Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic), 843 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
I know this forum is not about finding jobs but I would like to work at a pond management service in the summer to get more experience. I read alot about pond management and raising fish(I read alot of SRAC fact sheets). I am just a high school student wanting to learn about this field of work. Is there was any pond management service in NC that would let me come observe jobs. I would like to get a degree in Fisheries Science when I go to college.

Take someone new fishing at your pond. They'll be hooked forever.
1 acre LMB/HBG/BG pond
R
R
Can't give you much of an answer but I've heard that Texas A&M has a top notch fisheries program.

W
W
Contact Johnny Foster @ Foster Lake & Pond Mgt, he may be able to help you. If you were in SC you could join us in some field work. Auburn, MS State, TX A&M, all have great fisheries programs. NC State's program is also growing and doing well. I'm partial to Auburn. Good luck!

www.qualitylakes.com

"If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges, and Governors, shall all become wolves."
- Thomas Jefferson 1787
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Contact the NC fish and game. They will often have unpaid internships available. I often help out with the VA Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries. They often are in need of man power and will gladly take free help. I really enjoy helping them with electroshocking. You could also check with several fish hatcheries in the state. They may need extra summer help...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Electroshocking is for the kid in all of us. I think I would probably pay just to handle the net.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Electroshocking is for the kid in all of us. I think I would probably pay just to handle the net.

I got to do that with Blaine at PBIV. I would pay to do it again. grin

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bluegill Fever
I am just a high school student wanting to learn about this field of work.
I applaud you for this Bluegill Fever. Interning is a great way to learn about a career field.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Electroshocking is for the kid in all of us.

Way back when I was a kid, my best friend's family owned the local rural telephone company. When they replaced the old wall-hanging crank telephones with "modern" phones (a heavy handset and something that looked like the next "more-modern" phone series -- but without a dial), the old oak cabinets and magnetos filled a small warehouse. As kids we had access to many hundreds of the old crank magnetos. We also had access to unlimited grounding rods and wire of all sizes and kinds.

Not only did we get our fishing night crawlers by putting two ground rods in the ground, and hooking them to one of the old phone magnetos -- but, we played a game that strengthened our hearts. We'd form circles of kids holding hands. The kids at the end of the circle would hold wires connected to the magneto, while one kid would crank the magneto. The first kid to let loose of the circle was the first looser, the second kid was the second looser, etc., until we got to the last kid.

I guess it is no wonder why I have heart arrhythmia. crazy

So, with all that aside -- volunteering as an intern is an incredible experience. I've done it. I always have several interns working for me, and have for many years. We've also always paid our interns a fair wage. I've used them from high school through graduate school. In high school, you should be able to get graduation credits for interning.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Not sure your age but welcome to come stay with us for a couple of weeks. We have internships avaialble. In this case you could help out around here and get in some shocktime. spring/fall best but we still hit our metro ATL lakes in the summer. I have a downstaris bedroom just for interns.

Love the passion and interest this early in life, keep it up. Wish I could endorse my alum mater but unless you want to study mussels or stream fishes best to not attend UGA.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
R
Hey, don't knock them there Dawgs! (National Champs-1980!)

J
J
Most internships are paid now. But the employer does not have to pay you for the experience. But I have only heard of a few that are not paid anymore.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Lots of internships are unpaid in this economy. They use to be paid.

If I were picking a school to study fisheries it would be SDSU. After that there are some other good ones - Miss State , Auburn , TXAM , NC State and others.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the imputs! I have now found a fish hatchery close to my town that I can go work at in the summer.

Take someone new fishing at your pond. They'll be hooked forever.
1 acre LMB/HBG/BG pond

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images