Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,070
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (DenaTroyer, Freg, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie), 761 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#279305 01/30/12 05:34 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Fishfrank wants to know: What would be the stocking rate for HBG/CC/HSB in a 1/2 acre pond with feeding in a Texas pond?
Stocking of those numbers will also depend on if the pond has aeration. Aeration using bottom diffusers will allow for a few more fish per acre (abt 20%-30%) and improved water quality. Stocked numbers will also depend somewhat on how far the water level goes down in dry periods. Water loss of 3 ft from a 1/2 acre pond can result in less water volume of 300,000-340,000 gallons (maybe 30%-40% of total volume) - a significant amount for now concentrated fish numbers. This results in stressors for fish and the ecosystem. Reduce stocked fish numbers by at least 20% if significant water loss occurs during dry periods.

With feeding and no aeration in 1/2 you could stock 200-300 HBG, 25-35 CC and 25-30 HSB for starters. Those numbers should get things going good. Watch how the fish do for 2 yrs, do some harvest, then restock accordingly based on what you remove. If harvested fish appear plump replace numbers removed plus 10%-15%. If fish are thin bodied and not growing fast, then restocking should be 10%-15% fewer than those harvested. Example: if you harvest 100 HBG then replace with 115 or 85 based on fish plumpness.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/30/12 05:43 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good advise Bill, especially about watching the water level and stocking accordingly. I figure that one has to always plan for minimum water level when stocking, Mother Nature will take care of making more fish for maximum water levels. The pond owner or manager will have to ensure that when water levels drop, that the fish aren't too great in number for the shallower/smaller pond to support.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
Awesome! Thanks alot for the info.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I would not stock HBG in a Texas pond - only pure Florida CNBG.
Over populution of CNBG can be managed with proper numbers of HSB and CC.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
george1 has experience with TX ponds. Consider his advice, do your homework and proceed with caution. One good thing about a 1/2 ac pond is it can be easily renovated during low pool if things are not "going well". Not much time is really lost when starting over in a small pond if restocking is done properly. New fish in a clean pond grow rapidly when lots of food is present.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
F
Why CNBG over HBG?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Jump in you experts - as Bill Cody always says "It Depends" on your goals. Follow his advise above whether CNBG or HBG.

CNBG grow fast, beautiful fish, great sport fish and good table fare and they excel in Texas ponds.

A heads up on HSB - IIRC Huntington is in "deep" E. Texas with acidic Piney Woods soils - HSB require alkaline water and failures have been reported. I would consult with Overton Fisheries at Buffalo about water treatment for optimim HSB fishery.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
It would be a good idea to test the water for alkalinity, total hardness, pH, etc. The lab at TAMU does a routine analysis for $20. http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/files/waterweb1.pdf

Total hardness needs to be at least 20ppm for hybrid stripers. If hardness is low then chlorides need to be in significant concentration to offset (not likely either in your area). May need to lime or add gypsum to improve water quality in Huntington TX.

As for HBG vs CNBG. HBG have a big mouth, grow relatively fast, and are mostly males. They grow to 3/4lb very fast, then growth slows significantly. In most cased they need to be restocked every 3-5 years. CNBG have a small mouth and are pure strain genetics. They will reproduce a lot to feed your other predator fish. They normally don't need to be restocked in ponds. You can grow large 1#+CNBG using a high protein fish food supplement and by having large predators present to control CNBG numbers and promote growth to trophy sizes. We prefer the CNBG.

It's ALL about the fish!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Although HSB can survive in fairly acidic waters that are soft, they will not do well. pH above 6.5 is recommended. The addition of agricultural limestone to the pond and watershed can help raise pH and hardness. Keep in mind HSB are 50% striped bass, a marine species. Marine waters are by nature, hard with high amounts of dissolved minerals. A soil/water test can be done to determine if liming is needed...

I think for a beginner, raising quality HBG is far easier than CNBG. George has years of experience with ponds and that experience translates into the quality fish he grows. However, for a beginner, the challenge of controlling CNBG reproduction may be over their heads. It is this reason that I would recommend HBG over CNBG to most pond owners in this circumstance. I think George has a bias towards CNBG, but the quality fish he gets from Overton Fisheries, that bias is understandable!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I believe HBG are as close to foolproof as it gets when it comes to raising fish. As long as the pro's and con's are understood by the pond owner.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I don't know anything about northern BG vs HBG, but I do know it is relatively simple to grow 1 lb CNBG in 12 months in Texas waters.
IIRC Ewest has reported similar growth rates in southern waters.

F
F
I appreciate all of the great info. I'm going to send a water sample and see what I have. I never even thought it was a possibility to have HSB in a pond that size so I sure hope the sample comes back with good news. The wealth of knowledge you guys have is amazing. I'm pretty much obsessed with this project (so my wife says).

F
F
OK I just thought of a potential fall back plan. Let's say the results of my water sample show that HSB are not a good idea in my area. Could you use blue catfish as the predator for CNBG? In the wild they eat live fish primarily so it seems like in theory they might take care of the smaller bluegill.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Not successfully because of the gape size difference between BCats and HSB. HSB can eat small BG well but not bigger ones while BCats can eat any size BG over time as well as small LMB and HSB. Nothing in a pond is immune to big BCat predation (even a small pet dog). FH Cats are even more of a predator then BCats.

Last edited by ewest; 02/02/12 09:40 PM.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: fishfrank
OK I just thought of a potential fall back plan. Let's say the results of my water sample show that HSB are not a good idea in my area. Could you use blue catfish as the predator for CNBG? In the wild they eat live fish primarily so it seems like in theory they might take care of the smaller bluegill.
I agree with ewest - be VERY careful with BC or even CC.
I have been sucessful with ONE BC in a 1/4 acre pond in controlling numbers of CNBG but she is getting to the size that needs to be removed and replaced.

CC in appropriate numbers can control over population but hard to remove if too many stocked.
"It all depends".

J
J
Originally Posted By: george1
Originally Posted By: fishfrank
I agree with ewest - be VERY careful with BC or even CC.
I have been sucessful with ONE BC in a 1/4 acre pond in controlling numbers of CNBG but she is getting to the size that needs to be removed and replaced.

CC in appropriate numbers can control over population but hard to remove if too many stocked.
"It all depends".

I totally agree with george1 and ewest here. Just look at the size difference in the mouths of a HSB and a BC or CC. At first, they seem like they would being the job you want them to. There are too many cases of CC getting too large for ponds around here. Once they are large, they get extremely hard to remove. Whether is by trot line, fishing, or an another method. Several guys have 10+ lb CC they want out of ponds. The drought got more of them last year than fishing.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I should have addressed the question in full. The best method is to add ag lime , if needed to make the water good enough for HSB. That is not hard to do at all in small waters and is much easier than managing big cats. Now if you want big cats as a goal it can be done and you should go for it but that was not the question.

F
F
OK I have my water test results back and it's not pretty. Lime obviously but how much for 1/2 acre 13 max depth? What else? This is my first rodeo. As a rookie I have decided to forego the HSB for now. I'm want CNBG and CC as food for the table mainly but for fun as well obviously. I'm leaning towards single sex LMB for the CNBG. So how much lime and how do you apply it?

Calcium 2
Magnesium 2
Sodium 18
Potassium 4
Boron 0.06
Carbonate 0
Bicarbonate 0
Sulfate 21
Chloride 16
Nitrate 1.41
Phosphorus 0.12
pH 4.24
Conductivity 88
Hardness 13
Alkalinity 0
Total dissolved salts 65
SAR 2.1
Charge Balance 114

Also FYI suspended clay,muddy water

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails