Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#277815 01/15/12 07:51 AM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Guys I'm planning on getting a UTV this spring and have been researching what's available for 3 years, I would appreciate any and all info good or bad on any brands that you own or have experience with, the main use will be utility but also recreation, thanks.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I work on quite a few different brands, so I've seen just about every end of the spectrum. There are some light duty "offshore" versions available at big box home stores, parts availability can be an issue with those, and I have seen some drivetrain problems, probably caused by folks overloading them, as they are not as robust as the name brand models.

Hands down, the best built one I have dealt with personally would have to be the Kubotas. Three cylinder diesels, integrated automatic transaxles, (vs. the belt drive used on a lot of models),a host of options and accessories, and just plain built to last. Very rugged.

Personally, I own an older Kawasaki Mule, and I love it. 2 cylinder liquid cooled,4WD, high/low range, and locking differentials... it is as surefooted as a mountain goat, and works hard for me whenever I need it. I have a 6' snow blade for the front for winter chores, and a winch for warm weather activities. (cutting firewood, pulling logs) I use it to remove and install my floating dock, and I built a custom boat trailer to haul my 2-man plastic boat back and forth to my ponds. Is it as heavy as the Kubota? No.

I would recommend sticking with a known brand, whatever you decide.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Buddies got a Polaris ranger 800 loves it

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I have a 4-seater Mule that can go to two seats and get an expanded bed.

No problems or dissatisfactions with it, but it's not fast.

Some of those other UTVs can really haul a$$.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Thanks for your input sprkplug, I know someone with a kubota and yeah it's built like a tank but out of my price range, the mule is great but I need more ground clearance, very rocky and uneven ground here.
Here's some of the things I would like to have, min. 10" GC, dump bed, 4x4 with Locking diff., FI nice but Carb. ok, doors, windshield, and roof.
Do you have any experience with the ODES utv, they appear to make a strong reliable machine, especially the ODES Dominator.

B
B
I agree with sprkplug "I would recommend sticking with a known brand, whatever you decide".
I own two Polaris Rangers, both are daily drivers and used for 90% utility and 10% pleasure. Very pleased with both.

Don't Analyze Your Pleasures!!!
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Thanks for your input sprkplug, I know someone with a kubota and yeah it's built like a tank but out of my price range, the mule is great but I need more ground clearance, very rocky and uneven ground here.
Here's some of the things I would like to have, min. 10" GC, dump bed, 4x4 with Locking diff., FI nice but Carb. ok, doors, windshield, and roof.
Do you have any experience with the ODES utv, they appear to make a strong reliable machine, especially the ODES Dominator.

My Mule meets all those criteria except the doors. I put a lift kit and custom wheels and tires on mine. Serious ground clearance and pretty much unstoppable if you avoid the real idiot moves.

I thought about trading for one of the fast ones, but after looking around I decided that the utility was more important (to me) than the speed.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
We went through the same decision process several years ago. It is like the big LMB or big BG decision. Do you want utility or sport or something in between. The Kubotas, John Deeres, Rangers, and Hondas are pretty far towards the utility. The Razors and couple others are pretty far toward the sport. We went with the Rhino as a compromise. I'm not a big fan of the speed delimiter and it is definitely a compromise; but it was probably the best one at the time for us. Considering the same thing today, we'd probably go with the Cam Am Commander.

http://www.utvguide.net/can_am_commander_1000.htm

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Yeah I'm not looking for a hot rod, a tough, reliable machine is the main thing, of course keeping the price down is always a plus.

Keep the suggestions and experiences coming, thanx.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Friz bought a side by side in 2011, I know he did a LOT of research before buying. I hope he sees this thread. He blames me for having to buy one. grin

AP, what will be your intended uses for it? Fun, utility? What do you expect the machine to do for you?

I also agree with sticking with a known brand. I don't know if you are the type of person who buys a vehicle/piece of equipment and keeps it until it's useful life is gone, or upgrade/change every few years. The known brand will probably save you $$ in the long run re: parts availability and longevity.

Last edited by esshup; 01/15/12 10:54 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
In my case, a compact utilty tractor offered greater utility with all of the carrying capacity of an UTV. No cab though.

RAH #277840 01/15/12 11:11 AM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I sold my compact tractor so I could buy a UTV, my acreage is mostly too steep to safely use the tractor, especially to get to the back of the property.

My needs are mostly for utility but also for some fun on the trails, can't do much with my old Suzuki ATV.

From the info I've seen even the name brands have issues, it's a matter of finding the most bullit proof machine, with the most bang for the buck. wink

RAH #277841 01/15/12 11:11 AM
R
R
I've had a Yamaha Rhino for about 4 years now and love it (a 660 I think). I didn't do much research. I also beat the snot out of it skidding logs. I run chains on the rear tires year round. Bought a plow for it last year. That being said, I can see a back hoe / front end loader in my future :-) I've got 72 acres (plus the renovated pond) and the Rhino won't cut it when it comes to moving dirt.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I own the following two side-by-sides:

Kubota 1100 & Polaris RZR 800 EPS

Both are great machines in their own right.

If I need to work or if the weather is extreme, the Kubota 1100 is, hands down, the side-by-side of choice. (Factory-installed cabin, heat/AC …) As others have said before, it is the closest thing to a tank you can get as a side-by-side.

If I want to have fun or just cruise around, the Polaris RZR 800 EPS is, hands down, the side-by-side of choice. (Factory-installed power steering, 55 hp eager engine, just 50 inches wide …) It has fast & fun written all over it.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
FRIZ
P.S.: And as a rule, it is always ESSHUP’s fault.

rt014 #277847 01/15/12 12:01 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The fuel injection is VERY nice, especially on a belt drive, or variable displacement torque converter, if you prefer. The carb models are extremely cold-natured. When you couple that with a very low idle speed, necessary for complete disengagement of a belt drive, then you can get a severe off idle stumble as the carb transitions off the idle circuit into the main. Increasing the idle speed will help, but then the belt drive doesn't want to disengage enough for smooth shifting, and there is a tendency to pull through the brakes.

Having fuel injection really makes for a better cold weather experience. I guess it comes down to spending more money for FI, or spending more time letting a carb equipped engine warm up.

AP, I haven't yet put a wrench to anything by ODES, although I looked at some at a trade show last fall. I believe they are a Chinese company, not saying that's good or bad, only restating my primary concern... parts and service availability. Make sure and put those two things right up at the top of your list of requirements.

The best machine out there will eventually require repair, and having a dealer, or at least a parts source close at hand, will make paying a little more now well worth it when that time comes.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
FRIZ #277849 01/15/12 12:16 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FRIZ
P.S.: And as a rule, it is always ESSHUP’s fault.

laugh

Just wait and see what you have to do after I take you and the family to the Sporting Clays range! wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Dwight #277850 01/15/12 12:19 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Dwight
[quote=adirondack pond]Thanks for your input sprk quote]

My Mule meets all those criteria except the doors. I put a lift kit and custom wheels and tires on mine. Serious ground clearance and pretty much unstoppable if you avoid the real idiot moves.

I thought about trading for one of the fast ones, but after looking around I decided that the utility was more important (to me) than the speed.

I'm with Dwight with the Mule - no doors needed in Texas... grin
Mules are for work - not for speed ,,,

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

esshup #277851 01/15/12 12:24 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My 2-up machine has a carb., and I've been on the F.I. machines. (I have a Bombardier Traxter Max) If I had my choices, I would NOT go with a carb. for the usage that I get from mine. Cold blooded is 110% correct. I can't fire it up and just putt around. When I stop, it dies unless I pull out on the choke. Then, because the idle is higher, I can't shift from N to D without pushing the choke off.

A friend has a machine that is belt driven. He has burned thru a couple of belts planting his food plots. Mine is shaft driven, and I haven't had any problems.

One thing that concerns me about mine, is that the engine oil also lubricates the transmission......... I've never seen that before. But, I guess that if I keep the oil changed, then there shouldn't be any problems. The other downside is that the closest dealer is in Mi., a good 45 miles one way. (for oil and filters)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #277852 01/15/12 12:42 PM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Yeah FI is the best way to go but I can live with a carb, my big yamaha sled has 3 carbs and runs great, even my two 15 year old polaris's still run great, but FI would definitly be preferred in crispy weather, 18 below this morning with a high maybe of 3.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 01/15/12 12:54 PM.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
AP,

Have you thought about going with a small SUV like a Suzuki Samurai or something similar? My dad sold our Rhino and bought a Samurai.

The price of a used Samurai will be half the cost of a new UTV, street legal, and is only about a foot wider than a Kawasaki Mule.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
AP,

Have you thought about going with a small SUV like a Suzuki Samurai or something similar? My dad sold our Rhino and bought a Samurai.

That would be an option but my trails are narrow and heavily wooded, and I really don't want to buy used. Thanks for the suggestion though, probably great for people with more open land like you guys in Texas.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I have researched these for the last three years [talking to mechanics, posting on forums, etc.]looking for a combination of utility/power and performance - here's the models I narrowed it down to:

Kuboda - workhorse most dependable

Kaw Mule - also workhorse

Honda MUV - blend of fun and work

I think Can Am makes the best ATVs and I'll bet their UTV is amazing, too. I was told to keep away from Polaris, as their ATVs routinely have issues, yet read reviews and most are very favorable on the Ranger series, so I don't know what to believe.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I have researched these for the last three years [talking to mechanics, posting on forums, etc.]looking for a combination of utility/power and performance - here's the models I narrowed it down to:

Kuboda - workhorse most dependable

Kaw Mule - also workhorse

Honda MUV - blend of fun and work

I think Can Am makes the best ATVs and I'll bet their UTV is amazing, too. I was told to keep away from Polaris, as their ATVs routinely have issues, yet read reviews and most are very favorable on the Ranger series, so I don't know what to believe.

3 years is a long time looking. Money is for spending.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #277874 01/15/12 02:41 PM
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
I have a 2008 Ranger Xp. I bought it because of the bench seat. I can get in it from either side and it holds the wife and 2 kids(under 5 yrs old).

It also had the best clearance,pulling and load capacities of its time.

Only problem I had was a broken piece in the front differential.You can replace it yourself if you can change the oil in a car/truck and its $100. Its from getting stuck in deep snow in 4 way lockup and 1 wheel grabs. I have put it through alot and it has happened but don't really blame the machine.
They make an aluminium replacement to avoid this breaking.

I have never blown a belt and have done lots fo pulling work.

Very very happy with the ranger and it goes 50mph.

P.S
1 down side might be its 60 inches wide. Its very stable though and I have seen a arctic cat flip for no real good reason.

Last edited by blair5002; 01/15/12 02:45 PM.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ, with all the improvements they've been doing, you are going to have to start your research all over again after 3 years!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images