Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
9 members (Kanon M, highflyer, Theo Gallus, Sunil, catscratch, jludwig, sprkplug, canyoncreek, gehajake), 1,201 guests, and 359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
findfoolfight...I agree...after I bought
my Curado 200E7 I decided..whoa if this is this
good heck i better try the more expensive
Shimano Calais 200A. I still like my Shimano
Curado 200E7 better!!

look at the reviews:
Curado Reviews

Fishing has never been about the fish....

F
F
It's all relative aint it. AS I said the St. C is a good product you will enjoy...definately a two hander if you are right handed you will find yourself tucking the butt under left armpit to find a good balance point. Try to get the lightest low-profile(not round) reel you can find. If you go to BPS or wherever to get the reel they will let you mount it on your rod ..it should balance perfectly with just two fingers placed directly in front of the reel. With that kind of setup balance can be a bigger concern than gross weight. If you hold that combo out in front of you at 3 oclock thats where it will weigh the most..but gradually lift the tip and somewhere around 10 or 11 you will notice the weight (at least your perception of it)begin to lesson.. thats what they call "unsprung weight" in the motorcycle world and the "sweet spot" in tennis. Oh and don't let the small size of these modern low profile reels fool you. Analogy...I used to lug around a heavy 12 ga. semi-auto all day to knock down those little Quail birds until the day I figured out that I could get the same or better results with a 410...no need to kill yourself in the pursuit of meat or pleasure!

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Another thing I have not changed to is the newer
long straight rod handles. I still prefer the
pistol grip rod handle, and they are getting
harder to find.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

F
F
Zep for making Pinpoint accurate casts or twitchin a rapala and such that old style handle is hard to beat. But you better buy um now cause very soon you'll have better luck finding a new 8-track tape player.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight
It's all relative aint it. AS I said the St. C is a good product you will enjoy...definately a two hander if you are right handed you will find yourself tucking the butt under left armpit to find a good balance point. Try to get the lightest low-profile(not round) reel you can find. If you go to BPS or wherever to get the reel they will let you mount it on your rod ..it should balance perfectly with just two fingers placed directly in front of the reel. With that kind of setup balance can be a bigger concern than gross weight. If you hold that combo out in front of you at 3 oclock thats where it will weigh the most..but gradually lift the tip and somewhere around 10 or 11 you will notice the weight (at least your perception of it)begin to lesson.. thats what they call "unsprung weight" in the motorcycle world and the "sweet spot" in tennis.

FFF, that's another thing. I'm right handed, and have cranked spinning reels with my left hand probably just as long as you've been fishin'. The saltwater reels are right handed, but I'm not 100% sure what side to have the handle on this set-up, right or left. With the size of the lures that will be tossed, it's not like tossing a bass lure. For someone that wouldn't have to unlearn, what's the plusses and minuses for right hand vs. left hand. Remember, a right handed spinning reel has the handle on the left side (unless you are using the spinning reel on top of the rod like I've seen people do shocked wink )

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
Hey Esshup good mornin....I'm right handed and I normally do the mid-air switch and reel with my right hand. I do have a left hand reel that I only use with buzz-baits since they need to start their hypnotic gurgling dance back towards you just a nano-second BEFORE they hit the water. Since this is your first (of many) baitcasters maybe consider a leftie and all subsequent ones as well. Going back and forth can be frustrating. I'm sure you've been to countries where the steering wheel in on the right...I know each time I've had to do that program I felt like I was an extra in some kind of Keystone Cop-Three Stooges production!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks FFF. Heck, I've had to drive RH drive vehicles here in the US. That took some getting used to. I was really happy that they were auto transmissions!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I took my new Revo out for the first time Saturday. I paired it with a Skeet Reese rod (I liked it because it was yellow). I used the training wheels method of pulling out about two cast's worth of line and placing a piece of electrical tape across the spool so that it can't rat's nest any deeper.
It all went very well, and when occasionally I picked up my spinning rod to cast a smaller lure, it seemed awkward and clumsy. The hardest part was explaining it to my wife. She asked me why I preferred using a reel that would make a big mess of the line if I didn't precisely time stopping the reel with my thumb. I had no good answer for her.
Anyway, the bass were hungry and or angry. In a little over two hours I caught about 17, the largest of which was this sow who was about 19 inches and very fat.

My son says he caught a larger one but I'm not sure if I believe him since I didn't see it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length