Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,025
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, phinfan, Sunil, canyoncreek, Jason D, jludwig, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Pat Williamson, STG, catscratch), 1,285 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you can, take some clear close up pictures of the fish (side views) and each individual plant that you have questions about. Post them on here and we can tell you what the plants and fish are, and what condition the LMB are (overcrowded, etc.)

A good company will help you with where to place the diffusers for the aeration system so that it works the best in your pond.

I'd keep every crappie that you catch, either to eat or to feed the raccoons.

I'm with Dave. Don't stock any fish now, the heat stresses them too much. You can stock in the Fall when it gets cooler. Keep the $$ in your pocket right now, lets formulate a plan for the pond first.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'd take your 4k and buy a couple feeders and aeration system.. No need to stock until you know what you need to stock.. You never mentioned what your exact goal with the pond is? Do you want a bass fishery or BG fishery different fish call fro different approaches and neither of them require stocking at this point.. Feeders and aeration will only benefit your pond no matter what you decide so that's a good buy whenever..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
D
OP Offline
D
I'll get some pics. My goal is for the kids to catch a bunch of fish every time they go out to the lake. We were there yesterday, and caught 4 bass in one hour.

Ps I am still waiting for the " fish guy" to give me a quote. He did say that he wants to stock at least 500 12" or greater bass.

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Originally Posted By: drdriller
I'll get some pics. My goal is for the kids to catch a bunch of fish every time they go out to the lake. We were there yesterday, and caught 4 bass in one hour.

Ps I am still waiting for the " fish guy" to give me a quote. He did say that he wants to stock at least 500 12" or greater bass.

You definitely need a new fish guy. Adding 500 12+ bass without knowing the state of the forage base is preposterous!

M
M
Your getting some really good advise here. I wish I would have found Pond Boss before I started. Defiantly do your homework. It will pay off in the long run.

You mentioned Overton’s. Todd and all the guys at Overton’s have been helping me get my pond in shape. I would suggest checking out some of our fisheries. I’m in the Houston area but my property is in Hockley Tx. I would call Todd to make an appointment then grab the kids and drive out to Buffalo just to see his operation. I felt much better after talking with them. I went to three fisheries before I pulled the trigger. Plus I can pick up the phone and call them if I have a need. I had my first stocking delivered because of the amount I was ordering but after that I just drive up and picked them up myself to save some cash. I stocked BG, RES and FH in October. Bass, tilapia and more FH went in at the end of May in the spring. All the fish transported without any issues.

With your pond you may not have to spend near as much on fish as I did so 4k is a good starting point. The aeration will eat most of that up depending on what direction you take.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
With the 4k budget I think you could completely turn your pond around. If you build te aeration yourself it could be done just as good as professionally, my aeration for a 3.5 acre pond with 3-3 diffuser stations all self sink hose and a 3/4 gast compressor in a nice metal box all work done by me came in at about 2k $700-800 was selfsinking hose, I posted the whole process and it looks professional.. You could get 2 directional Texas hunters fr about 2k also or 3 Texas hunters non directionals for about $1000? (I think) and still have $1000 for stocking.. YOU GOT MULTIPLE OPTIONS WITH THAT BUDGET..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If your goal for the pond is a bass overcrowded pond that has a lot of 12" skinny bass, then stick with that fish stocking guy. If that's not your goal, beat feet away from him and find someone else. There are a number of good fish suppliers in Texas, there's no reason why you should deal with someone that doesn't have your best interest at heart. Unfortunately, there are fish suppliers that are only interested in selling fish.

Go to http://www.acme.com/planimeter/ find your pond and measure it. That way you know exactly what size pond you are dealing with. Many ponds that I see are overestimated in size. unless thay are newer ponds and of a regular size.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 12:25 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length