Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (anthropic, esshup), 743 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Have a friend who is planning stocking strategy for a 2 acre pond. Established high density forage base of GSH and FHM over last 16 months - you can walk on them.

I don't have experience with stocking LMB, so I need advise on this Northern pond here in Nebraska.

Fishery will consist of RES, BG, LMB and HSB and maybe YP later on.

Here's was my Northern Pond Reverse strategy, please correct me where I'm wrong all you LMB guys:

Stock LMB, HSB, and RES 2-4" fish NOW so the RES and HSB escape predation from LMB as they have limited gape and will be focused primarily on the FHM.

Fall or Spring 2012 stock advanced BG [4-6"] in attempt to keep BG population managed.

Feeders will keep the HSB and eventually YP fed.

Appreciate your feedback in advance!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Hard to say with all those species. The more species the more variables to try and manage. As with all ponds the first fish will likely be ok and the trick will be managing the offspring. Watch closely to see if all are reproducing to adulthood. My concern would be the YP being able to continue a viable population. I might start a few of them early with the LMB.

Last edited by ewest; 05/24/11 08:20 PM.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I'm thinking the YP would not be able to establish themselves with reproduction - probably only through supplemental stocking. But he's into cage culture and is aware with LMB he'll have to grow everything out once they get to 2-3 lbs only adult fish stand a fair chance.

Eliminating the YP, HSB and RES for a moment - would you suggest stocking LMB first then BG the following season or year?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you can source advanced sized HSB, you can stock them whenever as they should be big enough to avoid predation. Later on when LMB are larger, you're really going to need larger HSB stockers. I am sure Bruce would be a good source in helping you find larger HSB stockers. However, if you want to stock smaller HSB in the beginning then simply stock small ones with the initial stocking of LMB and RES.

I would stock the RES and LMB now if they are 2"-4" fish. Numbers stocked depends on goals of the owner. I would stock 50 LMB this year and another 50 next year giving you two separate year classes. It is unlikely the original 50 stocked this year will be large enough to spawn next spring, so that is why you want to stock another 50 next year to fill in that gap and give you two distinct year classes. I would stock 250 RES per acre. These number should produce a balanced fishery.

The key is to then track the growth of the LMB. Don't expect them to grow nearly as fast as if they were in a southern pond. However, you aren't far north and it sounds like there is an excellent forage base already established. IME, the trick is to time the stocking of the BG the same year as the LMB spawn for the first time. I would guess, the LMB you stock this year in 2011, will spawn for the first time in spring of 2013. They may spawn next year, but that is not likely. If they spawn next year, bump up the BG stocking 1 year earlier and eliminate the additional LMB stocking, however I don't think this will happen. You will want to stock larger adult BG, which means you can stock fewer fish. I would shoot for 5"+ BG and stock 100-150 per acre. Pushing numbers up to 150-200 per acre if leaning more towards a trophy LMB fishery. These initial BG will not be prey, but their babies will be. The idea is, you want your newly born LMB to prey heavily on the fry of the newly stocked and spawning BG. The BG are gonna spawn like crazy to fill the biomass and you want lots of baby bass in their to thin them out. This will allow better growth rates of those BG left, prevent stunting and improve the overall food chain.

YP will be a challenge, particularly if they are not pellet trained. It sounds like you will be sourcing pellet trained fish. If this is the case, you may have to rely on supplemental stocking to maintain a YP fishery as the LMB especially as they get larger will really hammer your YP. If vegetation is limited, then this will increase YP predation even more. However, the stocking of 7"-8"+ YP, should maintain a reasonable fishery, even with LMB predation.

Last edited by CJBS2003; 05/24/11 09:51 PM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I would stock LMB , HSB and RES and YP now. You could divide them into 2 year classes. Then follow with the adult BG in summer just after you stock the second year class. Whatever is done it will be outside the box and mgt/adjustments will be needed. Feeding and cages will give you more options.

Last edited by ewest; 05/25/11 09:41 AM.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Eric and Travis thanks - sounds like I wasn't TOO far off. Appreciate the guidance from LMB pros like yourselves. Hopefully this project will be successful and I'll update you on what we plan to do.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails