Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,003
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil, esshup), 1,089 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#260002 05/25/11 12:16 PM
OP Offline
I am a new pond owner trying to get more and larger Bass in the pond. Here is a list of things on the agenda for 2011

1. Thinking of making the pond larger.
2. Adding aeration system
3. trapping bluegill and sunfish to remove the over crowed pond
4. Adding large mouth bass in August.

Glad to be apart of Pondboss and looking forward to all the things I can learn.

Thanks,
-Dan

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
All of those things sound good. How big is the pond?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
OP Offline
7 acres - could make it up to 12 if I get a good digging rate. Have to wait till June on that one.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Allmadness
I am a new pond owner trying to get more and larger Bass in the pond. Here is a list of things on the agenda for 2011

1. Thinking of making the pond larger.
2. Adding aeration system
3. trapping bluegill and sunfish to remove the over crowed pond
4. Adding large mouth bass in August.

Glad to be apart of Pondboss and looking forward to all the things I can learn.

Thanks,
-Dan

Dan,

First, welcome to Pond Boss.

It sounds like you have an existing pond with stunted bluegill. How big is the present pond, and what is in it besides pure-strain bluegill? Are there other sunfish types? Are there any predators, like northern pike or walleye?

Next, what part of the state are you located in? The northern third of Wisconsin has far different fish growing conditions compared to the southern third of the state.

Again, depending on what part of the state you are in, I'm not sure I would add largemouth bass in August. I think I'd want to have lots of forage for the bass before subjecting them to a long and severe winter. I guess it depends on the quantity of small sunfish/bluegill. If you have an extremely large forage base, maybe now is the time to add the bass so they can become fat before the ice forms. If not, you may want to think about adding a forage species like fathead minnows now, and adding the bass early next spring.

I'd also suggest you contact Pond Boss friend Bob Robinson in Prescott, WI (715-262-4488, sales@kascomarine.com). Bob knows more about Wisconsin pond management than anybody. If you are thinking about aeration, he should be your first and most trusted contact. The guy is an incredible resource for all-things-ponds in Wisconsin.

Let's see what others chime in with. Other ideas?

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
OP Offline

Pond Size - 7 Acres
Fish types - Bluegill, Green Sun fish, Black Crappie, Largemouth Bass - Caught a 12.5inch crappie last week.
Located in Central Wisconsin - middle of state - 1hr South of Wausau and 2 hours north of Madison.
Thanks - I'll Give Bob a call on the aeration.

There used to be more Bass - not exacly sure what happen. But want to get more of them and larger Bass.
Thanks for reading.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My guess is that somebody took out way too many bass, letting the bluegill, green sunfish, and crappie get out of control. Especially the crappie, but to a certain extent, the green sunfish, are probably taking out the year-of-young bass.

You probably have a couple of choices. None are quick.

One is to completely kill the pond and start over.

The second is to add a lot of large bass, but they may not be able to overcome large populations of crappie and green sunfish.

In your part of the country, is there any chance you could plant a small number of hybrid (tiger) musky? They won't reproduce, but they can do a pretty good job of cleanup on what is in the pond. You would just have to have a plan to get them out of the pond, or they will become the top predator, and you still won't have bass.

Definitely give Bob a call. I believe he can make some good suggestions on getting your fish population under control.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Your really in a tricky situation.. I think even if you stock a large amount of large bass (expensive time consuming) your still gonna have problems.. Crappie will compete with LMB and they will out breed anything in your pond so your not gonna get ahead.. If your planning on enlarging the pond I'd seriously consider killing off everything and starting fresh, sounds harsh but that way you get what you want and know exactly what you have..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Plover??

The suggestions are sound. The biggest problem is the crappie. They spawn before the LMB and the YOY crappie will eat the YOY LMB.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #260088 05/25/11 09:30 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Personally, I would do a complete pond renovation and start over. The agony and headaches involved in trying to fix the problem will be worse than the patience required to start all over and wait for your newly stocked fish to grow. Plus, I believe it'll be cheaper to poison and restock rather than try to renovate the current fish population... This is predicated on the knowledge that however those unwanted species(GSF, BC) got in there, will not get back into the pond after renovation.

If you do not go the fish poison route, I would highly recommend you invest in a couple of fyke/hoops nets. These are the least utilized method of fish management but IMO the most efficient and effective in removing the exact fish you want and only those fish... They capture everything. However, you can release the species and sizes you want released and those you want removed can be taken out... There are several companies that sell them, if interested I can provide a list.

Relying on high end predatory species like large Esox(pike and musky) carries risks. They often don't want to cooperate by eating what they want to eat, not necessarily the species and size of fish you want them to eat. However, you have a large enough pond that they are certainly an option with proper management if you don't want to go the fyke/hoop net route.

esshup #260137 05/26/11 08:40 AM
OP Offline
yes close to Plover.

OP Offline
Thanks for the input. I didn't know until now that the BC would kill off the Bass young. That sounds like what may have happen.

Thanks again for putting the killing/restocking option out there. I had thought about it...but didn't want to do it of course since it's 7 acres.

This is a tuff one. ....
I do have a bait trap that I am catching bluegill and GSF in, trying to kill off as many as I can.

So If I don't get rid of the BC I will always be playing the balance game with the Bass? I am guessing I can't over fish the BC since that isn't a reliable option for year after year?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
grin I went to UWSP.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #260142 05/26/11 08:50 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You are correct. It will take a LOT of fishing pressure to reduce the BC, and they will always be unpredictable due to their boom or bust spawning.

If the funds are there, I'd drain the pond down as far as possible, then kill it with rotenone and do a follow up with hydrated lime. That's the surest way to get back on track quickly. It may take years to get the crappie fished out, and you might never accomplish your goals.

Draining the pond as far as you can will reduce the amount of $$ spent on poison, and will help you ensure that you poison all the areas that fish are congregating in.

You could drain it down, and see if the fisheries dept at Point would like to seine the pond as a class exercise. Then you'd have even less fish to worry about killing.

Last edited by esshup; 05/26/11 08:52 AM. Reason: hit submit too soon.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #260144 05/26/11 08:52 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
grin I went to UWSP.

Nice - you know my area.

esshup #260145 05/26/11 08:57 AM
OP Offline
You are correct. It will take a LOT of fishing pressure to reduce the BC, and they will always be unpredictable due to their boom or bust spawning.

If the funds are there, I'd drain the pond down as far as possible, then kill it with rotenone and do a follow up with hydrated lime. That's the surest way to get back on track quickly. It may take years to get the crappie fished out, and you might never accomplish your goals.

Draining the pond as far as you can will reduce the amount of $$ spent on poison, and will help you ensure that you poison all the areas that fish are congregating in.

You could drain it down, and see if the fisheries dept at Point would like to seine the pond as a class exercise. Then you'd have even less fish to worry about killing.

Pond isn't seine able - the make up just isn't do-able, but good idea.
I am running a bait trap now - was hoping I could cut into the numbers this year. We all do remember this is a 7 acre pond right? That's a lot of water and it's spring feed. It takes almost a week to get it down 3 feet.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Your really in a tricky situation.. I think even if you stock a large amount of large bass (expensive time consuming) your still gonna have problems.. Crappie will compete with LMB and they will out breed anything in your pond so your not gonna get ahead.. If your planning on enlarging the pond I'd seriously consider killing off everything and starting fresh, sounds harsh but that way you get what you want and know exactly what you have..

I wasn't able to find adult LMB in my area - seemed that I had to get them from West coast and wait till August. What do you do in your parts? Are there more fish farms around?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yeah, I know 7 ac is a lot of water. There are PTO driven pumps for some tractors that move a LOT of water, but it all depends on how much is coming in from the springs.
Have you tried keystone hatchery? They are just South of the Wi. border.

http://keystonehatcheries.com/largemouth-bass-0

All you need is LMB that are big enough to avoid predation from your other LMB in the pond. Say, 1/3 the length or slightly longer than the larger LMB in your pond now. You could stock smaller ones, but some will get eaten by the LMB in the pond now. 50 per acre would be a good starting point, depending on how many LMB per acre you think you have in there now.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #260151 05/26/11 09:58 AM
OP Offline
Yeah, I know 7 ac is a lot of water. There are PTO driven pumps for some tractors that move a LOT of water, but it all depends on how much is coming in from the springs.
Have you tried keystone hatchery? They are just South of the Wi. border.

http://keystonehatcheries.com/largemouth-bass-0

All you need is LMB that are big enough to avoid predation from your other LMB in the pond. Say, 1/3 the length or slightly longer than the larger LMB in your pond now. You could stock smaller ones, but some will get eaten by the LMB in the pond now. 50 per acre would be a good starting point, depending on how many LMB per acre you think you have in there now.

I tired them last year - but they get them from a guy that sells his Bass to a different market and he didn't have any left from what I was told.

What about the BC in the pond. Won't BC eat 3-4inch bass?

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
My guess is that somebody took out way too many bass, letting the bluegill, green sunfish, and crappie get out of control. Especially the crappie, but to a certain extent, the green sunfish, are probably taking out the year-of-young bass.

You probably have a couple of choices. None are quick.

One is to completely kill the pond and start over.

The second is to add a lot of large bass, but they may not be able to overcome large populations of crappie and green sunfish.

In your part of the country, is there any chance you could plant a small number of hybrid (tiger) musky? They won't reproduce, but they can do a pretty good job of cleanup on what is in the pond. You would just have to have a plan to get them out of the pond, or they will become the top predator, and you still won't have bass.

Definitely give Bob a call. I believe he can make some good suggestions on getting your fish population under control.

How do people remove Tiger musky?

OP Offline
What about Walleye - Will they eat BG,GSF, and BC?

Maybe putting 200 of them in would help.?.?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Tiger musky(TM) are generally removed by angling. They show hybrid vigor and are often quite aggressive. Angling for them is fairly easy, especially in a lightly fished private pond where they do not receive heavy pressure. So it is possibly to utilize them as a predator to remove fish and once they get to a size where they start to cause issues, you can remove them via angling. Nate Herman a member on here seems to be using this method effectively, I think more with pike though, maybe if he sees this post he'll chime in.

Walleye(WE) will eat BG, GSF and BC. However, WE have fairly small mouths and are limited in the size of those species they can eat. I would not expect them to make much of a dent in any of those populations. If anything, they will be competition for food resources.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Tiger musky(TM) are generally removed by angling. They show hybrid vigor and are often quite aggressive. Angling for them is fairly easy, especially in a lightly fished private pond where they do not receive heavy pressure. So it is possibly to utilize them as a predator to remove fish and once they get to a size where they start to cause issues, you can remove them via angling. Nate Herman a member on here seems to be using this method effectively, I think more with pike though, maybe if he sees this post he'll chime in.

Walleye(WE) will eat BG, GSF and BC. However, WE have fairly small mouths and are limited in the size of those species they can eat. I would not expect them to make much of a dent in any of those populations. If anything, they will be competition for food resources.

Thanks for the post!
I never thought about WE mouth size, always figured they have large teeth they will eat lots. Good point, thanks!
I had a local fish guy tell me I need a fish to eat heavy year round - so Bass eat heavy june to oct then have walleye eat oct to may.

Also found out I have bullheads - removed 4 today - bummer.

Removed 206 total fish so far this year another 4,800 to go.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
4,800? I think you need a lot of friends and a fyke net.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
OP Offline
I'm using a "bait" trap to catch the fish. It's a lot cheaper than a fyke net. And we are fishing at least twice a week. Just got 36 fish this morning in the trap.

QUESTION: What is this fish?
To me it appears to be a LMB crossed with a GSF? Anyone else have any idea what this is?

I cropped a hand out of some of the pictures.

Attached Images
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The pictures are of pure strain green sunfish. GSF.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...