Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (highflyer), 894 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
If you didn’t make the conference, you better have had a really good excuse. I had the greatest time and learned even more than I thought I would and my expectations were already high.

I was immensely humbled to meet many great people for the first time. The Boss himself, Mike Otto, Bill Cody, Eric West, Sunil, Nate Herman, Dave Davidson, Sue Cruz, Chris Steelman, Greg Grimes, Blaine and Blair (they’re not the same guys!), and many, many more, including great vendors. You don’t quite realize how great a resource the forum is until you jump in and experience it. Same thing with the conference. If you own a pond, just as the forum is a necessity, so is the conference. The passion and general good-heartedness in this industry is something unlike any other. I’m just a young guy with a little pond in Nebraska, yet guys like Otto and Cody took the time to speak with me. I could continue to ramble on, but I’ll stop and add that the only thing I could think to change about the conference is there wasn’t enough time to take it all in.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Nice pictures Kelly, I see you caught my best side in some of the pictures (the back of my head!). It was good to speak with you and Bill on my spatterdock problem, I'll double check my plant identification and get back with you on my progress. Thanks.

Bryan

Lunker
Lunker
Welcome home conventioneers. From this thread it looks like it was a great weekend.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
If you didn’t make the conference, you better have had a really good excuse. I had the greatest time and learned even more than I thought I would and my expectations were already high.

I was immensely humbled to meet many great people for the first time. The Boss himself, Mike Otto, Bill Cody, Eric West, Sunil, Nate Herman, Dave Davidson, Sue Cruz, Chris Steelman, Greg Grimes, Blaine and Blair (they’re not the same guys!), and many, many more, including great vendors. You don’t quite realize how great a resource the forum is until you jump in and experience it. Same thing with the conference. If you own a pond, just as the forum is a necessity, so is the conference. The passion and general good-heartedness in this industry is something unlike any other. I’m just a young guy with a little pond in Nebraska, yet guys like Otto and Cody took the time to speak with me. I could continue to ramble on, but I’ll stop and add that the only thing I could think to change about the conference is there wasn’t enough time to take it all in.

+1

I was especially appreciative to benefit from conversations with Bill and Eric, and was able to corner Dave Willis for a spell, too. I'm glad to have met and spent time with Blaine and Blair, and spend some "off topic" time with Sunil and Sue. My only regret is the conference seems to pass so quickly - it's a difficult balance to find time to socialize with our PB brethren AND get myself in a position to benefit from all the speakers - I make this struggle conspicuous with my late arrivals each morning [afternoon]. Oh well, vacation is vacation!

This was only my second conference, but many more are already on my calendar. Somehow the conference improved over last year, and I didn't think it possible. Many thanks to Bob, Mike, the moderators and attendees - I miss all y'all already! Regional PB gatherings MUST happen this Summer! 18 months is too long to wait to see you all again.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
ewest Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Omaha the pleasure was ours. Each and every one of us started in the same place on this journey. TJ I hear you - me too.

Stick - more than great. It's like a reunion of long lost family. The Forum is great and so is a convention - but add the two together and the feeling is not easily described. There is a bond between us all. I wish I could do it justice in words but I have tried before and just can’t find the words to match the feeling -- but I can feel it reading Omaha and TJ's posts.

Last edited by ewest; 04/18/11 01:41 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: george1
Hey Guys, check with Eric at moderator booth for Mrs. G’s $Gill flies - donations to SDSU Jesse West scholarship foundation!
Here’s a photo of a $Gill fly if you look closely from fishin’ yesterday …
Y’all have fun – wish I were there.

SDSU cap and Mrs.G's $Gill fly ... grin

George - I bid four times on those flies and also the TFO fly rod/flies and lost both by LATE bidders. Grrrrr...I did end up spending some well deserved bucks on the Venison Pastrami and bid/won a couple of In-Fisherman hats...all for a great cause. Still...my Wipers wouldn't stand a chance with those flies of yours!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I figure I had better post some pictures of what I played a small part in making happen...the "hands on" demonstrations on the pond.

I wish I could take credit for getting the clouds to part and the temps to rise from 39* at 10am to a fabulous 68* at the time everyone left the conference hall to come pond side. Kudos to the Big Cedar Engineering and Landscaping crews..I would call, they would deliver whatever needed and if it didn't exist, they built it for me!

Here are several pics of the pond that don't do the vendors and participants justice!

Click the pic for the slide show...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
TJ, I also did my best to get the flies and figured I had them up to a high enough point that nobody would mess with them. Heck, I think I came in 4th or lower.

That's OK, I still have 5 that George personally hand tied for me. Of course, there's no way I'm going to actually fish with them. One of them is mounted and framed.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/18/11 08:40 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
I figure I had better post some pictures of what I played a small part in making happen...the "hands on" demonstrations on the pond.

I wish I could take credit for getting the clouds to part and the temps to rise from 39* at 10am to a fabulous 68* at the time everyone left the conference hall to come pond side. Kudos to the Big Cedar Engineering and Landscaping crews..I would call, they would deliver whatever needed and if it didn't exist, they built it for me!

Here are several pics of the pond that don't do the vendors and participants justice!

Click the pic for the slide show...

photos being uploaded

Rex am I missing something - don't see a pic to click except for your signature photo...

E
ewest Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yep I tried to buy them as well. By the time I checked back the price had doubled.

Rex thanks for the pics. I did not get any there. The link worked for me.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Awesome pictures Rex, Thanks. And thanks for your help. And your right those maintenance guys were awesome.

Fisheries Biologist, Texoma Hatchery.
www.texomahatchery.com
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
TJ, I had to temporarily delete the original slideshow.....for some reason the original slide show only had the photos currently being shown when created, but scrolled through all photos in my photobucket account instead....Issue corrected!

Lunker
Lunker
Got it - thanks nice shots. The new aeration guys this year had some cool stuff going on down there. Chad that's an armful of Amur you have there ready to slappa yo face! Nicely handled...have you done that before?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
After you've been slapped in the face a few times, you figure out how to handle that creature.

Fisheries Biologist, Texoma Hatchery.
www.texomahatchery.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Kent's Waterpusher is pretty impressive. I had never seen one. Eric told me that they are usually built for a tractors PTO to be used in production ponds. Of course, that means that the tractor has to run full time. Kent's is electrical and he says is uses a couple of bucks per day of electricity. Way to go Kent!

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: george1
Hey Guys, check with Eric at moderator booth for Mrs. G’s $Gill flies - donations to SDSU Jesse West scholarship foundation!
Here’s a photo of a $Gill fly if you look closely from fishin’ yesterday …
Y’all have fun – wish I were there.

SDSU cap and Mrs.G's $Gill fly ... grin

George - I bid four times on those flies and also the TFO fly rod/flies and lost both by LATE bidders. Grrrrr...I did end up spending some well deserved bucks on the Venison Pastrami and bid/won a couple of In-Fisherman hats...all for a great cause. Still...my Wipers wouldn't stand a chance with those flies of yours!

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
TJ, I also did my best to get the flies and figured I had them up to a high enough point that nobody would mess with them. Heck, I think I came in 4th or lower.

That's OK, I still have 5 that George personally hand tied for me. Of course, there's no way I'm going to actually fish with them. One of them is mounted and framed.

Thanks guys, really wish I had been able to attend -sounds like a good time was had by all and most behaved nicely ... grin
Glad the flies brought big bucks at the auction - that was the only way I could paticipate.

Who won the spin/cast fly rod/reel combo?
Temple Fork Outfitters is a first class operaration and responded eagerly to my request for their donations - thanks to Brandon for his bass bugs - he's a top notch fly tyer!

The reason for my enphasis on the spin/cast rig is too encourage you guys to fly fish your ponds! This rig will handle UL spin casting like a dream and allow to switch to 4/5wt fly casting when needed.

Thanks to all for donating to a worthy cause.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks again to you, George!!

The TFO fly rod, reel, and flies went for $195 to Heath Spence.

The TFO fly/spin combo went for $150 to Pat Miller.

Some of the Glazener flies were paired with Pond Boss IV long sleeve shirts. The main packet of Glazener flies went to Chris Steelman for $50. Chris was everywhere at this meeting, actually.

Fred Bingaman donated four very nice Shimano/G Loomis spinning rods and they all went between $70 and $80.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
The conferrence was amazing! I can't put into words what a wonderful time we had. It was so neat meeting all of you whom we've talked to over the past year or so! Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. We met many of our friends and made many more! This was a trip to remember!

Thank you guys SO much! We're already looking forward to next time! smile
Stacy

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Testimonies prove - people who do not attend the Pond Boss Conferences miss out on a really great two days of: Pond, Ponds, Ponds mixed with excellent information, friendships and memories!

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/19/11 10:35 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Greetings from Great Exuma! Cody, I thought the conference was 3 days???!!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
ewest Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Well it depends ! 2 days of meetings (Fir & Sat) unless you went to the pro part then 2.5. If you count social then its may be 5 days for some.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Guys - if one also considers 'recovery time' then add several more days! shocked
The after-glow may last for weeks.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/19/11 02:37 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
Speaking of appropriate behavior...I am surprised [yet relieved] our unofficial Buzzard Lounge seminars weren't documented digitally. Truly groundbreaking stuff: Chad Fikes and I potentially solved world hunger; Blaine and Blair had some very progressive environmental initiatives to help curb air and water pollution; and Scotty, Sue and Sunil colaborated on an alternative energy theory I think could provide the world clean and renewable energy indefinitely.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find my notes.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Just back from the conference. As a veterinarian I've had to attend many professional conferences over the years. None to date can match the Pond Boss Conference. The degree of professionalism, expertise, approachability, and air of comrodary was second to none. Every single person we encountered was full of warmth.

Thanks for a lifelong experience,
Steve, Stacy, and Larry
aka Stubby Steve's

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Too bad the conference has ended. Y'all could have Googled "China's Amazing Bridges" to get an idea of what our tax dollars are doing and maybe have worked out a solution to that!!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build