Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
The 06 is a great caliber, I have a 1903 Remington Springfield that my uncle sporterized 60 years ago, my cousin reloads the ammo for it, it's a real tack driver.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My go-to deer rifle, since 1967, has been a sporterized 1917 Eddystone Arsenal Springfield. It's taken both types of deer, 5 elk and one antelope. Oh yeah, and a couple of pigs. However, sometimes I take the 222, or a 30-30, Jap 7mm or a 6.5x55 Swede. There have probably been a couple more.

I reload for all calibers.

I also have assorted pistols and shotguns but I never mess with either of those. Pistols are essentially toys and I have quit bird hunting.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/01/12 02:31 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I just have a stupid old .300 Win Mag for long range plinking. Nosler ballistic tips work pretty well. It'll punch holes thru stuff pretty good. Been a long time since custom rounds were twisted up. I actually bought it as a potential collectors item. Winchester only made 500, at least that is what I understand. A bit too much gun for hunting in a Forrest, but it is fun!

B
B
I still find myself reaching for the same piece after all these years when things go bump in the night.

I have an older Colt Govt Model 1911 .45 ACP that has never failed me.

I don't know if I've ever met the animal, two legged or otherwise, that could take eight 230 grain slugs in the torso and not have sense enough to die.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
There is an old saying - "You cannot miss a bear enough times to kill it" Better to hit with something you can shoot well and easily then to fumble with a more powerful weapon.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I would like to think my Ruger P95 would do the trick, but I just can't get the image out of my head of it bouncing off.

I feel much more comfortable (in a safe sense) with the Super Redhawk and twisted up loads for short encounter mayhem!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
For small critter removal I like the 22-250. Shoots long and flat. Everything else in Texas dies by a 270 from my arsenal. Also, lotsa night vision scopes coming out that are affordable...just remember not to try and squeeze out all the light within the eye relief or you will end up with a scope outline on your face like me. Also, the sniper featured in the book "American Sniper" is related to a friend of mine and they do amazing work on some custom rifles. A perfect fit for any job. If Interested I will forward his info via PM.

B
B
Originally Posted By: RAH
There is an old saying - "You cannot miss a bear enough times to kill it" Better to hit with something you can shoot well and easily then to fumble with a more powerful weapon.

I agree with that to a certain extent, but there are times when the extra horsepower really can't be replaced.

When you are taking a charge from any type of large predator, lion, tiger, bear, etc you want enough gun. That .375 H&H that you and your buddies laughed about seems like a good option with 800 pounds of pi$$ed off bear closing the distance between the two of you. In fact, it seems a lot better than the .243 that you brought instead because you enjoyed shooting it.

Practice makes a competent shot with a rifle. You will get used to recoil when you practice with it.

Obviously most pond issues can be solved with any centerfire rifle .22 caliber and above. So, being undergunned really isn't a concern here.

B
B
Oh, and if anyone wants something fun to shoot that absolutely strikes things dead as if they were hit by the hammer of god try the .45-70 in a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun.

I couldn't be happier with mine. I have shot beaver, coyote, white tail, black bear, red fox, ground hogs, wild pigs, a steer, and other various things with it. Never, ever, have I ever recovered a projectile. Never, ever, have I seen anything that I shot with it do more than shiver and pee all over themselves.

I've hit deer and pigs on a dead run broad side and they folded up like a steel chair and just rolled on the ground. When they stopped rolling they were stone dead.

Heavy, cast, solid bullets. The ENTRANCE wound will be about half an inch wide and they penetrate like nobody's business.

I think that it is Garrett Cartridges that advertise that their heavy cast solids in .45-70 will go end to end through any land animal on earth. After shooting one through a 1200 pound steer, through the skull and out one of the hams, I believe it LOL.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Shiver AND pee all over themselves? Now that is impressive! I guess if I was a 150 pound deer getting hit by a 405 gr .45-70 I may do the same... Didn't think Jersey allowed you to have any fun guns these days.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I USED to have a 45-70, a 10 gauge shotgun and a couple of hand cannons that delivered bowling ball sized projectiles. No mas because you cannot get much deader than dead and I don't go bear, rhino or elephant hunting.

Peter Hathaway Capstick discusses, at length, the value of heavy solid bullets when you prefer to eat rather than eaten or squished.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
K
Kiko Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Laid out a groundhog yesterday evening at ~200 yds with a River .270. Sucker dug a hole in a steep bank overlooking the pond.

- Dave
4.5 acre woodland pond constructed Feb 2011
- began fill Aug 25 - full pool Nov 18
- fish stocked Oct 25: 1200 Shellcracker; 3800 bluegill bream; 500 channel catfish
May 2012: 500 LMB May 2012; 50 "permitted" sterile grass carp.

B
B
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Shiver AND pee all over themselves? Now that is impressive! I guess if I was a 150 pound deer getting hit by a 405 gr .45-70 I may do the same... Didn't think Jersey allowed you to have any fun guns these days.

Jersey sucks. That doesn't mean that I can't own cool guns or hunt with them in other states.

Is the .45-70 with heavy cast solids overkill for deer? Yeah. Does it ruin less meat than a 150g Nosler ballistic tip? Yep.

I do a lot of bear hunting and wild pig hunting and I enjoy knowing that whatever is on the business end of my rifle is going to have a half inch wound channel all the way through it. Helps me sleep better LOL.

Plus they're great for disabling vehicles, turning cover into concealment, and for navigating pesky armor.

If you want to see my TRUE it needs to die right away rifle you need look no further than the CZ Safari in .375 H&H magnum. A fine piece of firearm work. I love mine.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: bugsbunny
Oh, and if anyone wants something fun to shoot that absolutely strikes things dead as if they were hit by the hammer of god try the .45-70 in a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun.

I couldn't be happier with mine. I have shot beaver, coyote, white tail, black bear, red fox, ground hogs, wild pigs, a steer, and other various things with it. Never, ever, have I ever recovered a projectile. Never, ever, have I seen anything that I shot with it do more than shiver and pee all over themselves.

I've hit deer and pigs on a dead run broad side and they folded up like a steel chair and just rolled on the ground. When they stopped rolling they were stone dead.

Heavy, cast, solid bullets. The ENTRANCE wound will be about half an inch wide and they penetrate like nobody's business.

I think that it is Garrett Cartridges that advertise that their heavy cast solids in .45-70 will go end to end through any land animal on earth. After shooting one through a 1200 pound steer, through the skull and out one of the hams, I believe it LOL.

I need to look into the .45-70 for PVC Muskrat control.....

My lil ole .40 S&W Ultrastar does just fine (a Chinese knockoff of, and fully interchangeable with, the S&W Tactical .40) If I can't hit anything in 8 shots, I don't need to...

T
T
We have a problem with muskrats in our pond. We have set out a live trap for the past couple of days and nothing has come. We have had parsnips, carrots, and corn in the trap. 1. Were should we be setting it up? 2. Are we doing something wrong or do we need to wait a little bit longer?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I posted some suggestions on the other thread you posted. Muskrats

Whatever you do, do not call on our good friend Rainman Rex as your weapon of choice for muskrats! grin

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Is that 9 MM sweet tea are you applying? smile

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images