Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,067
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,410
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (esshup, bstone261, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson), 691 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#26053 02/22/07 09:31 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
this is a long time coming, and fun for me to share with you guys.

i finally made contact and visited a somewhat local fish farm today (not easy to do around these parts). not a retail place, not open to public, he mostly supplies food industry (asian markets being the biggest purchaser), and pond and game fish stocking is only a minor percentage of his business. saw some tanks full of sturgeon, hybrid carp, CC, LMB, spotted bass, and BG. The sturgeon were really cool to see. Unfortunately he did not have any gams or RES ready for sale, but (JEFF) we can probably place order to pick up later this spring.

anyhow, i told him i was looking for a mix of BG from YOY to adult if he could spare them, and wanted to stock ~1,000 fish. He had recently seined his BG pond, and had 3 tanks with mixed age (2) year classes (~1" to 4" fish), he'd had such a good spawn last year that "they were on sale" ~0.30c a piece \:\) which was nice cause he quoted me 0.50c apiece last year. he was a nice guy to do business with and REALLY generous with the scoops. we counted one of the "lighter" scoops and it had 159 fish in it, so we figured i was getting about 150-200 fish per scoop. he loaded me up with 10 scoops (probably between 1,500 and 2,000 fish!) for $300.

we split them into two double thick plastic bags with about 5 gallons of water each, forced the air out then injected pure O2 and sealed them off, put them in styrofoam coolers. my drive time was about an hour back to my place.

I put the bags in the pond water to acclimate about 15 minutes, managed a couple pics, and then released my new brood into their wild new wonderland. wow, and only 6 little floaters, i am a proud papa this evening.

GSF are people too!

#26054 02/22/07 10:16 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
\:D \:D \:\) New friends for your other lepomis !!!

Now they will really get mixed up. ;\)

#26055 02/22/07 10:17 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Congratulations, D.I.E.D.

Don't worry if you see a few more morts over the next couple of days; that seems like plenty of fish to establish a nice BG population.

Now you'll have to be on the lookout for a BG spawn later this year.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#26056 02/22/07 10:25 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D.I.E.D, congrats you 'ole pegleg.

Do you feed at all?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

#26057 02/22/07 10:34 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
D.I.E.D...You do realize those are all bullheads, don't you?
-
-
-
-
-

Just kidding. \:D :p \:D I'm excited for you. I love those stockings. It just gets you all fired up for future angling adventures.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#26058 02/23/07 01:19 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
yup, really fired up bruce...thanks,

eric and theo, i'll keep an eye out for more floaters, our water is still pretty cold after the storms rolled through today. i am also going to watch intently as the water warms in the shallow area to see if there are any territorial disputes between my GSF war mongers and newcomers. as you might recall, after the gam population was established, i transferred about 29 lunker GSF from the ranch pond in June last year. The GSF had at least one good spawn, and this year there are hundreds if not thousands of YOY sunnies in the 1-2" range. I have not seen hide nor hair of the large ones (nor have i fished for them), perhaps they perished or just hid out in the deep end all winter. there was one floater late last summer.

there is good cover in the shallows for the BG which mostly range from 1" to 4" with a couple pushing 5". the fish farmer was confident the larger ones would spawn at least once, maybe twice this year. (well before my current YOY sunnies spawn). my plan is to allow at least one BG spawn, followed by a solid growth period (preferably two spawns) and then i'll likely introduce 30-50 3-4" class spotted bass either later this fall or late winter 2007-08 because i dont imagine the GSF will be able to keep up as the top predator.....but they'll have their shot for a while. what do you guys honestly think of this plan? dont hold back \:D

sunil, i wont feed on a regular basis. i want the fishery established on its own legs. if (when) i have supplemental summer water i may reconsider, but i need to keep the nutrient load down in summer months, and the water quality and micro and macro organism growth is excellent in this area....lots to eat....after all the "recent former" RES world record came from just about 20 mi away......and am certain a near record GSF is swimming around the downstream ranch pond \:D

GSF are people too!

#26059 02/23/07 06:50 AM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Congrats D.I.E.D., your spots should grow to look like Sumo Wrestlers in no time at all when stocked. The W.R. should be off the chart. \:D \:D

Pond Boss subscriber ever since I joined the forum. Thanks Bob!
#26060 02/23/07 08:38 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Congratulations D.I.E.D.!!

#26061 02/23/07 09:44 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow Dave, that is fantastic news! What a great price also. I'm sending you email regarding this. If the guy has any more BG I'd love to get some and I'd like to pre-order RES.

Congratulations my friend, I'm so glad this worked out for you. The photos look great!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
#26062 02/23/07 09:50 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
i'll likely introduce 30-50 3-4" class spotted bass either later this fall or late winter 2007-08

......and am certain a near record GSF is swimming around the downstream ranch pond \:D
I'm just curious Dave, why Spotted Bass instead of LMB? Just for something different or is there a method to your madness? As I said before I will be thinning my LMB population this year and if you ever want any LMB we can easily transfer them to your place. Just a thought.

Are you trying to knock me off the pond record GSF position? \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
#26063 02/23/07 01:47 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i was gonna call this thread "A Bluegill Pond" but someone has already used that.....thanks for the congrats russ:)

FT, my ultimate goal is going to be large bream, but i figure some REALLY FAT and happy bass along the way wont hurt a thing.

jeff, here's my thinking,
a) the spots seem to do really well in this climate and water type, and i like to be different
b) they dont get as large as LMB, and perhaps spots (relative to LMB) might allow a slight expansion in the population of upper range BG size classes. after which,
c) if the larger BG size classes begin to dominate (which is good good good), then it is time to introduce a limited number of LMB to help keep balance in the upper BG sizes, forcing only the largest BG to get even larger.

it should follow that the GSF will track similarly to the downstream ranchpond. GSF overpopulation will be controlled by the fact that GSF do not spawn as much as BG, and the effects of spots may be much faster on the GSF. Smaller and mid-range GSF should have ample forage on Gams and smaller BG. Combined GSF and spots should place ample pressure on BG populations.

it seems to me this formula provides a long term growth in relative balance, at least 5 years (maybe more?) before the pond realizes bass overcrowding, stunting, missing bream year classes, and humungous BG and GSF (i.e. like the downstream ranch pond).

is that a bunch of crap, or does it make sense to anybody?

jeff, i will only submit to cecil a lunker GSF out of my pond, not the rancher's pond, so yer safe for a while my friend \:D

GSF are people too!

#26064 02/23/07 06:33 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DIED male only LMB would do the same as the spots but with no reproduction. Male LMB especially Fla LMB do not get real big. Maybe to cold for Fla's at your place. F-1 males may work. Spots and LMB will cross in the right circumstances IIRC. In your size pond seining and trapping over abundant BG or LMB should work. Do enough each year to get the balance you want.

#26065 02/23/07 06:44 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
...the spots seem to do really well in this climate and water type, and i like to be different
I can really relate to this thinking...and I love spotted bass. They are one really neat fish. I have no idea what some of the management quirks would be, but if I could pull it off I'd attempt to have a pond for spotted bass.

My thoughts are that while LMB, BG and CC ponds are very fun, they are so typical for Eastern Nebraska that I'd always want to be unique.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#26066 02/23/07 08:14 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i'm just not quite sure if i'm headed for a train wreck, or a somewhat unique way to achieve large bream........another major factor to consider is that until i have supplemental summer water the carrying capacity will be significantly affected each dry season if my 6-foot water level loss is going to be typical. the pond surface area shrinks from about 0.9 to 0.6 acre and max depth from 15 to 9. this will concentrate the fish and lead to free for all feeding with bass present. only the largest and smartest will survive.

ewest, although the pond is not large, i think it'd be really tough to seine because of all the rock structure along the basin floor, but i've never seined a pond, so i dont know, but i like the idea if the various populations dont do what i think they might if left on their own. perhaps the summer drawdown may serve that purpose?

it would be nice to have the choices around here to obtain various strains of bass, but i havent found them. i could pay HUGE shipping charges to say someone like Todd (which i might do for RES if i cant find any in the next 6 months ) the guy i met here yesterday has northerns and spotteds and thats it, but based on my experiences catching spots from local reservoirs, like you said bruce, they are a neat fish and might have a niche in BG population control that northerns or floridas pass right over....i think its worth a try......please dont call me dr. frankendave just yet....i wont earn that til the GSF cross with the BG and beget monster hybrid mongrels from el dorado ;\)

GSF are people too!

#26067 02/23/07 09:19 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cal. Smallmouth Bass aka Spotted Bass \:D

FishBase

Micropterus punctulatus
Spotted bass

Inhabits clear, gravelly flowing pools and runs of creeks and small to medium rivers. Also occupies impoundments. Juveniles feed on small crustaceans and midge larvae while adults eat insects, larger crustaceans, frogs, worms, grubs and small fish .

EFish

Food Habits:
· Young eat microcrustaceans, insects
· Juveniles and adults eat crayfish, fish, insects

Reproductive Habits:
· Mature in 1-4 years
· Spawning occurs late April to mid-May in water that is 15-19°C
· In streams, nests at pool margins like smallmouth bass
· In reservoirs, nests on the bottom in somewhat shallow water
· Fecundity is 3,806-30,586 eggs per female
· Naturally hybridizes with smallmouth bass

I seine all the time with lots of rock , wood and other structure. It just takes a little practice. They have Fla and F-1s in Cal. I will check some more.

#26068 02/23/07 10:04 PM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
LOL Dave, it's a great feeling isn't it ! It won't be long before you're sampling them with a worm, then their offspring with a minnow trap (baited with bread).

I'm probably wrong, but i see you in the future...looking at those bgill, thinking "hmmm, coppernose grow how much bigger?" \:\) As the pure breds get to be 10", you will curse the GSF for cross breeding genes...but that's minor at this point, you have a dozen LMB that bust your 6 lb line easily...and you finally consider your original stocking as "food". \:D

#26069 02/24/07 01:31 AM
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
When you put a new batch in the pond it's just so cool isn't it? Wish you the best for your efforts.

Gotta get back to fishin!
#26070 02/24/07 02:12 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
eastland and bz, thanks for stopping by. its great to see old pros like you still get excited by a simple BG stocking, and after doing it i understand why....

the day i have consistent 10-inch gills i just may have accomplished all i set out to do \:\)

i've seen no coppernose advertised in CA, but would love to find a source. those pics George put up were awesome, and should make any pondmeister envious.

thanks for the details on spots ewest. reading the preferred food suggests i might consider starting a crawdad population. i have great rocky habitat for them, but i might not get anybody to join me swimmin this summer \:\)

i saw several swirls out there this evening, and sunil's comment hit home. i was wishin i had a handful of pellets for them....i think i'll visit the feed store this weekend so i can have some pond treats on hand. the fish farm used high protein trout feed for all his fish, but i didnt get a name or brand.

GSF are people too!

#26071 02/24/07 06:49 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dave,

It must be a great feeling to get BG stocked for the first time. That sure is a healthy looking bunch, too. Good luck on finding some RES.

All this talk about stocking is making me chomp at the bit. It will be another week or 2 before my fish broker has any BG and RES, and late May before he has LMB. So I'll have to tough it out for a while longer.

#26072 02/24/07 08:13 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
D.I.E.D.

I just read your post from yesterday about naming this thread. Not wanting to hog the "BG Pond" theme, I just changed my post to "A NY Bluegill Pond". Maybe you could start a CA Bluegill Pond thread. Plenty of room to pile on my friend.

Russ

#26073 02/24/07 10:06 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Anyone correct me where I wrong, but doing some feeding now, if the bluegill will take it, may help in your overall survival rates.

I don't have any feeders at my pond because they would sprout legs and run away, but we do hand feed, and it's nice as a tool to see what comes up to eat.

I understand you're points about trying to limit nutrient load for low water times.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

#26074 02/24/07 10:21 AM
Lunker
Lunker
One day someone will make the jump from "A BG pond" to "THE BG pond."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#26075 02/24/07 10:49 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Dave, I like your thought process regarding the Spotted Bass. Like you said it seems like your structure would be perfect for them and it would be a unique pond.

I have a seine that is 25 feet long and 5 feet deep that you can use anytime you need (when the time comes for that).

I'll call you in the next couple of days, had a busy day yesterday and another today (darn working for a living is interfering with my pond meistering... I hate it when that happens).

I am so happy for you my friend, this was a long time coming!

Oh and a PS, did you get any snow this past week? (I posted a photo of my place with snow).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

#26076 02/24/07 09:04 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
bobad, i couldnt stop thinking about it for about the last year, hang in there, i am looking forward to yer first stocking pics...and yeah, they really were a feisty bunch.....just think, they were stuck in those bags all scrunched up next to each other sucking in PURE O2 for a little over an hour \:D \:D .....it's like i was looking in on a BG rave party when i cracked open the bags.

gentleman russ, yer thread is a true PB classic, and i certainly had no intention of getting you to change it. hell i cut my PB teeth reading that thread........ but since I inadvertantly got yer attention and you started the NY theme, i'll take it, i like it, and i'll keep this thread going to track my progress, and at some point, when the excitement of the stock has subsided, change the title as suggested. good deal.

sunil, today i found a 50lb bag of aquamax pro 42% protein floating food (was $30), seemed pricey but have never bought fish food before. its primarily for trout, but also lists for YP, HSB, red drum and "other omnivores". my only other option was lower protein catfish food, or REALLY expensive koi pellets. i bought it but found out its the larger pellets. fortunately they soften up after being in the water, but had no takers this afternoon.....coldfront comin in, fish down in the depths in the warm water. thanks for instigating even if you didnt know you did.....now we can have some fun with that after it warms a bit, and i probably wont use it during the hottest summer months.

i think a few of you guys already have THE BG POND, yer just too humble to say so.

jeff, i posted below yer photo, nice shot.....i remembered you have a seine, we'll have to do a seine survey this summer...after you get us some wine \:D \:D

GSF are people too!

#26077 02/24/07 09:26 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
DIED, grind up or break up a few cups of the pellets when you're ready to try feeding again.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:37 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB