Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,987
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
10 members (Boondoggle, Snipe, catscratch, Deancutler, Bobbss, esshup, Swamp_Yankee, FishinRod, Pat Williamson, Steve Clubb), 1,181 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sniper, yes I reload. That's part of wringing out the best accuracy. When a rifle is ordered, it comes with a set of custom dies.

I've a lifetime Personal Protection permit, and while I can legally carry every day, I don't. Maybe stupidity on my part.

If the firearm becomes visible, it's only milli-seconds away from bring used.

A buddy found a fired 9mm case in the alley behind Mom & Dad's house in the city (Chicago) that was stovepiped. Do I feel safe in the neighborhood that I grew up in? No.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
I have twice personnaly been in situations were I thought I was going to have to use a gun. Both times the fact that I had a gun was the only reason things cooled down, and didn't escalate. I also feel very strongly about concealed carry. I go out of my way to avoid all conflicts, but I refuse to be an unarmed victim. 7 years ago my uncle was shot during a robbery at his store 300 yards from my house, and died later. Shot by a 16 yr old kid wanting drug money. The drug epidemic is requiring us to take stronger protective avenues. Like they say "when seconds count, cops are minutes away".

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
K
Kiko Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Nobody's worth me going to jail over - for nothing, to be somebodies B-----. When the adreneline gets pumpin' a firearm is not likely a wise companion. I fiqure if they're armed and I'm not - one of us is LESS lilkely to get shot. I came to terms with this while turkey hunting on my property. Tresspassing punks drew a bead on my turkey decoys where I was immediately downrange - so I shot twice over their heads. Luckily they fled rather than engage in a firefight. Really got me thinking...

- Dave
4.5 acre woodland pond constructed Feb 2011
- began fill Aug 25 - full pool Nov 18
- fish stocked Oct 25: 1200 Shellcracker; 3800 bluegill bream; 500 channel catfish
May 2012: 500 LMB May 2012; 50 "permitted" sterile grass carp.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Having to pull a gun is no fun and given today's world you better be ready to use it also. The people in my post looked like meth heads and were very nervous. The entire event lasted about 4 minutes. The weapon probably should have been displayed earlier to head things off. It was behind my back as I was carrying a sprayer with rotenone. I don't usually carry it on me (stays in the truck) but there had been a pack of wild dogs feeding on dead fish. In the truck would have done no good in this case as these guys were eyeing the truck also. Funny how things work out.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Sniper, yes I reload. That's part of wringing out the best accuracy. When a rifle is ordered, it comes with a set of custom dies.

I've a lifetime Personal Protection permit, and while I can legally carry every day, I don't. Maybe stupidity on my part.

If the firearm becomes visible, it's only milli-seconds away from bring used.

A buddy found a fired 9mm case in the alley behind Mom & Dad's house in the city (Chicago) that was stovepiped. Do I feel safe in the neighborhood that I grew up in? No.

You are funny!!! laugh wink

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: ewest
Having to pull a gun is no fun and given today's world you better be ready to use it also. The people in my post looked like meth heads and were very nervous. The entire event lasted about 4 minutes. The weapon probably should have been displayed earlier to head things off. It was behind my back as I was carrying a sprayer with rotenone. I don't usually carry it on me (stays in the truck) but there had been a pack of wild dogs feeding on dead fish. In the truck would have done no good in this case as these guys were eyeing the truck also. Funny how things work out.

Gettin better Ewest laugh laugh grin crazy wink cool

The end kinda fell off and died! But, hey!!!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
One day last week I saw an unfamiliar pickup turn and head up the lane that goes back to my ponds. There are a couple of houses on this lane that could've been its destination, but I watched it go on by those and disappear over the crest of the hill towards my property. When it hadn't reappeared after a few minutes there was nothing to do except lock up the shop, jump in the truck and head over to take a look. Going to the house and picking up a firearm first, never entered my mind.

When I got over there they were headed back up the hill on their way out, so I just pulled over and waited. Turns out they used to camp there almost 40 years ago, and were just curious about what might have happened to the place since then. They were quite pleasant and apologized over and over again for wandering in. It was no big deal to me.

I've run trespassers off in the past during deer season who were carrying firearms, when I wasn't, and never had any problems. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe things are just different around my part of the country, I don't know.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I am just glad no one did die. I have seen that before and it ruined how the owner felt about the piece of land. He had to sell the property because every time he went there all he thought about was the horrific event.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Most trespassers fishing, or hunting are usually not trying to harm anyone, just trying to be sneaky and enjoy your hardwork. The folks who don't have any reason(hunting/fishing) to be on my property are the ones that bother me. It's not unusal to read about a home invasion/B&E in this area. Three in the past 6 months withing 30 minutes that resulted in shootings. One the other day, man broke in to a house,had a gun, homeowner jumped him, got the gun and killed the intruder. Wasnt like this around here 10 years ago either.

Thomas Edison
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That's what I like about my property. There's only one way in, unless you're walking. No utility right of ways, no logging roads, and no off property trails. The property is not visible from the closest road, which is almost 1/2 mile away. Unless you're flying over in a plane, there are no visible clues as to what lies beyond, and no reason to tempt outsiders.

My issues come from hunters who have walked in from adjoining properties, and I have never had anyone continue to walk the considerable distance necessary to reach the ponds. They seem to stop shortly after crossing the fence, too unwilling to venture further into an area they know they are not supposed to be in.

Just how I like it.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I feel pretty durn safe at my property, and don't have any concerns during the daytime. At night, when the boogeymen come out, that's a different story. It's been a long time since I've heard of any problems locally. I'm more concerned when in areas where there are more people - large cities.

The neighbors here look out for one another too. A few years ago I came back home from a hunting trip out West. I pulled around behind the barn so I'd be closer to the freezer (it was after dark). The neighbors wife saw the headlights go around behind the building, and then turn off. Her husband and his buddy both came over with flashlights and sidearms.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
I like Indiana already!!! Our little town here in NC was like this 30 years ago. Most anybody let you hunt, and fish. Now you have to either buy, or lease to hunt small tracts at best. Everyone looked out for each others interest.

Last edited by spinnerbait; 02/20/12 11:01 PM. Reason: added content

Thomas Edison
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I feel pretty durn safe at my property, and don't have any concerns during the daytime. At night, when the boogeymen come out, that's a different story.

Nothing like the scream of a Barn owl at night to raise the hair on your neck. shocked
Of course I'm not counting big foot.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 02/20/12 11:11 PM.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
I have been dying to use this word. This thread went VIRAL.

D
D
If I was looking to buy a multi-purpose revolver (birdshot and solid projectiles) I'd go wtih the Judge with the longest barrel that I could comfortably carry.

S&W made one to steal the thunder from The Judge called The Governor. If I were to get a 45/410 revolver it would be this one for a couple of reasons. 1) it can shoot .45 ACP with moon clips (which my Taurus 24/7 .45 ACP pro is) and 2) its S&W and the 24/7 left a bad taste in my mouth when the cheap plastic pin holding the slide spring flew apart the first time I took it apart to clean it.

I digress... my weapon of choice if cost is not a concern (and it is for me) would be a .19 calhoon badger. I've wanted one of them for ages (by ages I mean as long as the badger has existed and before that I wanted the .223 necked to .19 version.)

But... since I'm cheap, the .17 HMR is very nice. Cheap gun, cheap ballistic tip rim fire ammo. If you get a .17 make sure you use some ear protection because its not a boom but a high pitched ear piercing crack. I'd rather shoot a 30-06 without ear protection. The gun has very flat trajectory and is quite deadly meaning you don't have to guess as much is that 50, 100, 150, or 200 yards.

Unfortunately at the new property, I will be limited to CB caps.

Last edited by DMRBG; 02/28/12 08:20 PM.
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Yessir, the .17 HMR is a fine round. There is a new .17 out there as well, but I don't have any experience with it.

One firearm we did not mention is the .20 gauge/.223 (long gun). It gives you a nice choice right at the water's edge. I know Savage makes one and I am sure there are others out there.

Last edited by Sniper; 02/28/12 08:23 PM.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Took out a muskrat with a 22 LR last night. Accuracy may be more important than the round.

J
J
I personally like the Ruger 220 Swift.Fast,muzzle velocity 3600fps, flat and 0" drop at 200 yards, at least according to Hornady. Got me a beaver yesterday evening. 60 grain hollow point at 80 yards. Upon carcass examination....WOW!!.Let's just say a pic would have been gross!

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I took 3 deer this year with a Remington 222. All were at approx. 100 yards with a 55 gr reload. I have a couple of closets full of cannons but I really like the little triple deuce at anything less than 175 yds. If over that, the bc clobbers me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
The Rem .222 is a very good round and made better today by modern propellants. It's not your Uncle's .222.

D
D
Originally Posted By: Sniper
The Rem .222 is a very good round and made better today by modern propellants. It's not your Uncle's .222.

Nothing wrong with a old Savage Anschutz or Sako Vixen .222. Both of them are in my top 10 favorite. Never miss.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
DMRBG, that round looks interesting. The only thing that I have against it is that the bullets aren't available from different sources.

If your rifle will stabilize the bullets, look at the Aguilar SSS 60g subsonic .22lr bullets. About the same noise level from a 16" barrel, (yes, a bit more) but a whole lot more punch!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The 222 was developed for the military but never adopted. For about 25 years it ruled the bench rest game until dethroned by the 6mmppc. It's offspring is the 17 rem, 223, 22-250 and others. Although essentially now considered a varmint round, it's accuracy makes it a marginally successful larger game caliber with a reported effective range out to about 250 yards. I won't take a shot with it at more than about 150.

Mine is one of the very early,low serial number, Rem 700's and will digest any load, factory or home brewed, that I use. I actually bought it for my Wife when she wanted to get into hunting with me. Then she gave it to my Grandson when she quit hunting. I bought him a Wby 243 last year so I can now use the deuce whenever I want to. I've used it quite a bit and only lost one deer with it in 20+ years. I can't say that for my 30-06's.

BTW, I did have to send it back to Remington for a new trigger. The reports about it having a dangerous trigger are absolutely true.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Now don't diss the aught 6. smile That's my round of choice. I've shot and killed many deer at long range without losing any. They drop right where they are hit. One has to know the ballistic charts however, with any round. One size doesn't fit all. frown I shot at a coyote last Saturday and wondered why the shot dug up a cloud of dust six inches directly ahead of him. He was upwind lying down and facing me (over 400 yds.) so he didn't hear me. I grinned sheepishly, adjusted my scope and the next shot went thru his left eye. I like the 150 grain ballistic tip bullet. For shorter shots, I use the Nosler Partition bullet.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
One reason I like the 0-6 ( but not as an around the pond all purpose choice) is the number and choice of factory made bullet options. You get that with calibers that are widly used and owned.

Last edited by ewest; 03/01/12 10:47 AM.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!