Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#251473 03/14/11 09:44 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Gentlemen,
Not excluding Ladies I just have not noticed any from the names I have read. I guess I will have to say thank you first. I stumbled onto the site when designing my pond and I had so many questions and finally my first post. Everytime I was about to post a first question I found the answer in previous posts. A little about me and my pond:

I have wanted to have my own pond my entire life. Any body of water near my parents house had a fishing line in it (ditch, canal, swimming pool, tractor ruts...you name it) seriously I kept a bream alive in tractor rut for over a year. My pond is about 8 months old and 1/4 acre. It would have been a little bigger but my wife got the plans before the excavators did. I had questions about what and when to stock and I found my answer. I had questions about how did certain species get into my pond when I know I did not put them there and I got enough info on that. Which leads to the black balls of catfish that I noticed and I got an answer that I didn't want. Either kill the pond or knock the population down with bass. With wading birds I figured I would never get rid of the catfish or from what I have ID here as green ear sunfish, no offense if you are a green ear fan I am still on the fence. I didn't want to put bass in that early but I put in a couple. Low and behold the black balls disappeared. Also I stocked 1000 fatheads and a hundred redear and 150 coppernose. Before anyone asks...My goals for the pond are to grow double digit bass and catch them frequently...of course that is not my realistic goal but sounds nice. I just want something to wet a line pull out a couple fish and teach my girls what it is all about and maybe get a nice bass here and there.

I do have one pond problem I have noticed, but I am going to wait until the grass grows in to worry about the muddy water. If I have to I will use some sort of treatment, more than likely aluminum.

Feel free to give whatever input you may have it will most certainly be appreciated.
Thanks again,
CMD

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sounds like you solved one problem before it got a good start.

I've also been growing and catching double digit bass in my dreams. The bass will eat the green sunfish.

Welcome to PB.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
OP Offline
F
After a long day at work and a short break during night class I have come up with a question. Not that I had a bad experience with Dunn's, they were very friendly, but I would just like to expand my options. I will probably be in the fish buying market for a while so why not explore. Does anyone know of any other fish distributers that frequent south Louisiana(just south of Baton Rouge)? Like I say I do not dislike Dunn’s or discourage anyone from using them.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Several of them can help. Do you want the hatchery to deliver or do you wnat someone other than the hatchery to get your order and bring it to you ? Many will ship small fish like BG and LMB.

What is in the pond now and when did they go in? Those few fish can fill it up with fish over time.

Last edited by ewest; 03/15/11 08:03 PM.

ewest #251607 03/15/11 08:56 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I am really open to options as far as receiving fish. I am even willing to drive to get them if I need to.

About 9 months ago before the pond was completely full (ok it was not close to full it only had a couple of feet in the deeper parts that held water) I stocked 1000 fatheads and a hundred redear and 150 copper nose. I fed them occasionally when I would go visit my house that was under construction. No telling how many of the birds had a feast. The weekend before the Jambalaya festival in Gonzales the rain poured at my future home and pond. The drainage ditch behind the pond had over flown into my pond and it was full by the end of the day. This is also where I could have gotten the catfish and green sunfish. It was probably July or August of 2010 when I added the first (only one) bass, about 1 lb, to take care of the catfish. I moved into the house in October and soon after I caught the original bass and two smaller bass (I will have to add they were rather healthy). A buddy suggested that the bass I planted was already pregnant; I had to break it to him the hard way. Fish are not as lucky as we are...and...

In December I broke a stocking rule and transplanted more bass (only two additional but from other bodies of water.

To be honest I never really thought to consider how many birds actually fed on the original stock of fish and 40 or so crawfish I added. I have noticed that I have had a few different sized bream (all inclusive) except green sunfish. I am not sure if it is the same all over but a majority of the south considers all pan fish a bream or perch.

That is where I am now. I think it would be wise to add more coppernose and redears before any more bass. Maybe some more fatheads just to get them to leave the "bream" alone.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Contact your county agent; he might be able to give you a list of fish suppliers.

F
OP Offline
F
Is it safe to post google map addresses on the site?

F
F
Lots of people do it including me..haven't heard of a problem but we live in crazy world. If someone wanted to trespass or do you harm it would probably be a local booger anyway and could find you easy enough without plundering this site for your coordinates.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
F
OP Offline
F
This is what I am working with! Hopefully none of the local boogers are scanning pond boss for victims

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=30.298004,-90.927328&spn=0.001077,0.002406&t=h&z=19

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Using Google Earth or other tools, a trespasser/booger can find just about any water hole whether it's on here or not.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
I challenge anyone to find a thread on this site or any other where the word "booger" is used in threefour consecutive posts!

Last edited by findfoolfight; 03/18/11 06:23 PM.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Must be a southern thing. laugh

F
F
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

Yeah...Texas-Louisiana-South Carolina...definately a pattern forming here. What do yall call a "ne'er-do-well" up yonder?? A scaliwag? Rapscallion? Scoundrel? Layabout? Skiver? smile

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight

Yeah...Texas-Louisiana-South Carolina...definately a pattern forming here. What do yall call a "ne'er-do-well" up yonder?? A scaliwag? Rapscallion? Scoundrel? Layabout? Skiver? smile

Just plain A_ _ h_ _e, or dead A_ _ h_ _e. smirk

F
F
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight

Just plain A_ _ h_ _e, or dead A_ _ h_ _e. smirk
Pat I'd like to buy a vowel please! Is there an O??..Great!! I'd like to solve the puzzle please!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
No things in Texas. here, they're thangs.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??