Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Jward87), 716 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
EXCELLENT story. Congratulations George and Nicky!!

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Goofy computer - link quit working.
I'll try to get a digital copoy from the author.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Scott asked if he could make the article public and since the cat was out of the bag with several million DMN readers, I said OK - go for it!
grin

Dallas Morning News
Sunday May 1 2011

60 years of marriage started with a blind date

Nicky and George Glazener's 60-year marriage started with a blind date. She wasn’t impressed, but he sure was. Luckily, she gave him a second chance.

By DARLA ATLAS
Special Contributor
Published 29 April 2011 06:24 PM

Sometimes it pays to give a person a second chance.
Just ask Nicky Glazener. Back in 1950, she agreed to go out on a blind date with a Texan named George, whose job in the oil and gas exploration business had relocated him to her hometown in Kansa
“Oh, I didn’t like him,” Nicky, now 78, recalls. “After that first date or two I thought, ‘I don’t think so.’”

George, meanwhile, had an entirely different take on the matter.
“I thought she was the cutest little thing!” he says with a laugh.
Nicky can’t remember exactly why she didn’t care for him: “It was just one of those feelings you get,” she says. “I’d dated just a few other people, not very many. Then after we dated another time or two, it changed.”

After they’d gone out for about six months, George — who liked to think of himself as “footloose and fancy-free” — realized that he was slipping into a serious relationship.
“I had no intentions whatsoever of getting married,” he says.

Just as George was taking a step back, Nicky was falling in love.
“He didn’t show up for a couple of weeks,” she remembers. “My mother said, ‘Donna June’ — that’s my full name — ‘Donna June, you just quit crying and give him a phone call.’ That’s what I did, and we got back together for lunch. He didn’t try to leave again.”
“Forever,” George adds.

The two were married on July 29, 1951, the day after Nicky’s 19th birthday. Thus began the couple’s life of adventure and travel together. During their first year of marriage, George’s job took them from Oklahoma to Kansas to Colorado to New Mexico to Utah and back to Oklahoma.

“After we bought our mobile home, we moved around 24 times in 27 months,” Nicky says.
“Can you imagine someone like that leaving home with a guy like me, to work on oil field crews?” George says with a chuckle. “There has not been anybody else like that. No one could stay married to me but her.”

As they continued to relocate from town to town, the couple expanded their family with three sons: Steve, Stan and Jeff, now 58, 57 and 51. By 1969, George had been promoted to manager of new technology for Sun Oil Co.’s Seismic Computer Center in Dallas. He retired in 1980 as manager of geophysics.

The two then started their own business in oil and gas consulting. George would often take their clients fly fishing, while Nicky stayed home to do the paperwork. “His buddy in Oklahoma was a guide, so he’d leave me home with the secretarial duties,” she says. “I thought, ‘You know what? This doesn’t sound quite right.’” They then developed a love of fly fishing together, a hobby they continue today.

The couple, who settled down in Plano 41 years ago, spend a lot of time with their children and five grandkids. But the most recent decade hasn’t been easy.

In the past seven years, George has battled both bladder cancer and colon cancer. After he beat the first one, “a month later we found out he had another cancer,” Nicky says. “Last year was not a good year for us. We had chemo and radiation and two major surgeries.”

George describes his wife as “my constant nurse. She saved my life.

“A positive attitude and low tolerance for self-pity goes a long way in defeating life-threatening cancers,” adds George, who last month was told he’s cancer-free again. “Especially if you have a beautiful nurse for a caregiver.”

The two laugh easily and often together. Both feel blessed that Nicky gave him a second chance all those years ago.
“She’s spoiled me so bad,” George says. “Now and then she fusses at me because I’m spoiled, but I keep reminding her that it’s her fault.”

But he also spoils her in certain ways. Back when their first son was a baby, a tradition was born.
“He’d go out on the crew really early and come home afterward,” Nicky says. “Before he’d go rock the baby, he’d bring me coffee in bed.” To this day, George gets up each morning to make his special delivery. “All of our married life, she gets her coffee in bed every morning,” he says. “It calms all the troubled waters.”

As she looks back on her 60-year marriage, “it’s definitely a God thing,” Nicky says. “One thing that has kept our marriage together is that if we had a little argument, I’d say, ‘OK, you’re right, I’m wrong, I love you.’”

As for George, he can’t contain his enthusiasm for the curly haired woman who became his bride.
“She’s my best friend and the best person that ever lived,” he says. As he starts to describe himself as “a very difficult person,” his wife begs to differ. Still, he adds, “She has stars in her crown.”

Photos in article:

Last edited by george1; 05/02/11 12:50 PM. Reason: Add photos in artcle

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Excellent story!!!

Congratulations George and Nicky!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Wonderful!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That is a wonderful story indeed.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Touching.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Wow, that is a beautiful story!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The article left out a key piece of info - George and Mrs. G. are the best fly tying duo around ! George's know how and Mrs. Gs eye for color and pattern are unmatched.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Thanks everyone, it’s been a fun couple of days.
We were surprised when we opened The Dallas Morning News yesterday morning because we did not know if or when the article would be published, even after a fun and lengthy interview by the author.
We were greeted by friends at early church service yesterday that had read the article – all very respectful and congratulatory.

Then the emails from fishin’ buddies, that behaved very predictably, with remarks such as:
“George you were lucky it was a blind date becase if she had seen you before she would have stood you up….”

“Congratulations George! Nice story; and I can understand why she didn’t like you at first...”

The story behind the story is as interesting as the article but not appropriate for the Internet … grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Heff knows the story!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Heff knows the story!

Heff ain't tellin' .... grin laugh

B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
In today's world that is something to talk about and what a wonderful example for all of us to strive for!

Congrats!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Congrats to George and Nicky, both great role models.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
This is such a wonderful, sweet, heart-warming love story. I'm sorry for your hardships.... so sorry. But, It seems like you both are in "good hands"... both in God's and in each other's. In real life, I know of only one life-long love (my Grandma and Grandpa's... ). And now, I know of a second one. Thank you for sharing... it makes believers of us all.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Stacy4Stubby
This is such a wonderful, sweet, heart-warming love story. I'm sorry for your hardships.... so sorry. But, It seems like you both are in "good hands"... both in God's and in each other's. In real life, I know of only one life-long love (my Grandma and Grandpa's... ). And now, I know of a second one. Thank you for sharing... it makes believers of us all.

Thanks Stacy, you just made my day!
Just for that, here's another SS photo for your collection ... she doesn't know about this - she's waiting for her second cup of coffee before she gets out of bed ... grin
I wanted to send it before but she was hesitant, so we'll keep it a secret ... laugh

secret ...

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Oh, thank you George smile! What kind of fish is that? Top-secret!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Stacy4Stubby
Oh, thank you George smile! What kind of fish is that? Top-secret!

Trophy Tilapia .... smile
Mrs G. sweet talks Todd Overton and he sends her sample packs of Stubby Steve's ... grin

J
J
You are my role model, George. A life well lived! Cheers!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM