Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,922
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
7 members (Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, phinfan, catscratch), 860 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
im trying to install a diy economical aeration system on a 1/4 to 1/2 acre pond. can some of you share the good and bad results you have had with air pumps/ compressors that would work for this? what would you recomend and how did your system turn out? thanks

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Look up RC51 he seems to have built a pretty decent setup that alot of people seem to follow..

heres a link

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post250051

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 03/11/11 11:16 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Jevan, An aeration system should be properly sized for your pond's shape, contours and any obstacles (such as an island) to be efficient. Too much air can create turbulance and too little may not help much either.

All that said, a small continuous duty compressor that has a 1.5 CFM air output should suit your needs...There are a couple cheap compressors at Harbor Freight, or Northern Tools and used ones on ebay...be sure to reaserch your pump to make sure it can run 24/7 or it will burn out quickly. Inexpensive diffusers can be ordered from diffuserexpress.com and you will need .5 CFM minimum for each diffuser.

I would suggest you read a lot of the threads in the Aeration Systems section. There are many pitfalls you can run into with home made systems, but they can work well along with being very inventive.

Once you know the theory and facts of how it works, let your imagination go wild.

There is a good reason why high quality aeration systems are so expensive...they work well from the start, are desined for the application where used and last many, many years.

Last edited by Rainman; 03/11/11 11:26 PM.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Be sure to check the specs on the compressor as well and cross reference with water depths/operating pressures and start up capabilities under pressure. Don't choose a compressor that is going to be run at the high end of its capabilities or it won't last long.

Richard Dennis
EP Aeration
rich@epaeration.com
www.epaeration.com
(800) 556-9251

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jevans5050
im trying to install a diy economical aeration system on a 1/4 to 1/2 acre pond. can some of you share the good and bad results you have had with air pumps/ compressors that would work for this? what would you recomend and how did your system turn out? thanks

Hey Jevans,

Good to have ya! The link BK provided for you will get you down that air station road for sure! A friend of mine from this site actually put me on to the Eco Plus Air Pump. His name no the forum is adirondack pond! He helped me out quite a bit. (Thanks AP) smile

Anyway AP has the Eco Plus 5 air pump and he loves it! So I thought I would try out the Eco Plus 7. It's a bit bigger and can do a little more for ya. Do a search for the pump it's only like 105 bucks or so.

I too was worried how long it would last?? But AP has told me he has had one now for 3 or 4 years and no problems and he runs his 24/7 in the winter time. For your pond size this pump could be right up your alley. I know it was mine and I have about a 1 acre pond about 8 to 9 feet deep. So far I have had no problems out of my pump but I only run mine about 8 hours a day. And at the price you almost could afford to have one sitting on the shelf if you needed a spare for emergency. Make sure you soak everything in though on this site about air. A lot of guys on this site have far more expert advise on air systems then I do. I am no expert, but the system I created thanks to all the folks here giving me advise works great for me and seems to be a great system for ponds in the 1 acre or less size. Have a good one and don't hesitate to ask questions. That's how you learn!!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
B
Don't mess around with building a system yourself but buy one complete and install it to save money. I treat lakes, ponds, and also install aeration systems for my customers. I use only Airmax Eco System aeration systems for my customers. If I were you look at www.thepondguy.com for aeration systems and pond supplies.

R
R
Originally Posted By: BrandonK
Don't mess around with building a system yourself but buy one complete and install it to save money. I treat lakes, ponds, and also install aeration systems for my customers. I use only Airmax Eco System aeration systems for my customers. If I were you look at www.thepondguy.com for aeration systems and pond supplies.

Imagine that! Who would have thought that a guy who installs aeration kits would suggest not making a kit but buy a kit. Hahahahaha

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah ummm I made my setup and it works GREAT!! It can be done with a little help form all the wonderful folks here and some reading and elbow greese!!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have $240 in my system including a Gast 523 pump and dual 9" diffuser discs. It has been on constantly for almost a year with no problems. I "messed around" building my own because I believe my mind is as sharp as anyones when it comes to all things mechanical, and I don't see the need to pay others to do the rudimentary wiring and plumbing required to build a simple system. I'm not slighting anyone for selling them, but don't tell a guy who obviously has a DIY streak he is wasting time or he will save money by paying more up front. He will just laugh at you.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I messed around too bc i am a DIY'er to the max. Would be like a fish out of water if didn't try to build everything i can myself. Got it from my dad. I got a Thomas 1/3hp rocking piston pump off ebay and enjoy experimenting with different diffusers and hoses. This year I plan to add a soaker hose to aerate in the shallow end of my pond. My pond is 45 years old, bit over 1 acre /11 feet deep when full, and leaks. It was neglected until we bought it 2 years ago and it had much muck on the bottom in the deep end . After one year of a smaller aerator and a second year of this bigger one, i cannot feel near as much muck when probing from a boat. I'm sure the 60 lbs of tilapia planted last year helped too.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
But I did not mess around with a DIY fountain, and got an Evolution Fountain from Greg Grimes via Cary Martin at Aqua Control, and it enhances aeration on the top, but moreso, makes the Mrs. happy!

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
makes the Mrs. happy! ----- a very good reason and a wise one as well!!!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I plan to add a fountain and bottom lights one day too, both will be DIY.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Need help
by Jward87 - 04/23/24 11:37 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM