Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,786
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
8 members (Bucyrus22B, Rangersedge, JPierson, MidwestCass, catscratch, Boondoggle, esshup, Theeck), 1,011 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#251259 03/13/11 10:02 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello, All!
I just joined this group, hoping to learn the best way to control (read: get rid of!) snapping turtles in my pond. It's a small 1/4 acre natural pond, with an overabundance of the darn things.
Thanks for the help!
Mary Lynn in Northern Alabama

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Mary Lynn and welcome to Pond Boss. Hang on for expert feedback.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
First off.. Are you sure they are snappers? And if im not mistaken Aligator snappers are protected species in some places. Second why get rid of them?
They can be removed via traps.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
M
OP Offline
M
Oh, yes. They are snappers. They are not protected in my area. I want to move them because there are far too many (20-25 in a 1/4 acre pond), and I would like to attract wood ducks and mergansers to nest.
I have seen some traps, but have heard nothing about how effective they are.

Mary Lynn

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
If you are talking about the floating traps. I removed 114 from my pond last summer using one. I used to have tons of turtles in my 6 acre pond now I hardly ever see one.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to PB! You can set a trotline for them and bait it with chicken gizzards.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #251342 03/14/11 06:05 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Got a 22 rifle and a 10 year old boy?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
esshup #251343 03/14/11 06:07 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the welcome! My sister sent a link for the site, and derailed all my plans yesterday because I spent so much time on here looking things up!

So.. what do I do with the snappers after I catch them?? Is there 1 trap that's more effective?

Mary Lynn

M
OP Offline
M
Unfortunately (???) I have neither. Don't think the neighbors would appreciate me with my 9mm semi automatic out there..... and beside.. don't they make quite a stinky mess as they decay..?? :-p

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I would favor catch and release if you feel the need to remove them. I really do not imagine that they are hurting anything. My fishing experience suggests that some of the best fishing spots are full of snappers. I also have never heard of anyone being hurt by one unless they were messing with them. I personally enjoy seeing them around.

RAH #251352 03/14/11 07:52 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They are edible, and so are the soft-shelled turtles. If the snappers are 12" across or bigger, then it's worth the work to cut 'em up.

But, like RAH said, they don't bother humans, and rarely cause problems. The only problems that I've had is them trying to eat fish that I had on a stringer overnight.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RAH #251354 03/14/11 08:00 AM
F
F
Hey Mary Lynn Welcome to PB! I have mixed feelings about Snappers but this isn't about my feelings, its about yours. The floating traps mentioned above are your best bet. As for what to do with them, relocate far away/sell on craigs list/donate to local university-biology dept/etc. While I agree with RAH that I like looking at a few turtles...but having 25 in 1/4 acre???????? I also like a little Herscheys Kiss now and then, but I don't fancy the idea of someone cramming hundreds of them into every orafice of my body til I explode.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
esshup #251358 03/14/11 08:06 AM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Welcome to the Forum Mary Lynn.
I have snappers in the pond and they don't seem to be a problem, there's alot of pro's and con's whether they eat many ducks, but they sure don't deter all the ducks that come to my pond.

Mary mentioned her main reason for wanting to get rid of them was she wanted ducks to nest on her pond, I believe that they impact very little on the duck population cause they eat mainly sick or dead animals.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I can't see how floating traps would be efficient. First off you never see a snapper sitting on a log, because they don't and that's the concept of how a floating trap works they climb up on the float to sun then drop Into the cage side and can't get out, (usually floating traps are a big PVC floating square with netting in the middle..)
I know many people who trap snappers too eat and none of them use floating traps..

Sunken trap is tour best bet (if they are snappers for sure) basically it's a glorified blown up sized minoow trap use some kind of meat in te center to catch snappers put the meat in a sock and susmpenr in the middle of the trap..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

M
OP Offline
M
Yes.. it's the quantity that's the problem! I kinda like the Hershey's Kiss analogy.. may have to steal that one!
I've been looking on line, and traps run in the $125 range. Yikes! Any reason not to use a regular live animal trap? I would imagine that with long term use, rust would be a problem, but by then, hopefully..... no more turtle explosion!

And the reason I am blaming the turtles for the lack of nesting wood ducks and mergansers, is that they stop by, but don't stay. There are nest boxes, and the correct food supply and habitat... so I'm blaming the turtles!! :-))

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I like DD1's solution the best, except I use a 13 year old.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Cisco #251413 03/14/11 12:51 PM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Have this guy help get them out. shocked

Omaha #251475 03/14/11 10:12 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Well.... that IS ummmm.... unusual?? I bet he won't travel all the way to Alabama to show off those skills, though........

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If not a 22, maybe a good air rifle like a Gamo.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Don't use an animal trap.. If you could find a way to build a 3'x3' by 2' tall cube then wrap it in chicken wire and put a cone shaped entrance in one end you'd be in business or about 20 bucks..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

M
OP Offline
M
Anyone else care to weigh in on the animal trap pros and cons?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
animal trap = con. It'd be durn hard to get them into it. If that style of trap worked for snappers, I'm sure it (or something like it) would be marketed as such.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #251645 03/16/11 07:47 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mary,
Honestly if you were closer I'd come over and do all this for you.. Don't waste your money on an animal trap it won't work, simple as that lol.. Do you have a son, grandkid, neighbor kid someone that could build up a trap I could send you a detailed blueprint, wish I could do more but what's been mentioned is your only real solution

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A

M
OP Offline
M
I can handle building the trap.... I know my way around the building trade. guess I'm just not clear on how to get them out of the trap??
Please do send the prints (MLWEIM1@gmail.com). I actually have a few people coming over Friday to help me start building a deck, so I have plenty of helping hands!
And you are welcome to come on down and catch turtles (and green sunfish, bass and catfish) and pitch in on the deck building!

ML

M
OP Offline
M
Wow. I had NO idea there were so many types of traps out there! Thanks for the info!!

ML

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
What area Mary? We have several Alabama nembers and readers. I get down there several times a year around the Dothan and Demopolis areas.

M
OP Offline
M
I'm in Huntsville (Northern AL).

Mary Lynn
(Yep.. I have 2 first names... it's a Southern thing!)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You mean a down home thang.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Mary Lynn
guess I'm just not clear on how to get them out of the trap??

Could you use a catch pole type thing like animal control officers use? Long pole with a loop at the end that tightens around the neck of the animal?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the invite.. Just a little far for me to make that on a weekend.. I will make up a print tonight and send you it.. The best way to get the turtles out is to make the whole whole bottom/top removable, take the top off... the turtles will be sitting there on just the bottom platform of the cage.(stay away from turtles mouth they will circle towards you aggressively).. Get a 55 gallon drum lay it on it's side use a 2x4 or something to push them in the barrel transport and dump.. I will email you some stuff tonight. I have a couple ideas for cages that won't take much to make and will work perfect for you..

PS- I have to build my dock this weekend so your deck is out of the question lol

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 03/17/11 07:47 AM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks in advance for the plans!
Have fun with your own weekend project!

ML

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Snapping turtles come equipped with handles for easy transport. Just grab them by their tail. Hold them away from your body so they can't reach your leg and take a chunk out if they get feisty. Like BGK said, make sure which end is the tail end!

Mary Lynn, how big are the turtles?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #251799 03/17/11 11:31 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Do you have a farm supply store near by? Or a petsmart maybe?

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
1" chicken wire or 3-4" welded wire works better. Buy 4' wide wire if possible. Lay the wire out flat, cut off about 8'. Now fold the wire down from one edge about 8" for the whole length of the wire. Next attatch the ends together with the folded edge inside. It is now a big round wire hoop. Flatten the hoop down till it starts to look like a big wire cusion. On the end that was not folded, close it up using a long stick woven through both "top" and "bottom" edges. Now reach in the folded end and shape the wire on the inside to form a "funnel" this end is the entrance that with the funnel forms a trap similar to fish traps. When you finish bending the funnel wire it should have an opening about 1/3 it's original size. The trap should be about the shape of a big pillow. Hang some chicken meat inside tied to the top of the trap. Place trap in shallow edge of the pond with the top out of the water so turtles won't drown. Works well to tie the trap under a willow or similar tree. Turtles find their way into the funnel opening but can't figure a way out. Remove turtles by pulling out the stick to open the rear of the trap. Hope this makes sense to you, quick, inexpensive and it works-

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 03/17/11 11:59 AM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's kind of a simple version but I try to make mine square/cube when doing this by folding the first edge and middle area to make 8" walls.. Also leaving a 8" over hang on both other side to make front and rear walls when bent but one end will have 2-4" inch walls on top and bottom that you fold half way in to make a funnel..

THIS IS VERY HARD TO TRY TO EXPLAIN ON A COMPUTER ARE YOU UNDERSTANDING ANY OF THIS LOL

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I trap and relocate about a dozen or two every year. Same reason as you, I don't mind a few sunning on the bank but don't want three dozen. Obviously, mine aren't snappers, just plain old red ear sliders. I use a home-made trap same design as seen on the MemphisTwine site, PVC pipe square with a wire drop-bottom. I take them to a swampy area near my work and release.

Jeff-

1 acre pond, slopes to 15ft depth. Has BG and few LMB plus a half dozen pesky sliders.
[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
M
OP Offline
M
O.K... working on visualizing this. So 8' of 4' wide wire cloth. Then fold an 8 inch strip down the long edge? Then attach the long edges together with the folded long edge on the inside. Fasten with what? Zip ties, maybe?
So I have an 8' long cylinder. Flatten the cylinder, weave a stick through 1 end to close it (I think that's VERY clever.. would never have thought of that!)
Getting the funnel part is where I'm a bit lost, so if it's not too much trouble, can you take another stab at that part?
My big turtles are about 18" across.. will that be a big enough funnel for them? I am imagining that a shorter funnel is needed for bigger turtles?
Thanks so much! And sorry to not get it on the 1st try.. I'm a pretty visual person, so I think I'm just missing something.

M
OP Offline
M
You lost me on this one... but I think the same basic concept.. just squared off... ??

M
OP Offline
M
I'll trade you some snappers for some red ears! At least they have more 'charm'!
Where in TN are you? That's my home state!

ML

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sorry didn't get online until this morning I'll draw it up and email it too you tonight.. It's impossible to try and explain this with a computer.. Also go to google image search and type in wire turtle trap that will give you some visuals of what I basically build.. And if you can find a roll of one inch welded wire fence (rabbit cage is what comes to mind) that works best..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Originally Posted By: Mary Lynn
I'll trade you some snappers for some red ears! At least they have more 'charm'!
Where in TN are you? That's my home state!

ML

I'm just east of Memphis in a rural area called Eads (Memphis is NOT a nice part of this beautiful state). I'll pass on the snaps, but the next batch of sliders I pull out I will definately point them towards your way and tell them you have free eats... grin

Jeff-

1 acre pond, slopes to 15ft depth. Has BG and few LMB plus a half dozen pesky sliders.
M
OP Offline
M
I'm quite familiar with Memphis, I was born there, though I was raised in the other side of the state!
Some of my father's family is still there.. his brother in law and my cousin. Both cops. My cousin now is in Germantown.
Not a fan of Memphis, for sure!

M
OP Offline
M
Again... thanks in advance!
Made very good progress on the deck today!! NO snafus, and no injuries!!

Omaha #253025 03/28/11 09:38 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Have this guy help get them out. shocked

Sonofagun! I was gonna post that exact same link! Nice going, bro! That's what I get for being gone from the forum for so darn long!

Todd La Neve

Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I had to step up my game in your absence. Now I can step back into the shadows again. grin

Omaha #253051 03/29/11 09:31 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
I had to step up my game in your absence. Now I can step back into the shadows again. grin

laugh

Todd La Neve

Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
J
I dont know if you have resolved your turtle problem or not. I've been working on mine with a 22 rifle. I once had a guy tell me, take an old mattress or boxsprings, (with the material gone) and lay it at the ponds edge. Bait it with a whole fryer. I guess just lay it in the center where the intruder will have to walk onto the springs to get at it.Their legs being too short,and they will basically be suspended, and not get any traction, and will be stuck. I've never actually tried it but sure sounds good. Then you must decide what you will do with them.Remember though, if you do not want them in your pond, does your neighbor want them in theirs? 9mm target practice?

I personally am trying to maintain a fishing pond, not a turtle pond. If we strive to manage fish populations, should we not be managing turtle populations? The rule on my BOW if it sticks its head up, it's a target. I have taken out several turtles in the last 2 weeks, and have noticed a dramatic comeback in bulrush, sedge, and arrowhead. Amazing how quickly desired vegetation returns.Also taken out 6 beaver, and a few muskrats.Though I did not notice the comeback till the removal of the turtles. I.e. the Beavers and muskrats being gone for 2 months, the turtles being gone 2 weeks.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
F
F
I watched a snapping turtle taken down and rip apart a full grown canada goose. It was disturbing.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Snapping turtles will not effect your vegetation.. One they're mainly carnivores(they will eat vegetation though).. Muskrat are vegetarians and if you had 3 that might explain some of the problem.. And 6 beavers in 1 pond is crazy I've never heard of more than one or 2..

Snapping turtle taking down a Canadian maybe "rip apart" questionable lol no pics didn't happen lol

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

H
Fingerling
Fingerling
H
A really easy way to catch them is with empty milk containers or laundry soap containers something along those lines. Then tie a piece of metal leader to it with a heavy duty hook. Let some chicken livers sit out in the sun for a while then bait the hook and toss them out in the middle of the pond. Pull them up the next day and more then not you will have snappers on there. My father use to catch ones the size of manhole covers like this all the time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:01 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward