Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgmbny, cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina
18,519 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,996
Posts558,332
Members18,520
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, tim k, Dux96, Boondoggle, Ponderific2024, mkey), 1,183 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#305835 09/07/12 12:33 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Looking for an acreage management pistol as lugging around my shotgun and 10/22 is a pain. Was thinking a .22 pistol would be the best bet to dispatch of any issues I encounter. I have ZERO experience with handguns except target practice with friends' guns. Any advice on caliber, brand, and any other useful information to consider would be very much appreciated. A friend recommended a ten shot .22 - says he enjoys his a lot - think it's a Walther.

Thanks in advance for the help amigos!

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
TJ what is the purpose (goals) of the weapon ? Rats , beaver etc or self defense or recreational shooting (targets). Is it just for your use ?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks Eric. Self defense from Raccoons that are destroying anything not made out of grass, wood, dirt, or air. Seriously, I need something handy to dispatch of them once I trap in cages. Ideally I'd love this gun to fit in my pocket, if possible. I want something small and cheap to shoot but also want to be certain I am humanely dispatching them. I was hoping a .22 appropriately placed would suffice...is it enough calibur?

Also, I want Amy to combat her innate fear of handguns. I also would like my kids to at least be familiar with the weapon and attain some knowledge, and perhaps they will use for target shooting at some time when they get older.

I really like the looks of the Walther P22, seems like a more compact model, too. Anyone have an opinion?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

C
C
A 22 really is a bb gun on steroids. Not to mention the rounds can travel very far. I carry a 38 bull nose revolver I love for convience. Fits right in my pocket.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I don't see why a .22 properly placed wouldn't do the trick. Maybe two shots just to be sure before trying to grab a coon from a trap. Years ago my uncle did that (not sure what he used to kill it)he ended up with rabies shots as a reminder to make sure its dead first. smile

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
If you do decide to go with a semi-auto .22LR pistol make sure you function check it with the type of ammo you decide to go with. A .22LR is a very dirty cartridge, and in blow back type applications (like most all .22LR semi-auto guns, can foul the action. I stick with CCI ammo for most all my .22 guns.

For a reliable .22LR pistol, I like the Ruger Mark III and 22/45 pistols. Since you already have a 10/22, check them out, they come in many different variations and I'm sure one will fit your need. The browning buckmark is another good one to consider.

When working in the back of my property I carry a Ruger GP100 in 6" Stainless (.357mag). It holds up to the weather very well and has plenty of power and accuracy for raccoon, hog, bobcat, and coyote.

R
R
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Also, I want Amy to combat her innate fear of handguns. I also woudl like my kids to at least be familiar with the weapon and attain some knowledge, and perhaps they will use for target shooting at some time when they get older.

For the reasons in this paragraph I'd have to suggest a single action revolver,imho there isn't a safer handgun to learn on then a good single action.I'm partial to colt and ruger but something like this should suffice http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/09/07/ruger-single-nine-22-magnum-revolver/

A good single action takes a lot of the fear out of firing,you have to actualy cock it when ready to fire,vs something like a semi auto where a second shot can come about by accident.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Either a Ruger mark 3 with a target (bull) barrel, or a Smith + Wesson model 41 would by my choices in a .22

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Gun forum site recommended Ruger Mark III and the Browning Buckmark. I was looking at something smaller...maybe those two guns only appear to have longer barrels. I like the compact look of the Walther - anyone own one of those?

Good idea on the single shot...but I don't think I'm going to spring for two guns, and this will primarily be for my use.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Come on TJ don't buy just one...The second ammedment tells us; The right to bear arms....Plural... grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sheesh! Be careful!

Be careful. We have a lot of fruits and nuts that get caught in frosts this time of year. The fruit ferments. The bears eat the fermented products. It causes bear hangovers, and they become very unpredictable.

A cork gun is probably enough to contain them.

But then, don't forget Larry the Cable Guy's idea of the "right to bare arms!"

No handgun required. Just a little deodorant is probably all that is needed to prevent serious issues.

Crazy Ken cry

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
First not an expert on this topic.

Here is my choice in a small auto 22.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog...id=408&bg=x

Have seen some negative comments on the P22 with ammo and jams. Not what you want with inexperienced operators.

Same with other autos - great if you can operate them but a plain old revolver (wheel gun) is best imo for inexperienced users. On that front you might want to look at S&W Model 43 - good for small hands. When carrying keep the pin unchambered (hammer on an empty chamber).

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
.22 is more than enough. My grand dad used to shoot his cows right between the eyes with a .22 and down they would go right there on the spot. So if he could take out a cow I am sure you can take out a coon!!! I had a Mark 111 long john I called it. It had a 10 inch barrel I loved that thing. It had a red dot scope on it and I could hit stuff at 50 to 60 yards with it. Except it didn't fit in my pocket very well smile smile I had a colt .22 I really liked also. For what you want to use it for almost any .22 would work I think. You going to be up close and personal most of the time if there in a cage. Buy what you think you will like and let us know how it works. Good luck and take them coons out!!!!

Last edited by RC51; 09/07/12 03:19 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Sheesh! Be careful!

Be careful. We have a lot of fruits and nuts that get caught in frosts this time of year. The fruit ferments. The bears eat the fermented products. It causes bear hangovers, and they become very unpredictable.

A cork gun is probably enough to contain them.

But then, don't forget Larry the Cable Guy's idea of the "right to bare arms!"

No handgun required. Just a little deodorant is probably all that is needed to prevent serious issues.

Crazy Ken cry

I strongly suspect Ken has gotten into said fermented fruit a little early today...guess it is almost 5:00 PM out there!

Online Content
Ruger Mark I is what I carry in my Mule, and it's easily 30 years old. Blued/Bull barrel, and has humanly dispatched several pests.

No kick, and the bull barrel makes it stable for kids.

Gun shows, if available, make any of the Mark models affordable to buy and shoot.

AL

C
C
I don't know if a 22 would take down larry the cable guy smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
So THATS what the missed phone call was about. wink grin

Yes, a .22 is more than enough to dispatch a 'coon. Just shoot them about midway back on top of their head on a downward angle somewhere around between their eyes and ears and it's all over. You can use .22 shorts or low powered .22 bullets for that. I prefer lower power vs. higher power - less damage to the trap due to over penetration.

I've got 2 choices for ya. (well, there's way more than 2 but you'll get my dift.) None of the ones that I'll suggest will go easily in a pocket. Not the best way to carry, and a pistol that small shouldn't be used to teach a non-shooter how to shoot. Too many things could go wrong. (holding it too high, getting the web of your hand bit by the slide, etc., etc.)

Ruger Single 6. Single action, can shoot either .22lr or .22 Mag depending on what cylinder you put in. VERY safe to teach with, the gun will not fire if the trigger isn't cocked back first.

Browning Buckmark, Ruger 22/45, Ruger Mark III, or a Browning Hi Power in 9mm with a .22lr conversion kit. grin

I haven't held or shot one, but the new Browning 1911-22 compact looks like a nice one.

In any case, get a proper holster for it. They have clip on the belt ones too.

FWIW, a husband/father doesn't make the best teacher.......

It'd be best if you could find a handgun training class that is offered somewhere nearby that also includes practical use of the gun.

If nobody's used to firing a handgun, I'd opt for getting one that has an external safety like the ambidextrous safety that's on the Hi Powers. That way, you are used to flipping off a safety. If ever the SHTF and you are used to shooting one that has no manual safety (Glock, Springfield XD, etc.), and the gun that you grab has a one, you are going to wonder why it isn't firing when you pull the trigger.

Cody, give Larry a 3rd eye with a .22 LR and that'd "get 'er done"!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oops, I forgot. It's best that you go into a store and physically grab them and see how they fit. everybody's hands are a different size, and some will fit just right, while others won't. The smaller ones require you to hold them without your pinkie finger on the grip, while the larger ones give you a good handful. Some pistols point differently than others.

A friend has two different Smith & Wesson M&P pistols. One a standard size, one a compact. While he can shoot both of them, the compact doesn't feel near as comfortable as the standard sized one. He has to really concentrate on the sights to hit with the compact one, where he can get off an accurate 2nd and 3rd shot with the standard sized one much quicker.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
laugh

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've never found the tree here in Indiana that was tall enough to prevent a .22 from bringing down a coon'. Or Possum. Or, if the dogs were green or of questionable pedigree, a stray housecat. Plenty there to do the job.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Lunker
Lunker
Seriously now.... For versitility, I'd suggest a compact .380
Relatively economical ammo; mild recoil, but much more punch than a .22
Baretta 86 Cheetah (tip-up barrel makes loading/unloading the pipe a breeze)

Or, for basic field-trips, with good accuracy beyond 25'
S&W Model 41 .22

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Seriously, I need something handy to dispatch of them once I trap in cages.

As I was reading this, I realized that I don't have any handguns anymore. I gave them all away. They just weren't very good for anything I wanted to do.

I have a number of "live" traps from squirrel size to groundhog/raccoon size. Generally, the contents are "dispatched" with a .22 rifle at close range to the back of the head. I've known people who have dropped the live traps into their ponds after they captured their prey.

However we look at this, be aware that it could be a controversial subject. Do it very privately.

My brother served as the long time mayor of a small rural town. As mayor, he was the grader operator, town manager, and many more things -- including animal warden. At one point in his animal warden capacity, he shot two problem dogs with a shotgun, and ended up on CNN and other national news outlets after a certain organization complained.

His answer to the reporters who chased him down was mostly bleeped. I think he served two more terms after that, but it was a hassle he didn't need or want.

Anyway, you shouldn't really need much more than a .22.

IMO, a .22 rifle is perfect. You really need nothing more than a single-shot rifle, which is very inexpensive. A rifle, compared to a handgun, is really more convenient and easier for this purpose. You can stick the barrel into the cage, and still not be so close as to worry about missing or getting bit.

I've done this many times, and I've never damaged a cage. The animals don't suffer - they are gone in an instant.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks Ken...I have a 10/22 already, just a hassle to load it in the truck every time I head out to the farm. I see what you mean about the barrel length making it easier to stick into the cage and dispatch, though. Makes sense.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks Ken...I have a 10/22 already, just a hassle to load it in the truck every time I head out to the farm.

This is where something as simple as an old JC Higgins bolt-action single-shot .22 is great. I don't know what the regulations are in your state, but if you need to keep it cased, unloaded, and unable to shoot (such as with the bolt removed) during transport, this is an easy rifle to transport, load, and use. In this area, they typically sell for $50-100 at auction.

And, just thinking about it, I have owned a number of "huntsman" and "woodsman" .22 handguns. I haven't had one in many years. But they had fairly long barrels. I think the clips held about 10 shells. I'm guessing there are still a lot of them out there for reasonable prices.

Last edited by catmandoo; 09/07/12 10:46 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Holy mackerel! After I posted above, I Googled the Colt .22 long barrel semi-automatic pistols of my younger days. I wish I'd kept a bunch of them. They are asking more than 10-20 times what the retail price was for a new one back in the '60s.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
laugh

But Kelly, they make a .48! grin (I got one)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
F
I have 2 suggestions. For a simple, safe, very accurate and cheap to shoot handgun the Ruger Single Six .22 is hard to beat. It is my choice for thinning the turtle population. If you are looking for something with a little more punch at a very good price take a look at the Bersa Thunder 380. A police officer recommended this gun to me and I was hesitant to purchase it because I did not know much about the gun and it was very inexpensive(check Academy Sports). I looked at the reviews online, which were very good and decided to take a chance. I love the size, not too big and not too small, very accurate and after shooting around 150 rounds thru the gun, it has become one of my favorites.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, I think that if you invested 10K in good guns back in the '60's you'd have outpaced the majority of stocks and bonds.

TJ, get your butt in the vehicle and make an 8 hr roat trip East. I'll make a few phone calls and you can be shooting just about any type/style/caliber of handgun you want.

Is this small enough for ya? It shoots bullets larger than .22 LR tho..... wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Ruger 22/45 bull barel workes well for me.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
R
R
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Holy mackerel! After I posted above, I Googled the Colt .22 long barrel semi-automatic pistols of my younger days. I wish I'd kept a bunch of them. They are asking more than 10-20 times what the retail price was for a new one back in the '60s.

We have a colt marksmen in the family that is basically a dolled up woodsman for target shooting,super accurate,great balance and fun to shoot............. but yeah prices of them these days are insane.

R
R
Originally Posted By: Fastpitch
I have 2 suggestions. For a simple, safe, very accurate and cheap to shoot handgun the Ruger Single Six .22 is hard to beat. It is my choice for thinning the turtle population.

The link I posted earlier was for the new Ruger single 9,based on the 6 it's 9 shots in Winchester 22 mag and stainless. http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixSingleNine/models.html

Another option would be the ruger convertible that will shoot 22 lr and 22 mag.

I could't agree more on a single action Ruger being a simple safe and reliable gun.Although I am a little biased as I own a few wink

Online Content
I'm loving this thread. Now, if we can get TJ to ask how to remove critters at 200 yards, that would be interesting stuff.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Why the 200yd limit? wink grin

.308 that I was taking for a test drive. 800 yds.

Same gun, 1,000 yds. I think barrel heat and the subsequent mirage didn't help the group size, but then again I was shooting factory ammo.

It shot consistently 1/2 moa out to 800 yds. FN SPR with Leupold Vari-X III 3-10x40 scope. Bipod and rear bag.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Online Content
esshup, I'm having a man crush on you right now.

Oops, did I say that or think that?

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
laugh Ha!

All I did was squeeze the trigger. I had a good spotter that could read wind/mirage very well and called out the proper dope.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Okay, scott, now we have to compare Ghillie suits.......

1/2 MOA at 800 is very respectable, did you build it?

TJ, handguns are like everything else, it does all depend. Your hand size, your experience, your enthusiasm, your reaction to the recoil and report, things you like and things you don't. Are you the type to clean your firearm every time you shoot it? Are you the type to repair it yourself? Do you only want one sidearm to do everything, or do you want to get a few for different needs?

If you look at a firearm as a tool, define your requirements and then try as many firearms as possible to see how they would work for you to do the job you define.

To teach your wife or children, the 22LR is one of the best rounds to use. It is cheep and widely available. There are firearms from virtually every manufacture to fit every need and hand size.

For my children, I have both open sight and optics on several different firearms and I try to teach them that the firearm you use depends on the task at hand.

As for me, I carry a 40 cal, a 357 or a 45ACP when out on the farm depending on the day and weather. My 357 is still my favorite, but then again, it was my first! But you have to remember, I have feral hogs once in a while, so a 22 is just not going to do it for me on my farm.

I realize this post is not a sexy, but I thought it should be said. But 1/2 MOA at 800, that is very nice grin I remember those days!!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brian:

Nope, didn't build it. Box stock FN Herstal Special Police Rifle in .308. 26" 1:12 barrel, factory trigger set at 4# 9 oz., H-S Precision stock, action not "bedded". Leupold 3-10x40 Long Range Scope, shooting Factory Federal Gold Medal Match 168g bullets. The downside is that it's based on a Pre '64 Model 70 design, which is a controlled feed - have to load the gun from the magazine, I can't just feed them one at a time. There's the potential for bullet tip deformation when they chamber that way.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am leaning towards the Walther P22, Ruger SR 22. Any thoughts on these?

Online Content
So esshup, did you buy it? I'm partial to the Savage 11/111 models myself. I tend to get locked in on brands I like.

And let's not start Ghillie suit talk. I would look like a sweaty camo grape.

TJ, either are fine guns. Maybe you can find a gun store with a shooting range, and see which one feels better.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 09/08/12 11:20 AM.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ, they are about the same. I don't know what trigger is on the Ruger, the Walther is DA/SA, both have adjustable sights and the Walther has interchangeable backstraps to fit your hand better. Price is a wash.

Try both in your hand before purchasing.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
FireIsHot, I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards buying it. I called Savage yesterday as I was leaning towards a Model 12 BR, but my cost would be more for the new gun, and Savage said they shoot 1 MOA. Who knows what this one would shoot like with reloads, but I'm still waffling because of the CRF issue. This a.m. my FFL said the last Model 12 BR was almost impossible to get, but it was chambered in 6.5 x .284 Norma

I could probably get this as a package deal too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

TJ, I would vote Ruger, but your vote is all that matters. The Walthers tend to have feed issues.

Both are going to be wider than the Mark III Rugers

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'd go with S&W 500.. Slightly overkill but it'll stop a coon in it's tracks (even if you miss).. smile

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
J
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
I'd go with S&W 500.. Slightly overkill but it'll stop a coon in it's tracks (even if you miss).. smile

I am kinda partial to The Judge b/c you can shoot .410 shells out of it or .45 Long Colt.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yeah those judges are pretty sweet.. But a 500 will drop a charging elephant I'd be worried about ricochet with my .410 smile

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

R
R
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Yeah those judges are pretty sweet.. But a 500 will drop a charging elephant I'd be worried about ricochet with my .410 smile

As far as charging elephants go,I feel i would be just fine with my ruger super black hawk .44mag wink It has proven itself on a charging brown bear and I know all 6 shots are going REALLY close to where I want to put them smile

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Looking for an acreage management pistol as lugging around my shotgun and 10/22 is a pain. Was thinking a .22 pistol would be the best bet to dispatch of any issues I encounter. I have ZERO experience with handguns except target practice with friends' guns. Any advice on caliber, brand, and any other useful information to consider would be very much appreciated. A friend recommended a ten shot .22 - says he enjoys his a lot - think it's a Walther.

TJ

TJ...Have you forgotten the accuracy of this Ultrastar .40? PVC Muskrat control pistol It is a chinese knockoff of a S&W Tactical and fits a hand beautifully....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman

TJ

TJ...Have you forgotten the accuracy of this Ultrastar .40? PVC Muskrat control pistol It is a chinese knockoff of a S&W Tactical and fits a hand beautifully....

Oh boy! For any newbies who don't know our really good friend Rex (Rainman) -- cover your computer screens NOW!

I'm one of many who has stood next to Rex (Rainman) when he has had a gun in his hand with projectiles coming out the end of it.

Just remember, guns don't kill muskrats ... they kill PVC drainpipes! Protect you mailboxes too! And, even if it is a sunny day and snow is not predicted on a beautiful early autumn day, make sure you have a road grader available when Rex arrives. He does deliver good fish ...

Rex -- I know things have changed a little, but we sure hope you are gonna be at the conference this year! We love ya dood!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Cathy and I will be there Ken!!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have way too many pistols but I never shoot any of them. Some are expensive and some are more "utility".

The Ruger single six is about all anybody needs if they want a dang short gun. Buy something you don't mind scratching up. I consider pistols of all kinds useless for home protection. Only semi auto shotguns really work for that.

For most things, I'm like Ken. Gimme a rifle anytime.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm with you Dave. I have a few handguns and they never get used, my rifles, 410 get used atleast once a week.. And of course pistol grip shotgun for home defense..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
TJ you've got lots of great pistols to choose from, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.
A KEL-TEC PMR-30, it's a 22 mag so you get more punch than a 22, light recoil for your wife, very accurate, and holds 30 rounds so you should both be able to hit what you aim at. grin

Well for training my children marksmanship skills and simple varmint dispatching, I use:

It is a Ruger Mark III Hunter with a VX3 scope which can be removed if you want to use the "Iron Sights." And yes it can strike a match, I prefer the Ohio Blue Tips when proving that fact!! grin

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice one Brian!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

I had to be patient to get that scope, but man is it nice and my children get to practice on both open sights and optics with just one firearm!! And 22's never lie.....they go where YOU point them!

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Smith & Wesson model 617 is a great gun. Its a ten shot, single action, .22 long rifle revolver, with a 4" barrel. The S&W K frame revolvers have a pretty wide selection of holsters available and if you can't find one to suit you, then you're too damned picky.

Reality is constantly ruining my life.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Went with the Ruger SR 22 - new model this year. I've been doing some target practice - I am not very accurate with a pistol beyond 20 feet, but I am improving. Thanks for the guidance fellas!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You pick up the can of oil and the cleaning kit yet?? wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Went with the Ruger SR 22 - new model this year. I've been doing some target practice - I am not very accurate with a pistol beyond 20 feet, but I am improving. Thanks for the guidance fellas!

TJ: I think that is a good choice. I'm a bit of a handgun fanatic (I'm not even sure how many I have). I used to use a Beretta Minx .22 short for dispatching trapped animals (works fine). Handguns are my preferred choice for hunting. I have a couple .44 mag revolvers that I use for deer hunting (have also used for squirrels and groundhogs). A TC Contender I've used to shoot coyotes, groundhogs, etc. A number of self defense guns in those typical calibers and a bunch of .22s. {including 2 of the Ruger Mark II targets, 2 Brownings (1 bullseye model and 1 field target) and two Walther P22s.} The P22s feel very good and are very popular with friends and guests who we let shoot them. Mine have been perfect (no jams at all); but there are reports that some have had problems and that the Ruger is simliar; but higher quality. The Ruger Marks and Browning Buckmarks and S&W 41s are easier to shoot well; but are larger. You might get some instruction on shooting from someone to shoot that pistol better; but shouldn't expect to be able to shoot it as well as one could one of the larger, more target oriented ones.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great between you and Rex, your PVC pipe must be trembling in fear. shocked

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I could not hit that PVC rat if my life depended upon it. That was a helluva shot I now have come to truly appreciate...though my PVC still does not share my enthusiasm.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I am not very accurate with a pistol beyond 20 feet, but I am improving.

You could always switch to .22 shotshells. laugh

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I could not hit that PVC rat if my life depended upon it. That was a helluva shot I now have come to truly appreciate...though my PVC still does not share my enthusiasm.

shocked laugh laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tacoma Bob
Recent Posts
Tilapia with Winterkill
by Boondoggle - 05/08/24 06:44 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/08/24 03:57 PM
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by FishinRod - 05/08/24 02:02 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13