Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,104
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
12 members (Bill Cody, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure), 725 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#287861 04/14/12 08:43 AM
W
OP Offline
W
I am looking for a supplier for some blue tilapia for FA control. I live in north central In.(near Mentone, 18 miles sw of Warsaw) and have a 1/4+ ac. pond. Someone close or who could overnight would be great. What sizes should I get as I have an established CC,LMB, and BG population. Thanks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What size of LMB are in the pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Scott, will you be getting any Blues from me this year for distribution?

Warrior, I can certainly get them to you. 10 pounds of the standard stocker sizes I supply would do you very well.

Bill Cody, Fin Farm, ATAC, Inspired By Nature and Remlinger Fish Farm, all in Ohio will have plenty of my Blue Tilapia starting the first week of May.
Readers: see Rex's correction note below dated 18/04/12.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/18/12 07:16 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Possibly. When will you be up this way?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
4 weekly runs nearly fully loaded so far in May with Blue Tilapia only. Expecting to have to squueze in 2 more.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Rainman
4 weekly runs nearly fully loaded so far in May with Blue Tilapia only. Expecting to have to squueze in 2 more.

Go Rex Go!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

W
OP Offline
W
The largest bass we have pulled out have been 2- 16" that weighed 2 lbs. We caught and removed 3 CC a year ago that weighed 5 lbs.

W
OP Offline
W
I will try and contact you personelly. Is there a number where i can reach you and what is the best time to call.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Think you might actually make it to WV this year with some of those?

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Scott, will you be getting any Blues from me this year for distribution?

Warrior, I can certainly get them to you. 10 pounds of the standard stocker sizes I supply would do you very well.

Bill Cody, Fin Farm, ATAC, Inspired By Nature and Remlinger Fish Farm, all in Ohio will have plenty of my Blue Tilapia starting the first week of May.

I have a correction......

Fin Farm is NOT selling my Pure strain Blue Tilapia!! The owner had previously verbally agreed he would use me as the tilapia supplier, but has since purchased tilapia from another supplier....after attempting to purchase from one of my contracted Alabama growers. The tilapia listed on the FinFarm website is described as a Tilapia....." "...cold water strain of Tilapia.". Looking at the picture posted on their website, the tilapia shown is a T Mozambiiccus (Mozambique). I can not say what actual species they are actually offering without seeing the actual fish.

In EQUAL, POUND PER POUND COMPARATIVE STOCKINGS of Blues versus Moz. in the NW Ohio region, the Moz. (and hybrid blues) produce approximately 1/5 the total single season forage production of a pure Blue Tilapia. It is the offspring produced that make the noticeable algae/vegetation reduction. Common sense and logic dictates 1/5 the total offspring production will mean roughly 1/5 the vegetation control attained. In short, it will take many more pounds of any tilapia species/hybrid to be stocked to gain the same forage production and vegetation/algae control than a pure Blue Tilapia, and that control/forage production is shorter in duration.

I recently spoke with Mr. Utrope of Remlinger Fish Farm and was told they will now be using at least 2 tilapia suppliers/species/hybrids of Tilapia....

ATAC has not placed a confirmed order for any tilapia, yet.

Inspired by Nature has always been using my pure strain Blue Tilapia exclusively, and is having me supply all his other fish species being offered by them this spring.

Bill Cody, I should have clarified earlier, is NOT a distributor of my Blues. Bill allows me to stay at his home and only acts as a meeting point for pond meisters wanting to meet and pick up fish already pre-paid. Bill has paid close attention to what the different tilapia species for some years now and knows first hand benefits in his climate. Bill speaks at several seminars that include educating the general public and fish professionals alike about many things pond related, including the differences and benefits/drawbacks associated with the varying tilapia species/hybrids.

If you want pure strain Blue Tilapia from any fish farm, you may want to ask them educated questions about tilapia. If you want my particular, proven Blue Tilapia, ask if I am their "pure strain Blue Tilapia" supplier, any will immediately say so. Of course, I will gladly affirm or deny that as well...lol

Anyone should feel free to contact me directly if you are unsure of a farms tilapia source, or simply ever have tilapia behavior/stocking questions.

As always, my only concern with any post I make, is that all Pond Boss readers/members be able to make an informed choice on what differences exist to best meet your goals.

I apologize for jumping the gun on listing who I was supplying my pure Blue Tilapia, and again, I only want each individual pondmeisters to make the best choices for their individual goals based on full knowledge, repeated observations and fact.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/18/12 07:15 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I am a bit confused?

Do you actually breed and produce these fish, or just a live hauler/middle man?

Please forgive me, but I thought you just picked up from one place and delivered to another place. The use of the word "my" is throwing me off a bit.

Just curious.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Let's wait for Rex's official comment but he does mention above that his fish are: ""from one of my contracted Alabama growers"". So is a contractor responsible for his work or not? I think yes. I would consider that his fish are basically his and produced according to his standards. IMO This is quite a bit different than a live hauler who essentially will haul and deliver anything without concern for quality or integrety of the product.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/18/12 07:25 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
JKB, I own the pure Blue Tilapia brood stock and offspring produced and contract with two farms that have geothermal, 80 degree ground water sources. One has the 5 acre brood pond and handles fry fingerlings and the other is my grower that grows transplanted fry to pond stocking size for me exclusively.

I used to raise all my tilapia in my basement, but when I went from a hobbyist to a true business, my volume skyrocketed...In a very LARGE part due to Bob Lusk, all pond boss members, and Bill Cody. You should read my first post here...lol

What began as a personal quest to find a natural, consistent solution to FA control in my own pond has opened an entirely new market in northern climate states. Three years ago, I doubt a single fish farm in Ohio ever heard of Tilapia other than as a restaurant menu item. After Bill Cody spoke of my fish' potential at a seminar 3 years ago, the proof of my fish has most fish farms in the area scrambling to satisfy their customer demand for "Blue Tilapia". And unlike most any other fish, it is ALL about the genetics in the cooler areas for goal success.

I do source the best species-specific fish available for any other type fish I sell/supply from many conventional fish farms across the central US. One farm may have an awesome Smallie but lousy BG. I could get all "common" fish from a single source and save a lot of time and money...my personal/professional goal, and what made me "go into business" is to bring any customer entrusting me with an order the best fish out there.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Let's wait for Rex's official comment but he does mention above that his fish are: ""from one of my contracted Alabama growers"". So is a contractor responsible for his work or not? I think yes. I would consider that his fish are basically his and produced according to his standards. IMO This is quite a bit different than a live hauler who essentially will haul and deliver anything without concern for quality or integrety of the product.

Not a big deal Bill.

So the fish are actually "sourced" based on specifications, but not actually produced.

Clears that up!

If I needed some Tilapia, I'd give Rex a call.

Like I said, not a big deal, but curious!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Looks like I am too late with my reply.

Last edited by JKB; 04/18/12 07:55 PM.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
JKB, I own the pure Blue Tilapia brood stock and offspring produced and contract with two farms that have geothermal, 80 degree ground water sources. One has the 5 acre brood pond and handles fry fingerlings and the other is my grower that grows transplanted fry to pond stocking size for me exclusively.

I used to raise all my tilapia in my basement, but when I went from a hobbyist to a true business, my volume skyrocketed...In a very LARGE part due to Bob Lusk, all pond boss members, and Bill Cody. You should read my first post here...lol

What began as a personal quest to find a natural, consistent solution to FA control in my own pond has opened an entirely new market in northern climate states. Three years ago, I doubt a single fish farm in Ohio ever heard of Tilapia other than as a restaurant menu item. After Bill Cody spoke of my fish' potential at a seminar 3 years ago, the proof of my fish has most fish farms in the area scrambling to satisfy their customer demand for "Blue Tilapia". And unlike most any other fish, it is ALL about the genetics in the cooler areas for goal success.

I do source the best species-specific fish available for any other type fish I sell/supply from many conventional fish farms across the central US. One farm may have an awesome Smallie but lousy BG. I could get all "common" fish from a single source and save a lot of time and money...my personal/professional goal, and what made me "go into business" is to bring any customer entrusting me with an order the best fish out there.

Not questioning integrity... Just curious, as I have said.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Just to clarify further...I am a fish supplying "source", for anyone, looking for any fish, including any species/hybrid tilapia.

With respect to "my" Blue tilapia, I OWN all my known pure, Blue Tilapia (T Aurea). I sell my pure Blues on ebay, directly stock, and supply to to retail distributors. I do not "source" my Blue Tilapia, yet I also do not own the private ponds they are kept and grown in. These "contract growers" are not my employees, they raise and care for MY fish. I have complete trust and confidence in the places I've chosen and won't go into the details of the individual agreements with my grower/producer. I will say the man that grows out my fry into stocker size will not let one of my fish leave his property unless it is dead, or in my truck.

In the past 5 years or so, I have sold hundreds of thousands on my pure strain, so it is entirely possible someone is now selling/reproducing from seed stock I originally supplied. To the best of my knowledge, no one that has tried to spawn and sell the quantity of fish needed to supply even a small fish farm and had any success is still out there or "in business". I believe I am still the only source for a known pure Blue Tilapia in any meaningful quantity.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/18/12 08:51 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
lol Jkb...I know you weren't questioning my integrity buddy...I was merely giving a brief history of how I started this quest and wanted to give credit to the great many here that played huge roles in my education and burgeoning success and reputation as both an entrepreneur and live hauler.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
lol Jkb...I know you weren't questioning my integrity buddy...I was merely giving a brief history of how I started this quest and wanted to give credit to the great many here that played huge roles in my education and burgeoning success and reputation as both an entrepreneur and live hauler.

That is what my inquiry was about.

Hope no one else took it wrong.

Last edited by JKB; 04/19/12 03:05 PM. Reason: added else

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:15 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails