Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 702 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2637 04/17/07 04:56 PM
L
Lagrue Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am thinking about having a pond condtructed here. I would like to get atleast 10-12 acres here if I can. The property is 200 acres,This topo doesnt include the entire poperty,but it includes most of the draw that the pond would be in. I dont know what I was doing wrong, but I coulnt get the pic any larger. What do you guys think about this location? I know that there is alot you cant tell from the photo. Just looking for some thought here. Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The location looks fine, but there are a lot of unknowns that are more important. Soil types, total watershed, etc. Have you had a contractor look at it? Are there other ponds in the neighborhood that adequately hold water? Are nearby ponds generally clear?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
L
Lagrue Offline OP
OP Offline
L
No I havent had a contractor out yet. I am going to talk to the NRCS first to asses my potential here. It is a GEPP soil series. It is a poor soil for growing anything but hardwood trees or maybe fescue pastures. I has quite abit of clay and doesnt perc verywell. Most of the ponds are clear if they dont have cattle using them. They seem to hold water well. I am concerned that The soil does have alot of limestone rock in it. most of them small. Bedrock is 6ft deep or deep in most places according to the soil survey book. That is a pretty big season creek running thru that draw, but it will dry up late summer.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well, as you may know, your ability to have a 10-12 acre pond is dependant on the following factors.

1. Economics factors, primarily dam building, that are influenced by the width of the area to be dammed.

2. Annual rainful (How much do you get?)

3. Slopes in watershed, which dictates the rapidity of filling in a rain event, i.e. if you have flatter topography, the water has more time to seep into the ground.

4. Types of soils throughout the entire watershed, which will control how quickly the ground absorbs the rainfall.

5. Soil type in the pond basin, which affects seepage.

Your local NRCS will be able to do some relatively simple computations that will tell you what is an appropriate sized pond for that particular location.

Obviously you want adequate amounts of water--but you can also get too much, neccesitating large costs in overflow construction.

I'd already start collecting soils from eroded areas in the watershed to see if they settle out in a "jar test".

L
Lagrue Offline OP
OP Offline
L
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
Well, as you may know, your ability to have a 10-12 acre pond is dependant on the following factors.

1. Economics factors, primarily dam building, that are influenced by the width of the area to be dammed.

2. Annual rainful (How much do you get?)

3. Slopes in watershed, which dictates the rapidity of filling in a rain event, i.e. if you have flatter topography, the water has more time to seep into the ground.

4. Types of soils throughout the entire watershed, which will control how quickly the ground absorbs the rainfall.

5. Soil type in the pond basin, which affects seepage.

Your local NRCS will be able to do some relatively simple computations that will tell you what is an appropriate sized pond for that particular location.

Obviously you want adequate amounts of water--but you can also get too much, neccesitating large costs in overflow construction.

I'd already start collecting soils from eroded areas in the watershed to see if they settle out in a "jar test".
1 Economics will def be a large factor. The area to be dammed will not be to long due to the narrow bottom between slopes. The pond will have to be a long narrow pond.

2 annual rainfall is roughly 50"

3 slopes in the watershed are very steep.

The soil type is pretty much the same thru out the water shed it does of a lot of clay, but the basin is very rocky.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sounds encouraging. I really like the long, narrower ponds.

You absolutely, positively need to buy Bob Lusk's new book on pond construction. I've read it myself and it's a masterpiece. Likely the best book ever written on the subject. And believe me...it is a cheap investment in relation to what you're about to undertake.

L
Lagrue Offline OP
OP Offline
L
will do thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Those are some mean slopes. I would love to see the surrounding topo to get the big picture of the drainage feeding the seasonal creek. I'll bet it cranks during a decent rain.
I looked at a similar topo in NW Illinois on a smaller 40 ac pc. It was two draws that came together within the parcel, then ran off as a seasonal creek to the adjoining property. Very similar slopes; about 80 - 100 ft fall from the crest to the bottoms. In my case, the pond would have been very narrow within the draws with a somewhat larger body of water at the confluence. In your case, it appears that you have the same issues except it is on a much larger scale. I like it. To build a walk-out basement low enough in the crotch of the 2 draws would be a good series for HGTV dream home, but if it could be pulled off....WOW! The obvious upside is a small dam in exchange for nice surface area. If I was still shopping and I came across this as an affordable parcel, the cooler would be packed and the hiking boots would be in the trunk with the compass and camera.
How far away is the nearest access road?

L
Lagrue Offline OP
OP Offline
L
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
Those are some mean slopes. I would love to see the surrounding topo to get the big picture of the drainage feeding the seasonal creek. I'll bet it cranks during a decent rain.
I looked at a similar topo in NW Illinois on a smaller 40 ac pc. It was two draws that came together within the parcel, then ran off as a seasonal creek to the adjoining property. Very similar slopes; about 80 - 100 ft fall from the crest to the bottoms. In my case, the pond would have been very narrow within the draws with a somewhat larger body of water at the confluence. In your case, it appears that you have the same issues except it is on a much larger scale. I like it. To build a walk-out basement low enough in the crotch of the 2 draws would be a good series for HGTV dream home, but if it could be pulled off....WOW! The obvious upside is a small dam in exchange for nice surface area. If I was still shopping and I came across this as an affordable parcel, the cooler would be packed and the hiking boots would be in the trunk with the compass and camera.
How far away is the nearest access road?
I wish I knew how to get a larger view of the topo on here. It is 200 acres and that creek gets crazy after a big rain. I have a 200 ft easement across someone else to get to a county rd. Other than that there is just 4-wheeler trails around the property right now.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Lagrue, if you would like some help with posting images I would be happy to help you over the phone. I'm working at home for now so I'm always near the computer. I could teach you real fast if you can talk on the phone while you're on line. Email or PM me if you'd like and I'll send you my number.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!