Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,786
Members18,482
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
7 members (MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, catscratch, JPierson, Boondoggle, esshup, Theeck), 969 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
From a low of 7" in depth on the marker to 60" today. Now if I could only keep it this full!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
R
Beautiful pond (when full!)

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I feel your elation of full pool and share your knowledge that in July/Aug it's gonna be back down. What bugs me the most is the carrying capacity that is lost. On the upside however, 4 yrs ago I had to walk down to the stream to even see minnows, now i have a place to float around on when it gets hot and some pretty healthy YP and Hsb (thanks to all the help from Bill Cody and this site) for such a small body of water. Bob-O

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Looks great esshup!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have to agree with the carrying capacity part! Last year was the lowest that it got since the renovation. We'll see about this year. When it starts dropping I might turn on the well and see if I can stay ahead of it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I like your pond Scott. It looks great when full, but you seem to manage the fluctuations well.

I have heard that GW ponds will eventually seal up over time, but I do not know if it is actually true.

A couple days ago we got 2" of rain in less than 24 hrs. Friday morning I talked to some people that live on the Muskegon River. Officials called everyone along the river because they had to full flow the dam, and everyone should evacuate. I went through this morning and have never seen the flooding so bad. It is quite unusual for that to happen around here.

My bummer out of this is that my GW test holes are dry. My Mom and Dad's basement is dry. Usually there would be at least two sump pumps going all spring with a third for extra load. Not one was ever needed.

You have to go back to 1906 to beat the amount of rain for the month of April that we had this year.

A couple years ago, you could almost poke a stick in the ground and hit water.

Something happened to our water table, and I can only speculate that the GW found a new path of least resistance to it's destination, which is the Muskegon River.

Something is broke for GW ponds, but good for those with full basements.

I am about a half mile north of the Muskegon River in Bridgeton Township, but guessing, maybe, about 100 feet or so higher in elevation. Odd thing is, is that between me and the river, at about the same elevation as me, is a classified wetland area, same as behind me.

Left is south (if you are facing west), so you have River - wetland - me - wetland. Both wetlands and me are within, maybe, 3 to 6 feet in elevation. Me being higher. The river is quite a ways down. The wet area out back is not wet!

Where did the water go? It has to have taken a new path is all I can think of.

Last edited by JKB; 04/30/11 10:20 PM.
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks JKB. I think that even with the rain that we had recently, the ground water level hasn't had a large enough supply this winter, and has never recovered from the drought last Fall. If it wasn't for this rain in the past few weeks, I'd still have a pond that was about 4' low. I do get surface water flowing into the pond from high rain events. The area that the pond was dug in typically had water running thru it during wet periods in the Spring, and the woods to the South typically flood in the Spring.

You might be seeing the same low ground water levels. Given more rain, and time, the water should seep down and replenish some of the ground water. While the hard fast rainstorms filled the pond, it's the groundwater that keeps it full.

Typically my pump house floods in the wet Springs, up to 24" deep. This year, even with the rain, it has stayed dry. That is what is leading me to believe that the ground water levels haven't come up, and what i'm seeing is just surface water.

I do believe that groundwater ponds will seal up over time, but with this sandy soil I don't think they completely seal like a clay lined pond will.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
There are obviously big differences in ground water ponds depending on where they are located. Our pond was dug into the ground water table approximately 35 feet below the original topsoil layer. The first 20 feet of aggregate was removed just to get to the ground water. Then the next 10-15 feet of aggregate was removed. Below that is a thick layer of clay. The makeup of areas surrounding us for several miles in all directions is similar.

I wonder what core samples in your areas would show. Perhaps you know?

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dwight, when talking to the NRCS agent, he said that typical core samples in the county are pure sand, going down 50-100 feet. When I told him that the soil at my place was sand to 10.5', gravel for 6", clay/gravel for 1', sand for the next 6', another layer of 6" gravel then a grey clay/gravel mix, he said that it was unusual for this county. We dug my pond down to 22' depth, having to pump water out every day once we got down past the first gravel/clay layer at 11'. Unfortunately we didn't have enough clay to line the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Alright! Glad to see you finally got the water you needed. Guess that means I can put the pipeline project from my overflows to your pond on hold.......

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Heck no! By the time you get it completed, the pond will start dropping again. grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
C
Wow, that looks awesome! Hope mine looks like that some day.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:01 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM