Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,104
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
12 members (Bill Cody, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure), 725 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
trapsht Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I've come to terms since my last post that my new 1 ac pond will not be a trophy bass water. So I've changed my goal to a well balanced fishery where my kids and I can just catch some healthy fish. I really don't want to stock HSB at this time....Ive always wanted a pond with LMB.

I've contacted 3 different fisheries and received 3 completely differrent stocking recommendations. I've compromised all 3 into 1...what do you think?? I will be feeding daily, and I'd like to stock larger than fingerling size if you all think it's worthwhile(I'd like to catch these fish next year if possible). I spent nearly $30K on the pond so I don't mind shelling a little more out for the fish.

--BG=3-5" 250
--FHM= 5 lbs
--CC=4-6" 50
--Pumpkinseeds=3-5" 100(This is only for a little variety)

Justin

Justin,
Texas Hunter fish feeders are top of the line. If you want to fish big fish in your pond think about a feeder. Also, you might want to think about aeration. The Indiana clan here should be able to advise. Do you need to fertilize up there? If so get started when they (the locals) tell you to.

Where does the water come from, a spring or runoff?

A one acre pond can have a few LMB, most of the guys who want a few big bass only stock females.

And like I always say, KNOW YOU FISH SUPPLIER. Know his reputation in the area. It does make a difference.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Justin:

Typically the ratio is 750/250 BG/RES per acre. Only stocking 350 is a lot light. RES or Pumpkinseeds will do the same thing in a pond, but the RES will get to roughly twice the size as PS. If PS are stocked in a pond with RES, they will act more like BG than RES. If they are stocked with BG, they will act more like RES than BG.

I'd look at putting in more FHM too. You want to be able to walk on the backs of the fish before you stock the predators. Yes, 5# will reproduce in the pond, but if you can start out with more than that, so much more the better.

The CC will start to act like predators once they get larger than 18" or so, and in my experience, will get increasingly more difficult to catch as they get larger, especially if they were caught and released before. I have caught 2 large CC in my pond, tagged them and released them. In the (now going on 3 years) time that I've tagged them, I've only seen one of them once. The biomass that they take up could be used by something else.

Last edited by esshup; 03/21/12 07:01 PM. Reason: cc info.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
trapsht Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks Brian....Most of the water will be run off from woods and corn field. I do plan on aerating once I get power to the site.

How would I know if I'm getting quality fish from my supplier?...I don't know anyone in the area who has stocked a pond...are there specific questions I should ask? The local wildlife club is having a fishery deliver for next month for a good price---250 fingerling BG for $70...I'd really like to get bigger fish though

There are several reputable suppliers in your area. Esshup or one of the others should be able to help identify a good local source.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
T
trapsht Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My rationale for the PS over the RES is because I thought that the PS would do better than the RES due to my northern location...am I wrong?? I was going to go with a smaller# of fish due to purchasing larger size..3-5". I'm still not sure if this is necessary since I'll be feeding. If you tell me that I need to stock 750 regardless of the size, then that's what I'll do.

Thanks

T
trapsht Offline OP
OP Offline
T
THe local DNR biologist told me not to stock PS and that I should stock 1000 1-2"BG's or 500 3-5"....I'm so confused. Am I overthinking this?? I really want to stock 5-8: LMB in the fall and I don't want them to eat all of my BG

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Where we are at, we are at the dividing line between habitat that RES can survive in and PS habitat. I'm about 30 miles S of the Michigan border, but our winters at times are tempered by Lake Michigan.

Generalities:

You don't want the predators that you stock to eat your stocked fish, with the exception of some forage fish.

BG, depending on quality of food, quantity of food and if they are pellet trained, will grow anywhere from a coouple inches to 4+ inches per year. Don't feed too much, or too little. What they can consume in 15 minutes is about right.

50# of adult predators per acre (LMB) That number could be pushed if feeding and aerating, and the size of the adult fish can vary depending on your goals.

1 LMB will need 10# of fish to gain one pound in weight. Make sure that your predators don't overeat your forage base as the predators grow and spawn.

A pond can support between 300 to 700 pounds of fish per surface acre, depending on how it's managed. That's predators and forage. In a LMB pond, BG are considered forage.

Be there when the fish truck stocks the pond, and look at the fish. Watch what's stocked to make sure you are getting the correct size and quantity of fish that you ordered.

Ask the local biologist what he recommends to stock to take care of the hosts of black spot, white and yellow grubs. He's right, just stocking PS and not BG won't work. If he doesn't suggest stocking either PS or RES, ask him if any of the local BOW's have any parasite problems that have a snail or clam as a host.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
Have you thought about smallmouth bass instead?

Bluntnose Minnows
Golden Shiners
Lake Chubsuckers
Mississippi Grass Shrimp
Papershell Crayfish
Redear Sunfish
Smallmouth Bass

The smallmouth don't have the reproductive capacity of the largemouth and they do not require bluegill for forage, which can be a pain to manage in a small pond.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:15 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails