Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
WoW! 70 degree highs for the next 5 days. Supposed to be 78 next Monday. This is really early. Were lucky if we break into the 60's in March.

JKB #283933 03/13/12 10:54 AM
J
J
Going to be nearly 90 F today and at least 80 F for the next week.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Spring peepers are going at it, the maples are going to be flowering VERY soon.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It was 85 today and they are calling for temps around 80 for the next few days... Wish I could take my boat out and do some fishing! Gotta stay close to shore though. HAHA

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
High 60's here today. Think I'm taking off on Thursday to go fish.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
57F at home today and they are forecasting more of that for the next few days.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
It was 85 today and they are calling for temps around 80 for the next few days... Wish I could take my boat out and do some fishing! Gotta stay close to shore though. HAHA

When's ETA again? wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Today

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Post some pics Travis.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
76 yesterday, the shore was black with minnows. Frogs jumping into the water all around the pond and large tadpoles swimming. Saw five turtles all at the same time. Snails all over the dead cattail leaves laying in the water. Minnows chasing bugs in the water. I'm shaving an old cedar log for bedding for the Wood Duck house and I need to quickly clean out the Tree Swallow houses. Best time I the year I think.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Absolutely beautiful today!!! Temps in the upper 70's with a mild breeze coming off of Lake Michigan. Air smells really clean!

They said on the local news this morning that today would be a record breaker, also, this March would be the 4th warmest in the books since they have been keeping track. Go back to the 1800's! GW? crazy

We'll be all set if a harsh freeze stays away. The fruit trees and other plants are waking up and doing their thing.

I talked to a gal today at a place I was doing some programming. She was actually upset that it was so warm out. She say's "I hate summer, we have had no winter at all, and now it is like summer". Guess she is a bit goofy unless you like it cold and miserable! We can have some serious winters for certain!

I'll take it grin

JKB #284086 03/14/12 05:01 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Two days in a row of 80+ degree weather... WOW! The fish have come alive in the ponds that is for sure! It was amazing seeing all my little babies in the shallows showing off. Lots of showing off by my male killifish.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Model unanimity about the warm weather dominating the next two weeks continues; estimates put average 6-10 day temps nearly 20-degrees above normal

This is probably the earliest and warmest springtime I've ever seen in my 64 years. The ponds are going crazy. Everything seems to be in bloom.

The frogs are having a good time. I've seen lots of them giving "piggy-back" rides to their friends in the pond. They've left lots of pollywog jello in every wet spot on my property. This is two to four weeks earlier than most years.

I've been trying to get the crappie out of my pond ever since we bought this place seven seasons ago.

I took five fat worms out of my worm bin this morning and went to the pond. I got a monstrous male bluegill that went back immediately. I got a about an 8 inch crappie who went into the bottom of a 2-gallon bucket with a little water in it. I also got four nice 8-9 inch bluegill for tonight's dinner. About 8:00 AM, I brought the bucket up to my cleaning station. I threw some ice in it. About five hours later I went to fillet these five fish. The four bluegill were dead, and were easily filleted and skinned. I went to grab the crappie at the bottom of the bucket. He was still alive, laying on his side, and wanted nothing to do with being filleted.

The fish was still so pretty, and it looked so happy, I put it in an aquarium I just pulled out the green house that was used for some plants. The question is, "now what?"

The catfish in the floating cage don't seem to be the least bit fazed, but ...

.... "The Girls" who watched this whole thing may be worried.

Time to finish cleaning the chicken coop.

So, what does springtime look like at your pond??

Ken

P.S. I know that spring has really sprung. I was getting some things in the Wal-Mart garden section yesterday. Several individuals, all of whom topped at least 300 lbs., were in way-too-small tank tops, shorts and flip-flops, and were showing off their tattoos.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ken,

Love your posts. I went out to catch a trifecta and pulled it off easily even though the smallies chewed my jig to shreds and my pole mysteriously snapped from the weight of the bluegill.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/15/12 07:06 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Got to my pond today. Water was pretty cloudy, vis about 12" or so. I transferred a few bluegill and fatheads to a small spring pond on my land. Caught a YP, 8" smallie, and several bullheads. The bullheads are challenging each other to see who can live the longest up on the bank.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I'm going to give it a try this weekend. I've had a couple of buddy's fishing for the last couple of weeks but mainly for the F1's I stocked. They haven't had a hit. I've been busy with the house and it's been raining every weekend so I haven't tried but this weekend, it's all about the outdoors, planting around the house and pond, AND FISHING! Any suggestions on catching the F1's in a real muddy pond?

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Another record day 80°F. Cecil, let me know when you go to sleep and I'll be over fishing. I'll wear my Camo so you just think it's another pile of brush by the pond......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That Bluegill is tremendous. He looks so dis-proportionate, in a very satisfying kind of way. The smaller eye is the icing on the cake.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
The bullheads are challenging each other to see who can live the longest up on the bank.

I'd be extremely cautious if you go back before early July. Bullheads are really tough and they store great amounts of animosity while out of the water. They may be waiting behind the boat shed to attack you! More may be hiding under cable reels in the yard, or near the water. Be very cautious. Don't go there alone, especially in darkness!

In my teenage days, before I learned how to fillet and skin bullheads, I'd just "field dress" them, dredge them in flour, and then fry them. It was always eerie to have them flopping around in a pan of hot grease without their heads or guts.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil -- you really bring out fish envy in your fellow Pond Bosses! The bluegill and perch are incredible.

Scott -- let me know before you sneak over to Cecil's. Get over there soon and make friends with the dog so we can get in and out quietly! I'm ready.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Another record day 80°F. Cecil, let me know when you go to sleep and I'll be over fishing. I'll wear my Camo so you just think it's another pile of brush by the pond......

You kid but one of my taxidermy students used to be quite an outlaw when it came to trespassing on ponds. He said he purposely wore clothes that camoufloged him on the bank, and even painted his fishing pole a certain way. He said he had it to down to such a science the pond owner didn't even know he was there. I'm sure glad he lives a couple of hundred miles away!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/16/12 08:42 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
That Bluegill is tremendous. He looks so dis-proportionate, in a very satisfying kind of way. The smaller eye is the icing on the cake.

Condello genes and I hand feed them daily with hydrated feed which they eat more aggressively than dry feed.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Cecil -- you really bring out fish envy in your fellow Pond Bosses! The bluegill and perch are incredible.

Thanks for the kind words Ken but it sounds like you have some gills that are even more impressive. This bg was only about 9 inches.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Cecil, you know how it takes a little while to get the food thoroughly hydrated? The process goes much faster with a little heat.

During the summer, I hydrate my feed in a ziplock and toss it on the warm concrete deck along my pond. I turn it once after 4-5 minutes, wait a couple more and it's ready. All the water absorbed, and the pellets easily smushed with my fingers. Takes less than 10 minutes.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Lots and lots of these guys crusing the shallows with the warm weather.

Banded killies
male

female

another female

Seems to be 3-4 females for every male.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM