Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (gehajake, nvcdl), 1,325 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
The crappie preferred the sticklebacks?

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Yep...I couldn't believe it the first time we did the test! We have repeated the test enough times now, with the same results, that we almost use exclusivley sticklebacks and BG's when using live bait for BCP.

My ponds were loaded with them before stocking fish so maybe its just what they are use to chasing. I don't know. I know they eat young fish but I haven't had any issuses on fish recruitment.

I hate hooking those sticklebacks but they are one tough minnow.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I had a few smally fingerlings die from choking on a fish a little smaller. I'm starting to wonder if the fish they were choking on were sticklebacks. (the raised spine).

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/20/12 12:06 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty
The remaining SMB in my RAS system still prefer hydrated sinking pellets to floating pellets but I haven't forced the issue yet, it's coming though. I am waiting on a fresh bag of AM500 to come in, hopefully next week. I do have a handfull of SMB (biggest ones in the tank) that have no problem eating non-hydrated pellets off the surface.

Shorty,

I would bet once they got hungry enough they would all feed on the dry pellets especially with some of them already doing so.

Perhaps initially not pinch the hydrated pellets to allow them to stay a float and then go to dry pellets?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/20/12 12:05 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
I'll force the issue when the new bag of feed arrives. I do know there is an interesting dynamic between food deprivation and choosiness that will need to play itself out, it might take a few days. grin

Every couple of days one of my larger SMB grabs a finger tip when when I'm dropping pellets in the tank. laugh

One thing I have noticed is that with big water change outs also comes significant drops in the tank temperature, it seems like an 6-8 degree drop in tank temp really seems to put them off eating for several days, so I avoid doing it.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Shorty once your filter gets established you shouldn't have to do more than a 10 percent water change per day which shouldn't drop your temp too much.

OTOH, have you considered letting make up water stand for a while in a separate container to get the temperature up?

I will soon have two makeshift iron filters which also warm up the water at the same time. The one I am using now is two barrels side by side with one stuffed with bunched up deer fence netting and filter pads.

The water is pulled up through the filter material via a pump that rests on top of the material in one tank which takes the water to the adjacent tank that lacks filter material. It then gets pulled back up a u tube siphon tube back to the bottom of the filter material in the other tank. Once you get enough iron build up in the filter material the filter works even better. At it's peak I can produce 50 gallons of crystal clear make water in 24 hrs.

The last time I ignored the iron it built up and caked terribly on my RBC.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/20/12 12:08 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
On another note I have noticed I have a indeterminant number of smallmouth fingerlings in my big pond that were produced with no effort on my part. They seem to be perfect size for feed training at about 1 1/4 inches.

I'm going to do some seining of the shoreline and see if i can pick up enough to come up with 1000 smallmouth.

[quote=Cecil Baird1]I got up at the crack of dawn to check for the Kingfischer and run him off. (While pond is low and fish are vulnerable). No Kingfischer the first three checks. Took a short snooze, went out and there he was. LOL

I had one take an albino cat 10 minutes after I stocked it mad

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
On another note I have noticed I have a indeterminant number of smallmouth fingerlings in my big pond that were produced with no effort on my part. They seem to be perfect size for feed training at about 1 1/4 inches.

I'm going to do some seining of the shoreline and see if i can pick up enough to come up with 1000 smallmouth.

Very cool! Let us know how it goes. smile

Cecil right now I am doing 10-20% water change outs daily and the water temp only drops 2-3 degrees. I was doing bigger change outs (20-33%) daily before the bio-filter went in in early May. I have only done big water change outs (60-70%) when the tank walls need some scrubbing. One thing I should mention is that my tank is insulated so large drops in the water temp take while to rebound. So far this year I haven't seen waters temps get above 78 degrees in my tank. My SMB do seem to take pellets best when the water temps are above 72-74 degrees. The AM500 I ordered came in yesterday, I just need to pick it up.

As a novice I am really interested in hearing how your pellet training goes, keep us up to date.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'll keep you posted.

I use a couple of aquarium heaters for my system. One is 1000 watts that goes into the big tank and I'm not sure what the smaller on is off hand but it goes into the biofilter
smaller tank.

What I'm dealing with is at the feeding rate the fingerlings need, dirties up the water quickly. I am doing two water changes a day right now. Can't wait until they are a little larger and on floating pellets.

Edit:
Ammonia and nitrites dropped to a trace today. Apparently the biofilter is adapting.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/20/12 10:33 PM.

I'm interested!!!!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
This morning ammonia was zip as were nitrites. Now I should be able to go back to a 10 percent water change per day.

I've got a homemade iron filter on line to keep iron out of the system and will have a second one on line soon, which will make one for each tank.

The iron doesn't hurt the fish at the concentration I'm adding but it builds up on the RBC which reduces space for the beneficial bacteria. It also looks disgusting.

The fish seem to be eating the artificial feed but not as aggressively as I'd like yet.

No morts after just one and no moribund fish.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/21/12 08:50 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Feeding better on dry feed today;both size groups. Some of larger ones even snapped the sinking feed off the surface before it sank. They must have been extra hungry after a night of no feeding.

Ammonia was 0.25 and nitrites zip this morning. Considering how much waste I dumped out of the filter that's pretty good.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/23/12 11:19 AM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is what you want. Eat , grow and go. Kind of like a hog farm. laugh

Thanks for the reports. Pics are helpful.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Eric,

I will take pics ASAP. The water seems to stay cloudy though and I'm not sure how much one would see. It may be the well water I've been adding that is only partially filtered of iron due to only recently only one homemade iron filter on line. I've got two iron filters on line now and once there is enough iron build up in the filter material I should be adding crystal clear water for every water change in BOTH tanks -- if iron is the issue. It could be the fine feed that is clouding the water too.

One issue with pics is a flash is needed due to the low light conditions and the flash spooks the fish.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/23/12 02:51 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, Mike found out last winter that cloudy water in the RAS led to a ammonia and Nitrite spike a few days later. Once the filter caught up the cloudiness went away and the readings dropped considerably.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Scott,

I don't believe that is it in my case as I've been monitoring ammonia and nitrites and they are very good. Ammonia may get as high as .25 ppm and nitrites stay at 0 but sometimes go to 0.25 ppm.

It's probably a combination of the fine feed and the iron. I should have bought a separate filter to polish the water. I'm hoping I don't have bacterial gill issues as typically one uses flow through due to the high feeding rate and fine feed that is fed to fish of this size. I can't wait until I get them on floating and there won't be as much waste and mess!

Here are a couple pics of the smaller ones in the larger tank. They stay low until I start throwing in the feed and they they come up for it. Here some have come up and are feeding.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/23/12 06:09 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That water IS cloudy!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It also looks green from the flash but it's brown.

Lunker
Lunker
Cecil, are you feeding AM400?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It looks a bit funky Cecil. Any idea what the TDS are in the pictures?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
No or low natural light will change the way the color appears. Could be iron as it responds to light as brown in water. Does look a little turbid. Thanks for the pics. Those guys have grown a bunch.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Thanks for the clarification Eric. I did ask a legitimate question tho. wink

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty
Cecil, are you feeding AM400?

No but I have some on order. I'm still feeding 200 to the smaller ones and 300 to the bigger ones.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
It looks a bit funky Cecil. Any idea what the TDS are in the pictures?

No don't have any way to measure it. However I am doing at least one partial water change per day and the filter is catching a lot of waste.

Once the homemade iron filters can produce gin clear water in 24 hours the water should clear up. Also once I get them on floating feed that will reduce a lot of the waste.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build