Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,765
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
1 members (Steve Clubb), 610 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254701 04/12/11 04:23 PM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
I've got some hungry, big bass and weeds. Is there any downside to adding a good amount of Tilapia into the mix? I understand they die when the water hits 50 degrees. Is this the only downside? Will they die for sure? Do they compete with the bass? I've got a great bass pond going and I dont want to screw it up with the Tilapia.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
I think it's a warm water fish. If the water temp drops too low, they are all dead.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Generally, the most major downsides to tilapia are if they over winter. Whether they will or not depends on the species of tilapia, the location in the country you are and how mild or cold of a winter your area experiences. There are not many areas in the country where even blue tilapia the most cold tolerant species will over winter with any regularity. If over wintering is a concern, as in if you live in an area of the country with mild winters, they Mozambique tilapia would be a better option to prevent over wintering. Also, make sure it is legal to stock tilapia in the state you live in... Where are you located ashannon?

Tilapia are capable of eating large amounts of certain vegetation. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the goals you have for your pond. Tilapia are generally planktivores and can compete with other game fish for this food source. Tilapia also turn unavailable nutrients into fish for food for desirable game fish. This is one of their most valuable assets.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
ashannon, where are you and your pond located?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
If Tilapia lived year round, they would be the worst fish possible in a fishing pond...the fact that they die IS the reason they work so well in ponds for so many management goals...Pond Meister's buy fish food to feed their fish, chemicals to control plants...lots of bucks there. For that same money or less, Tilapia will produce far more food for the other fish and also control most plants with no need for chemicals, Plus, they improve water quality, eat and reduce organic detritus (muck) and oxygenate low DO waters. Tilapia HAVE to die to keep from being a problem in a pond and are one of the most effective, results producing tool we have.

I'm aware of the study claiming Tilapia are planktivores, but will have to dispute the single study claiming this as fact for "tilapia", mainly because there is no species identified as plantivorous....there are hundreds of various tilapia species. Tilapia can filter feed but are not capable of being effective filter feeders and do so in a unique way using a sticky mucus on hair like appendages on the gills. The 6 Tilapia species most readily available in the United States (T. Zilli; T. Rendalli; T. Hornorum; T. Nilotica; T. Aurea; and T. Mozambiiccus) filter very little plankton <1% of total diet) unless it is they only food source...Tilapia target the foods least competed for.

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
The pond is in Llano Texas about an hour west of Austin. Is there any chance, any chance at all that the Tilapia would make it through winter? It's one of those things, there I don't want to put them in my pond if there is any chance of it being a negative impact.

Thanks for ya'lls help.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I see no way that they would survive.

Actually, I'm not sure there would be a really big problem if they did.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Wouldn't they take over the lake if they survived? It sounds like they reproduce like crazy.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
ashannon, one more question.....How cold are your winters in your area? You might want to consider a species if tilapia that die when the water temps come down to the lower 50's.

ashannon, as someone who's stocked them in my North East TX lake for the past 4 years, I can't think of one negative other than the stocking cost. There has been a remarkable difference in certain weed control in my 13 acre lake since I started stocking, and my bass have grown tremendously more in those 4 years than they did before.

The winter water temp as stated, could be your only issue. Personally, I don't think an occasional soft winter would create a problem, as I believe the bass would happily munch on the extra fish.

You may want to call Overton's in Buffalo TX, and see what they think. I believe they have to winter their Tilapia in sheds to keep them from dying there.

Al

AL

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Tilapia have no downside in a pond they can not live year round in, unless you consider large quantities of forage, improved water quality, much higher pond biomass capability and excellent algae/vegetation control to be detrimental in your pond.

In a pond that could have very mild winters with water temps only dropping briefly into the mid to upper fifties (<3 days), tilapia could pose major overpopulation problems in the 3rd year of survival. Tilapia will not spawn regardless of water temps without an adequate photo period of 12 hours so there will be no winter reproduction in an outdoor pond. The second year of survival would produce tens of millions of fish and the would consume nearly every available nutrient in that third year before any other species would have a chance of getting it....All fish would eventually stunt and starve creating an eventual DO crash.

In more mild climate areas, stock only Mozambique or Nile tilapia, or any mixed sex hybrid tilapia which all die from 52-58 degrees and become disease vulnerable about 10 degrees cooler just to be safe...My Blue Tilapia are pure strain and are the only tilapia capable of surviving from 42-45 degrees...I will not sell to owners in mild climates wanting to stock ponds.

Tilapia should NEVER be stocked with the hope that they will survive year round in a pond. Consider tilapia as another pond management tool, the same way you use feed or chemicals to help reach management goals.

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Is there someway to tell what water temps get down to during winter in the central to southern part of Texas? I just have no idea how that correlates to the temperature of the air. Thoughts?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Get a cheap water temp thermometer from Cabela's or Bass Pro...Minokta makes one and I know Cabela's had them lisetd in the Bargain cave for around $9

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I use to have a really cool aquatic fowl themed pond temperature monitoring device. Unfortunately it disappeared a couple of years ago.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ah, yes, the Duckmaster 5000. Sorry to hear it's gone. Sad news, indeed. frown

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A indoor/outdoor thermometer will work too. Use the probe and "outside" setting.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many LMB to remove?
by Boondoggle - 04/17/24 11:26 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by Fishingadventure - 04/17/24 10:48 PM