Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (Justin W, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 759 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
esshup #277917 01/15/12 11:59 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
What I really need is a UTV with a front end loader worth a darn. I see Bobcat makes one, and I'm sure it's a super machine, but it's 100% utility without much recreation value [max speed 18 mph].

I think I ought to simply resign myself to buying an old acreage tractor with a front end loader and go for recreation UTV. When I have $15-$20k burning a hole in my pocket I'll do more extensive research again.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That'd be the best route to take. Make sure you have a counterweight on the tractor, or at least filled rear tires if you have a FEL on it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #277926 01/16/12 07:00 AM
Lunker
Lunker
I can a test to the need to fill the rear tires. I have had my tractor on 3 wheels more than I like to remember. Filling the rear tires is on my todo list

lassig #277928 01/16/12 08:07 AM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
wide front too, for sure.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #277935 01/16/12 11:39 AM
T
T
I bought a Rhino a few years ago when i still lived in a neighborhood , but already owned my property that i now reside.
I bought it because it was a good deal and thought that we would get some good use out of it when we did move.
Fast forward to last year , and we found out rather quickly that we could not live without it. We use about 7 of our 10 acres, with pond.
I bought the rhino from a guy that flipped it , and it had been sitting for 2 or three years. WHen it flipped it caused all of the oil to run out and it needed a rebuild. But we got it running and used it quite a bit , knowing it was down on power.
I came across a great deal on a 2010 ranger 800 , and after driving it one time , knew i had to have it. Even after reading all of the rhino forums about how much better the rhinos were , still i knew i had to have one.
We bought the polaris , and so far so good . It is stronger than you can imagine, and faster than it should be (bounces off the rev limiter at 58).
I do think that yamaha is a little better built machine , but I am totally happy with the Polaris.
THe fuel injection is definately worth the money. You do not realize how cold natured the carbed models are until you have one. They are definately still useable ,and much better than nothing at all , but i say spend the extra and get the FI.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
We have a Polarius Ranger 500 and, based upon my personal experience, I wouldn't recommend it. We have had several electrical issues with the Ranger including having the engine control module die while we were in the middle of mowing our property (we mow about 7 acres). The Ranger dealer told us that the engine control modules and ignition switch are a weakness in the Ranger. The ignition switch is an easy fix but the engine control module is a dealer repair item and it cost us several hundred dollars.

Here's my take on UTVs:
Get one with a normal sized dumping bed - they are very useful.
Get a 4wd. Although our Ranger is under powered (IMHO) because it is a 500, with the low gears and 4wd it will go almost anywhere - as long as you are not in a hurry to get there.
Get the largest engine you can afford, it will drink some more gas but the power is worth it.

We use our UTV as a work horse. We tow a Swisher Rough Cut field mower over some fairly steep terrain, use it to haul brush, use it to spray the road, haul our little alum boat around, etc.

It works okay, even though it is underpowered, although as mentioned we have had some reliability issues which is not what you want in a UTV. Having the darn thing die while mowing the fields is not fun.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
So far I have 2 utv's on my possible list that meet my requirements of price, around $10,000, power(cause I'm gonna be plowing snow), max width 60", min. ground clearance 10", F.I., dump box & bang for the buck.
1. Kawasaki Teryx 750FI
2. ODES 800 Dominator

I'm still looking for input and suggestions on other models.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Definitely keep lookin' AP, but I would lean pretty heavy towards the Kaw....

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a couple of relatively trouble free 400CC Yamaha ATV's. They are 10 years old. I also have a 38HP John Deere with 4WD and FEL. I bought all of them new because I wanted stuff to work with and not on. I probably have about $40,000 invested and wouldn't change a thing. My place is heavily wooded. The tractor is my back saving work horse and the ATV's are our transportation. I seldom mess with my pickup around the place. I also have a small trailer that I hook up behind an ATV when I don't want to mess with a tractor. I can haul just about anything in the trailer and no problem pulling it.

For just riding around, a 250cc ATV will do 99% of what most of us will ever need.

One of my neighbors is a UTV/ATV dealer. after years of borrowing my tractor, he recently bought a used 25HP Kubota. As he put it, UTV's are great for riding around and hauling chain saws, small amounts of firewood and other stuff until you need a work horse to move rocks, downed trees and actually move stuff out of the way. Then you need a FEL. BTW, a FEL without 4wd is pretty useless.

I figure these things will outlive me. In 10 years, I've had to replace the ATV tires once and have no problems with the tractor. Of course, everything has to be maintained and batteries last less time than anything.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 01/17/12 05:45 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Yeah Dave I know what you mean about having a tractor with FEL, I had a diesel tractor 4x4 with locking rear and 5ft bucket, but I pretty much got everything done around the property where I could drive it, the rest of the acreage is too steep, rocky or uneven to safely use it so I sold it.
Now I just want something to get around and get firewood, plow, and use for recreation, my old atv isn't very useful for much except recreation.
I also look at a UTV as my future all terrain wheelchair when I get old. grin
Does your trailer have those large tires so it's easier to pull over rough ground?

D
D
Go test drive all of them. I have friends that love there Rhino's. But me personally, I wouldnt have anything but a ranger. Im on my second one, I got the 800 with power steering and it is great. It works hard on my 100 acres, but it still knows how to play when its time. 8 years ago or so i was torn between a rhino and a ranger so went and drove both of them. i was sold on the ranger at the time because it rides so much smoother and i can put my daughters car seat in the middle of the bench right beside me and take her for a ride. Good Luck

R
R&R Offline
R
One more opinion for ya. We are currently using a Bobcat, John Deere and Kaw. on a costruction site. Also just about every other brand is here being used by the other trades.(which we all share of coarse) "My" pick Bobcat.

"If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time"

Zig Ziglar
R&R #278009 01/17/12 02:24 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
AP, the trailer is a small box trailer; about 3.5 by 5 ft with 14 inch tires. I think I paid about $150 for it used.

If you are thinking about light plowing you might want to go to UTV/ATV forum and ask some of those guys. They sell plows for them but I have heard that they just don't cut it for that. It would take a pretty good tranny and rear end to do much without possibly damaging it. Heck, if you occasionally need to plow, I would just rent a small tractor or pay someone to do that. I only put about 50 hours per year on mine and it's usually in 15 minute increments.

You know, that mobile wheelchair has got me thinking.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
esshup #278016 01/17/12 03:18 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
We bought a RZR a few years ago. Yes it is a hot rod out of the box but is is also a nice work horse when properly equiped. I designed a rack for ours to make it more of a work horse. I use it for all kinds of task around our place. However we still have a kubota Tractor for bigger jobs so if you are buying one to do the jobs a small tractor will do then you need one of the bigger models. What sold me on the rzr was its comfort compared to the rest. It is harder to get into and out of but once you are strapped in you feel like your driving in a race car and not a school bus. We wanted it for both work and play so or decision was easier. The bigger models are not allowed on some trails in the mountains so the RZR was it for us.

Last edited by rockytopper; 01/17/12 03:21 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: David Connor
i was sold on the ranger at the time because it rides so much smoother and i can put my daughters car seat in the middle of the bench right beside me and take her for a ride. Good Luck

Dave the bench seat is great for being able to fit another person in, but the drawback is more sliding around in rough terrain, I like the Ranger 800 but it's out of my price range.

Originally Posted By: R&R
One more opinion for ya. We are currently using a Bobcat, John Deere and Kaw. on a costruction site. Also just about every other brand is here being used by the other trades.(which we all share of coarse) "My" pick Bobcat.

I agree the Bobcat is built like a tank but also beyond my price range.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Heck, if you occasionally need to plow, I would just rent a small tractor or pay someone to do that. I only put about 50 hours per year on mine and it's usually in 15 minute increments.

Dave I have a guy who plows my cabin, with an 800ft. driveway and with an average 250" of snow a winter I wouldn't even try to plow it with a UTV, I would bring it back home for the winter where I only have a 70ft. driveway. Many people here have ATV's to do their driveways and works ok if they don't let it pile up too much. Most of the time I use my snowblower, and if we get a big storm I have someone plow.
I like the idea of a small trailer, I've seen them with bigger wheels at Tractor Supply.

Originally Posted By: rockytopper
We bought a RZR a few years ago. Yes it is a hot rod out of the box but is is also a nice work horse when properly equiped. I designed a rack for ours to make it more of a work horse. I use it for all kinds of task around our place.

The RZR is a neat UTV and that rack you have is a great Idea, but I really want a dump bed and will also be putting a bench seat in the bed for the grand kids, seat belts, rollbar,and helmets included.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I've owned both a trans mule with and without fi and power steering. In your cold climate don't settle for a carbed model. Low idle, carbs, and cold are a very bad combination. The trans mule is great for hauling the family. It's big but not too big.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I can't even think in terms of 20 ft of snow per year. Heck, we often don't even get 20 inches of rain per year. Things with carbs do just fine down South.

The stuff at Tractor Supply doesn't impress me. I find it to be pretty flimsy. I usually look on Craigs List for that kind of stuff.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Dave I know what you mean about some stuff at Tractor supply, but they do have one tough looking trailer, it's poly bed is what I would want, I have a poly garden cart and it's indestructible.
This looks like a pretty good deal, it's not too big to get around in tight places and has a swiveling dump bed with a 12" ground clearance.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/ohio-steel-professional-grade-12-5-cu-ft-swivel-dump-cart-1027885

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Northern Tool or Northern Hydraulics has a parge poly dump trailer too. Option for 1 or 2 axles, and sides for the trailer above the tub.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #278215 01/20/12 07:50 AM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: esshup
Northern Tool or Northern Hydraulics has a parge poly dump trailer too. Option for 1 or 2 axles, and sides for the trailer above the tub.

Yeah Scot the one in Northern tool is the same Ohio Steel trailer that Tractor Supply has, but with shipping it costs more.

Here's one of the UTV's I'm considering, an ODES Dominator, Need to do test drives on different models.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 01/20/12 07:59 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Once in a while they run a special "no shipping costs" sale.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #278223 01/20/12 08:22 AM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I found out yesterday that a friend of mine bought one of these Kiote's last fall, it's got a 3 cyl. diesel and the New Holland dealer has some good deals. I'm gonna test drive his first.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Have you read this thread? 800

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #278228 01/20/12 08:37 AM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Yeah, I'm a member of Rhinoclones, just waiting to see how this model pans out, it's an upgraded version of the ODES 800.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That ODES doesn't look much like a future motorized wheelchair.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images