Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,160
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
8 members (Brian from Texas, Freunb02, nvcdl, DrewSh, Pat Williamson, anthropic, bmicek, tim k), 1,206 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#26153 03/26/07 12:21 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D.I.E.D., I marked up my AquaVu camera cable for depth.

ewest, there's an output jack on the viewing console, and that's where I believe you can hook up a camera or video recording device. I'll have a look at mine and see what's up. BTW, I've never done that yet (take photos or video with the Aqua-Vu).

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

#26154 03/26/07 02:40 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
aint hand feeding a kick bob? every evening they're eagerly waiting in the same place, you chuck a handful in, and the water boils....i love it. they know when i have some worm chunks for them cause i get close to shore, they suspend right in front of me anxiously waiting and wagging their tails like little dogs, it cracks me up. i suspect yer BG will indeed soon snap out of it.

nice sig. sunil \:D

i didnt notice markings on my cable but will look closer.

i read the manual about capturing video, mine has the output jack, but i dont own a camcorder. maybe i could figure a way out to connect our nikon digital camera?? you bet ewest, if i figure something out i'll be sharing here. i think jeff has the right stuff, he mentioned something about getting videos later this year.

funny you mention the pole....as we were viewing the BG school near boat, i said to my wife what we need here is a camera boom...i have one of those tablock extenders for painting, i may try to rig something up with that, in a way that i can use it horizontally and still pay out the cable to change depths, and also use it vertically to help control camera direction. i noticed it was really hard to tell which direction the camera was facing and to keep it from swinging around. the camera came with lead/steel ballasts and a fin, but i didnt put those on.

GSF are people too!

#26155 03/27/07 10:33 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
i think jeff has the right stuff, he mentioned something about getting videos later this year.
Yep, my wife pretty much set me up for my birthday. I have an Aqua Vu that records depth and water temp. It only records B & W not color though...everything will be in grey scale.

The extending pole is available for $29.00, is designed to attached directly to the camera and extends to 13 feet.

Quote:
Posted by ewest:
I would like to learn how to do that. Can you figure it out and tell me how ?
Some video recorders have a connector and using the right cable between the Aqua Vu and the video recorder you can record video from the Aqua Vu directly into your video recorder. Basically you must have a video recorder that has the correct port (I think it's a 5 pin port) and the correct cable.

Or another alternative, the one I am using, is that Aqua Vu sells digital recorder that is available for $99.00. It records 15 minutes of video on internal memory or onto a memory chip. You can purchase media chips (available for about $20~$25 that will record hours of video) to extend the length of video that you record. The digital recorder has an "out" cable that will connect directly to your TV and then you can play the recorded video on your TV. Or with a media reader connected to a USB port in your computer (approx $15.00) you can put the memory chip into the media reader and download the video to your computer.

My wife did tons of research and found that the best source for both the pole extender and the digital recorder was this place. They had the best price, were very friendly and it shipped quickly...

Aqua Vu accessories

I plan on taking lots of video of my pond this year. Since I purchased my property with the pond already in existence I don't know what the bottom contour or structure is like in the deep end of the pond (approx 17 feet). I have swam down to the bottom once but wouldn't do it again - once you get down to about 12 feet ya can't see anything and because of the mountain springs feeding the pond the water is COLD (even in summer).

I'll get some video captured and posted this year.

We'll get the rig over to your place also Dave so we can get video in your pond. I have a feeling that with your feeding regiment you are gonna have some big BGs later this year.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
#26156 03/27/07 08:00 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
good link jeff, thanks.

our rainbucket measured a cold 1.9 inches of rain here yesterday (in a about 2 hours!!) and some minor thunderstorms this afternoon, so our ponds got a nice shot of fresh water.

that brings me up to 23-inches on wet season which is still only about 60% of normal for our elevation.

GSF are people too!

#26157 03/27/07 09:03 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Jeff thanks for the info. Once you get it down I will need a few lessons. With no light penetration into the water below a few feet color is not important.

#26158 03/28/07 10:23 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
our rainbucket measured a cold 1.9 inches of rain here yesterday (in a about 2 hours!!) and some minor thunderstorms this afternoon, so our ponds got a nice shot of fresh water.
I've been watching that storm and wondering how it was going up there. I wonder how much the introduction of cold rain affects pond water temp? Of course I am assuming that it will drop the pond water temp but by how much? Will this delay spawning?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
#26159 03/28/07 10:31 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Jeff thanks for the info. Once you get it down I will need a few lessons. With no light penetration into the water below a few feet color is not important.
Once I have some video I'll post a thread that will link to my photobucket account that will contain video clips. I will also post what equipment I used and how I used it. We have software that we use to import and edit video and I'll post about that also. With the software you can capture a single frame of video for a still image.

The Aqua Vu that my wife got me does have little lights on the fish/camera but I'm sure not enough to properly illuminate fish to show color. That plus the added cost of color was the reason for B&W.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

#26160 03/28/07 10:58 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes red and green IR lights no color. They also work great for sticking in beaver holes (via the pole) to see what is there. Just don't stand right in front of the hole as they escape. Big teeth and claws propelled by 30 pounds of attitude are not a thing to trifle with.

#26161 03/29/07 09:55 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Yes red and green IR lights no color. They also work great for sticking in beaver holes (via the pole) to see what is there. Just don't stand right in front of the hole as they escape. Big teeth and claws propelled by 30 pounds of attitude are not a thing to trifle with.
:D \:D \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

#26162 03/29/07 11:38 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
ewests warning on beavers prompted me to research if the aqua vu co. has developed an RES camera guard, i couldnt locate one on the net, jeff, we'll probably have to manufacture one \:D

jeff, our recent cold snap is probably just a blip on the radar, temporarily cooling surface water, but probably not affecting spawning time, its jumping back up into 70's today, and according to local forecasts will remain there for the next week. it did however throw off hand feeding for a couple days.....we had sustained 20-30 mph wind all day yesterday, but thats calming too.....i hope to feed this afternoon for the first time since Sunday evening.

GSF are people too!

#26163 04/03/07 09:55 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
ewests warning on beavers prompted me to research if the aqua vu co. has developed an RES camera guard, i couldnt locate one on the net, jeff, we'll probably have to manufacture one \:D
After my RES mauling I'm thinking of investing in Kevlar gloves. \:D

Quote:

jeff, our recent cold snap is probably just a blip on the radar, temporarily cooling surface water, but probably not affecting spawning time, its jumping back up into 70's today, and according to local forecasts will remain there for the next week. it did however throw off hand feeding for a couple days.....we had sustained 20-30 mph wind all day yesterday, but thats calming too.....i hope to feed this afternoon for the first time since Sunday evening.
Good to know the water temps are holding.

I've been trying to read posts daily, only 12 more gruesome days to go. I can't wait to get up there to see how things are going at my place.

Keep posting I'm reading.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

#26164 04/05/07 05:40 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D

GSF are people too!

#26165 04/05/07 07:59 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DIED what about those Aug. pHs ? How do you account for them ?

#26166 04/06/07 07:35 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Interesting graph Dave getting close to spawning temps!

Oh and speaking of spawning temps (wow that sounds like a good set up for a joke) anyway speaking of spawning temps, when we are discussing that a certain species begins spawning at a given water temperature how is the temperature measured - at the surface or at a given depth or an average between the two or what? (wish I could have thought of a good spawning temperature joke but my tax season fried brain ain't working so good right now - - need more coffee).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

#26167 04/06/07 08:36 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

#26168 04/06/07 09:25 AM
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
The last time we discussed it, the consensus was it meant the temperature at the depth the fish are spawning. More specifically, where the spawning beds are. E.G. in a large reservoir, the bass begin spawning first in the coves and shallows where the water is warmest, not in the main channels where it is still too cold.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#26169 04/06/07 01:40 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
yes its true, in honor of my 1,000th post, PB awarded me an all expenses paid bill fish trip to cabo with the top four co-anglers of the year!!, wow, what a great time......thanks guys!!

whew.....now that that's over, its back to BG.

ewest, those are April pH's (not august) and i am shocked. my meter is dead on with the calibration and tap water standards, so i have no reason to believe the pond readings are artificially high. the creek entrance water measured 7.68, but the main pond body is averaging around 10.27 . the fish do not seem the least bit distressed, and in fact, i had one of the most active feedings ever last night.

i take the measurements approximately 6-inches below the surface and as far as i can reach out beyond the near shore weed

as long as the fish are happy, i'm happy, and i'll keep monitoring and report back here.

jeff, i am fairly certain fish are already on beds and doin there thang. i sampled a very fat bellied 6-inch female BG a couple days ago and released her right next to where i caught her on a near shore bench about 3 foot down. On that same structure about 20 feet away, i also saw two larger fish (dont know if RES or GSF due to poor visibility) hanging tight together.

methinks i'm gonna have grandkids in a few weeks \:\)

yup, and me also thinks at a 1,000 posts i really need to just shut up and lurk a while :rolleyes:

GSF are people too!

#26170 04/06/07 01:51 PM
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
In case you didn't notice, D.I.E.D., apparently you caught a fish while you were down at Cabo.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#26171 04/07/07 11:06 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
In case you didn't notice, D.I.E.D., apparently you caught a fish while you were down at Cabo.
Ya know when that photo appeared across my 21 inch wide screen computer monitor I almost felt guilty. I had to zoom in on the photo to properly determine exactly what species of fish Dave was angling for.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

#26172 04/07/07 11:11 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
yes its true, in honor of my 1,000th post, PB awarded me an all expenses paid bill fish trip to cabo with the top four co-anglers of the year!!, wow, what a great time......thanks guys!!
Oh, sure and leave your old pond boss buddy Jeff slaving over 1040s while you go out and catch something scrumptious for dinner????

Quote:

yup, and me also thinks at a 1,000 posts i really need to just shut up and lurk a while :rolleyes:
Oh, no you don't I've got 8 more days of this paper pushing. Post on my friend, post on.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

#26173 04/14/07 12:57 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow! How did I miss that?

You know what I got for my 1,000th post?

...neither do I. ;\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#26174 04/14/07 03:05 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Bruce's signature sure describes DIED's fishing trip.

#26175 04/15/07 08:14 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good one Burger !!! \:D The question is did DIED know what he was fishing for and when did he know ?

#26176 06/02/07 06:52 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
sorry guys, no more fishin trips to Cabo lately, but i did manage to get a few pond readings.....arent you excited??!!!

i've been working so much i didnt get any mid-May measurements, and i wish i could remember how i saved the first chart on the previous page with the nice black border.....cant remember. i went from excel to adobe to jpeg to photobucket....any better suggestions?

anyway, here tis,

the average surface pH has decreased (thankfully i think), as average surface temps have risen. fish are happy despite the fact i'm losing water not soley to evaporation and am terribly worried for the pond this summer due to a long hot spring. am starting about 2 feet lower than this time last year with no rain probably until November.....yikes. much to my wife's chagrin, i may be installing a well sooner rather than later, and will need all the luck i can get to find a producing vein in our bedrock. i managed with the house well to get 10 gpm which is good for around here. the next well spot will be above the pond in the heart of the valley where two other drainages come in......fingers crossed.

GSF are people too!

#26177 06/03/07 09:46 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
My pond has got to be way down too Dave. I think we are in for a brutal year as far as pond water levels go.

Any idea about what is causing the PH swing? It looks like the PH rose steadily during the rainy season - was the PH increase caused by high PH water entering the pond from run off?

I vote for a well installation - ask your wife if I get a vote - that way it will be two against one. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/02/24 06:15 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 04:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Snipe - 05/02/24 03:27 PM
Treating pond water for residential use
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 03:26 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by Snipe - 05/02/24 02:55 PM
Using Advanced Search Function
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 01:49 PM
1/4 acre pond digging it Monday
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 12:00 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question