Don't over think this buddy lol
PS- another great kill method is what I call the windmill.. Don't even take it off the hook just mindmill it on te hook flat into the ground not humane but deadly..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 10/14/12 09:46 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you mix regular table salt in a 5 gallon bucket, (Bruce, how much?) it'll kill them quick. Wally World has 1# containers of table salt for less than $0.50 each, and it could be left in the bucket for a while - not necessary to dump out the salt water every day.

Then toss over the dam for the 'coons or 'possums to eat.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A cresent wrench behind the eyes wack em over the head and the die quick. Works great on steel heads.

Lunker
Lunker
jmed999, how do you kill fish when you plan on eating them?

I'm new to managing fish populations and I don't know what I will be doing with my culled fish either. I always wondered if you could make your own fish food out of them. Maybe gut the fish, freeze and then cut up into cubes to feed other fish (I've never tried this). When I had LMB they would readily eat the remains of a frog that I happened to mow. Maybe the fish cubes could be dehydrated. What about baking the gutted fish to remove some moisture, put it in a blender, add an egg, a little corn meal for a binder and bake again. Think fish cookies for the fish, lol. One does have an investment in their fish (initial cost of stocking the fish itself or even the fish it preys on, fish pellets, etc.) why not try to get that back instead of throwing it away.

I might consider freezing them and feeding them (gutted) to my dogs. I don't like the idea of leaving them for nuisance animals to eat, I have enough of those without attracting more.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Loretta be care that the dogs don't choke on bones.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
R
R
I can't say it is the most legal thing to do in most states,but you might want to ask your local Chinese restaurant.They love to get a hold of them alive,a friend and I where fishing some out of his pond.When I asked what he did with them he told me he takes them to a customer of his that had a Chinese restaurant in exchange for a free meal.

I've personally used them ground up for chum and cut chunks in crab/lobster pots for bait.While not as good as bunker,when chumming the more dead fish you can afford to toss over the side the better.

Lunker
Lunker
I used to bag them whole and throw them in the freezer, from there small LMB were donated to the local raptor recovery center.

T
T
There is actually several things you can do with them. I have traded some to pet stores for fish food. I have one church that has a mamber that will come buy and get them and clean them and store for church fish fry functions. Local private pond owners may need some and will take them off your hands. Many elderly in my area will take them for food, I even have local churches come pick them up and take them to people in need. Also check with some local resturaunts and see if any has a elderly food donation plan. I know I have a local resturaunt that makes plates once a week to send out to elderly and can use them for that. It is just up to you and how much you feel like putting into it.

BTW I have recieved TAX breaks by donating fish. ;0
A church can right you a reciept for the value of the fish you saved them from purchasing as a donation.

Last edited by Tums; 10/15/12 10:46 AM.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
A couple comments... First off - what is wrong with eating a 10" fish? Cut the head off, gut em and fry em! Or even better, I guarantee there are many needy families that would love to take those fish off your hands for food. You probably get as much flesh as from a big BG!
The other point I would make is that several years back studies were done on fish brains to determine if they had the receptors to feel pain. 3 different studies showed that fish do not feel pain. While I vote for the "eat em" or give em away solution, fact is - throwing them behind the dam, clubbing them, etc. does not put them in pain.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
R
R
Interesting that this came up at this time. My wife caught some wieners yesterday and I cut their throats like you would for trout and tossed them on the bank so the resident heron would pick them up on his next visit.

I had a thought this morning of building a small corral near where the heron hangs out that we could toss them in so the heron could "catch" live bass instead of the BG he most assuredly goes after when he's there.

-RFL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 07:18 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images