Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
12 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, jpsdad, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 957 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Just the book? I have one in my basement. Maybe I should sell it!

I sent one of my spares to esshup. I have seen them as "rare collector items" going for a pile-O-cash. Still have two more that I'll hold on to until the price really jacks up wink

One of them has a signed "Thank You" note from the author, and was a freebie.

It really is a good book that takes the Heavy Science and Engineering out and makes it easy for someone to get going on a small budget.

SVG did a good job on this!

Last edited by JKB; 12/31/11 11:52 AM. Reason: added stuff
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Steve is also a good guy that will take some of his busy time to answer any questions you may have. And he does consulting on much more complex systems than in the book and is president, I believe, of a fish farm in PA.

However it is worth mentioning the RBC in the book, of which I have built two, was used in Biosphere II.

Last I corresponded with Steve he's not sure he will republish the book or will do a digital version. He is baffled by the prices his book is selling for though. (Original list price is about $25.00.)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/12 10:43 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That book is a very good piece of reference materail. Thanks JKB!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I got some good information today from Bill Lynch Ohio state extension agent and perch producer extraordinaire. (Where I got my original perch stock from).

I was concerned about my perch swimming around and around with the current of the circular tank. I asked him if he has seen this and if it's normal etc. Here is his response:

Cecil,

Yes I have as we have nothing but circular tanks. They will constantly swim in a circle, speed dependent on water volume flow rate and direction. In food fish perch culture swimming is good as it builds fillets and not body fat. Also limits nipping at each other. They swim the fastest right after being put in a tank and then often slow down a little bit once they get to it. But always in a circle.

Bill

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/01/12 11:13 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Perhaps a better pic of the bluegills. I was able to eliminate the AIAF (red light) that freaks them before the flash freaks them. Doesn't look like over 100 bluegills in a 300 gallon tank but it is.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks - looks like 40-50 fish - nice size.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Thanks - looks like 40-50 fish - nice size.

Apparently the rest are inside the front edge of the tank and to the right. I know I counted about 104 and only lost two. One jumped up onto a shade net I had and couldn't get back in and the other was swimming erratically so I removed it. No fish on the floor!

This explains why I've bought fish and was sure I got less than they said!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/03/12 06:04 PM.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Can you explain your setup in more detail, I am trying to figure out what you have in the center of the tank as well as what the pipes are in the picture.

Thanks

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
MrHello,

Basically there is a hole cut out in the center of the fish tank (4 inch hole for 3 inch Uniseal) The Uniseal takes the place of a more expensive bulkhead fitting.

A piece of 3 inch PVC with a shower drain inserted and glued into a section of 3 inch PVC pipe and a plastic washer to keep it from pulling through the Uniseal and tank, goes down from the center to an elbow via a rubber coupling.

Here's is the shower drain without the grading cut out.

Here the grading has been cut out:

Here are the three components separated:

On top of the shower drain in the center of the tank is a flat plastic plate attached with stainless steel screws to keep the fish in (1/2 inch gap), but also allow water to flow down to the clarifer tank (plastic drum).

Here's a membrane diffuser attached to the flat plate, which btw, also prevents a vortex from forming as the water goes dowh the drain, which is advantageous. The diffuser added oxygen and is supposed to help in self cleaning of the tank.

Here's a view under the tank to show the connections.

From there the 3 inch PVC drain pipe goes along the floor to a gate valve and another rubber coupling. When draining the clarifier tank to get rid of solids I close the gate valve and cap the siphon tube to prevent draining the tank. (This is the yellow perch tank).

Another short piece of PVC connects to a 't' which connects to a plastic drum on the vertical part of the 't', and the rear edge of the 't' goes to a drain hose and ball valve to close or open the hose.

Water is pulled up through filter material in the barrel to both the spray bar and the RBC tank via a small pump sitting on top of the filter material in the barrel, which is adjusted with a ball valve. The overflow goes back to the fish tank. The water going to the RBC tank drops in center paddles which turn the RBC.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/12 12:03 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That's just too cool.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dwight

I found the book (brand new) on Amazon for $2400.00!

I just got an email back from the author. Steve says it's sold out but he is going to have more printed. Whoever buys that book at $2400.00 or $900.00 and then it comes back out for $25.00 is going to be pissed! laugh

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/12 10:46 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Dwight

I found the book (brand new) on Amazon for $2400.00!

I just got an email back from the author. Steve says it's sold out but he is going to have more printed. Whoever buys that book at $2400.00 or $900.00 and then it comes back out for $25.00 is going to be pissed! laugh

Here is one on ebay that did not sell. See the ad "Compare elsewhere at 900.00" SCA ebay

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Uh-Oh JKB....looks like the bottom may be about to drop out of the aquaculture reference material market! laugh

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here's a pic of the YOY yellow perch in the perch tank. Again there doesn't seem to be as many fish in there as it looks but there are about half of the 728 fish in there with the other half at the high school.

BTW that's not algae in the tank. It's a combination of iron (in make up water from well) and tannins from the feed. Looks more a light brown than in the photo.

The fish are feeding so well 3 X per day I'm doing slightly over a 10 percent water change per day. Some pretty wicked smelling solids come out of the bottom drain and clarifer tank! A quick pull of the gate valve and a ball valve on open and most of it goes down the drain! What doesn't go down is sprayed down with a garden hose and nozzle.

Gotta go. It's feeding time again.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/06/12 12:37 PM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Cecil,

We are about to finish our house and I am getting ready to set up my system in the basement so it is ready for the fall. I am looking a possibly a square 180 gallon tank because it will fit better in my space. Do you see any problems with a square tank vs. a round one?

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CoachB
Cecil,

We are about to finish our house and I am getting ready to set up my system in the basement so it is ready for the fall. I am looking a possibly a square 180 gallon tank because it will fit better in my space. Do you see any problems with a square tank vs. a round one?

It won't self clean very well and you'll have solids sitting on the bottom in what are known as "dead zones." You can do it but you will be limiting your carrying capacity by not removing waste efficiently.

In my first tank that was circular but did not have a center drain or centripetal flow I was constantly netting up solids on the bottom. Of course every time I did this I stressed the fish.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/30/12 12:46 PM.

J
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Cecil,

It won't self clean very well and you'll have solids sitting on the bottom in what are known as "dead zones." You can do it but you will be limiting your carrying capacity by not removing waste efficiently.

Couldn't you block off the corners somehow and help improve that situation?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Square and rectangular tanks require some engineering to make functional. That said, they are far more self cleaning than a round tank could ever be.

I would go with round or oval for starters and keep it simple.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Square is more self cleaning? Then why would I go with round? The tank I am looking at sits in a rack and has a low spot in the middle of the base (not a cone, but not flat in the bottom).

Brian
Retired Coach

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Square tanks need to be custom built for them to be self cleaning.

I am sure the tank you have will work to an extent.
Maybe have to spend a little extra time cleaning and such.

How many fish are you planning on?

Can you show us a picture?

Lunker
Lunker
Cecil, what size pump (GPH) are you using?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Here is the picture from the Harrietta Hills catalog.

It is 180 gallons. I could not find it on their online catalog. I know that round would be ideal, but 42" x 42" will fit into my space so much better. The round is around 60" in diameter. If anyone knows of a deeper tank that would be roundish and around 200 gallons, please let me know. I can work with under 50" in my space. Rubbermaid has a 150 gallon oval that might work.

I want to raise around 100 tilapia over the winter. I have two fish tanks for the brood stock and raising the small fry. This trough will be for the fish up to about 6 inches.

Brian
Retired Coach

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
... they are far more self cleaning than a round tank could ever be.

I couldn't disagree more JKB and so does Dr. Timmons, Dr. Ebeling, or Dr. Summerfelt, three of the biggest names in RAS' but hey we don't always agree do we JKB? grin

The engineering I've seen to effectively keep clean rectangular and raceways systems with all the plumbing is beyond most people that are starting out.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/30/12 03:24 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Square tanks need to be custom built for them to be self cleaning.

I am sure the tank you have will work to an extent.
Maybe have to spend a little extra time cleaning and such.

How many fish are you planning on?

Can you show us a picture?

Yeah what you said in bold! wink Another stressor for the fish!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/30/12 12:48 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here is the picture from the Harrietta Hills catalog.

It is 180 gallons. I could not find it on their online catalog. I know that round would be ideal, but 42" x 42" will fit into my space so much better. The round is around 60" in diameter. If anyone knows of a deeper tank that would be roundish and around 200 gallons, please let me know. I can work with under 50" in my space. Rubbermaid has a 150 gallon oval that might work.

I want to raise around 100 tilapia over the winter. I have two fish tanks for the brood stock and raising the small fry. This trough will be for the fish up to about 6 inches.

Coach,

Stay away from rectangular and oval tanks if you can for you first project. Sure you can make them work but it's a lot of extra work and not very cost effective for what you want to do. On the other hand if you must, you can probably get away with it as tilapia can handle dirty water, ammonia, and nitrites better than other species. Maybe it's just me but when I build something I want it as cost efficient and working efficient as possible.

I have a round tank that is 48 inches in diameter that is cut down from a water storage tank. If you can find a plastic tank manufacturer in your area they may have some sitting around they'd be happy to cut down for you. That's what this one did for me:

http://www.assmann-usa.com/Open_Top_Tanks.htm

They told me whatever size I need they will accommodate me if I give them a heads up. Of course it helps I ran cross country and track with the salesman's dad and really talked him up. grin

The one I got from them, any feces rarely sits on the bottom very long due to the smooth surface, and the spray bar I installed creates a circular flow that sends it down the drain pronto.

I got it for much less than any of the commercial tanks.

Rural King also sells a 4 foot plastic stock tank very reasonably. I can get one from my local store and not pay shipping if I wait for them to get it in.

Whatever you do don't pay shipping for a tank! It can be more than the cost of a tank! It's ridiculous!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/30/12 12:52 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday