Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24955 07/09/02 11:11 AM
R
Rowly Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I recently bought a house with a 16 acre land locked warm water lake (old gravel pit) on it. It is mostly shallow 5-7' depth and very clear blue water with a couple of acres in the ranch of 10-14' range. The naturally unstocked fish presently in the lake are yellow perch and rock bass. The perch are stunted because of the high numbers. I recently introduced approx. 100 mature bluegill and next year I would like to introduce some mature largemouth bass (LMB) for the shallow areas and SMB for the deeper water with added artifical structure. I live in southern Ontario, Canada. The lake is apprx. 1000' long and 750' wide with two small islands and some water lillies introduced in the shallow areas around these islands away from the main body of water for the future introduction of LMB.

Is it wise to add a small number of black crappie to this 16 acre lake and will they compete with the LMB and SMB/perch/bluegill. What are your feeling about these rock bass (Ambloplites Rupestris). In my readings I'm told they are a nuisance fish with little benefit. Is this true? Should LBM and SMB be combined together as I have the requirements for both and the lake size? The LMB will help deal with the future prolific bluegill. Will the LMB eventually eat all my perch that I want to keep? There is enough weed cover for protection. Could some walleye also be added and is there any benefit in adding this species of predator fish? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I start my future pond management and stocking program. Thanks in advance

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
First, let me congratulate you again on finding such a great pre-existing lake/pond to call your own. (If you can tell me the secret for finding such a location I would love to know).

I wouldn't stock crappie at all unless you want to catch them as your primary predator. They directly compete with bass as they have a large mouth. (Same thing with rock bass but to a smaller extent). How stunted are your perch and by large numbers how many are we taking about approx.? Is the stocking of mature fish due to the thought that the pre-existing fish will eat any fingerlings introduced?

I see no problem with combining SMB and LMB certainly with a body of water this large. I think you will likely be able to support a decent amount of perch and bass... and even walleye with a variety of habitats covered and added structure. Of course I would only add predators that you actually want to catch and desire, no need to add more if they aren't 'really' wanted, just cuts into the forage base.
Are there any minnows in the pond?

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??