Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
What is YOUR most productive bass bait? I'm sure this question may have been asked before on this forum but I'll ask again. My choice would be a Gary Yamamoto Senko in watermelon color fished without a sinker. Even when the fish aren't biting I seem to able to get a few with these. Saturday was a beautiful warm day - but the fish were not interested in biting. My son had 3 friends fishing our pond without a bite after an hour. I joined them and said that "there is a fool proof lure that is the best thing for our pond" and put a Senko on. First cast I pulled in a 17 inch LMB. I couldn't have scripted it any better! No - I don't work for the company - I am repeatedly amazed at how well they work. The only problem is that they get beat up very easily and you go through them quickly.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have to agree that the Yamamoto baits are fantastic. Like you, a senko in my ponds rarely ever fails to bring in at least a fish or two. I don't know the colors off the top of my head, but there are 2 or 3 that I use regularly on our ponds that just seem to really work. I fish them both weighted - usually Texas rigged - and unweighted. The biggest fish I've caught on our place have come on senkos.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Original H&H SpinnerBait
(Black/Chartreuse)

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I would have to say a Rebel Wee Crawfish has caught the most fish for me. Followed by a small chartreuse and orange spinnerbait with a white double tail grub trailer when there is brush or weeds underwater to tangle the crank(like my pond).

F
F
In no particular order other than one of those " Ken if you don't catch a mess of fish I'm gonna kill you" kinda deals!

Attached Images
favs 006.jpg

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
F
F
Hey Zep... How do you get pics to show up in the main body of your post? All I know how to do is add as attachment.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
White & Chartreuse colored spinners
Carolina rigged worm
Meps

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
It's either the trusty H & H for me or a black lizard.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Lunker
Lunker
Black lizard, darker weedless bass jig, single blade spbt, and a weedless spoon. I pretty much go with the Mr.Twister 4" split double tail trailers in a simular color to the jig, spbt, or spoon. Do you H&H spbt fans use a snap on the lure? I have had touble with knots slipping when tying around a double wire eye.

Last edited by the stick; 01/31/11 02:53 PM.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well if your talking in my pond then I would have to say the good old fashioned 3 inch black and silver rapala. Looks just like all the bait in the pond and they love it!

Now if your talking out on a lake. Bar none a 5 inch white Zoom Superfluke with a number 3 gama gotch you!!! hook!!! smile

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I use a knot my dad taught me Stick for the H & H. Never had one slip or break. I'm not sure what it's called though. 5 or 6 wraps around the main line then run the tag end thru the loop at the bait and again thru the loop you just created when going thru the loop at the bait. Did that confuse you as much as it did me? I've broken and bent too many snaps. I rarely use them anymore.

Ronald Reagan

Lunker
Lunker
Kind of sounds like what has been called a Trilene knot.

knot

Last edited by Bullhead; 01/31/11 03:40 PM.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Sounds kind of like my favorite knots called the Palomar Knot with a litte mod to it. The PK knot is hard to beat. One of the best knots out there! IMO.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
F
F
Originally Posted By: Cisco
I use a knot my dad taught me Stick for the H & H. Never had one slip or break. I'm not sure what it's called though. 5 or 6 wraps around the main line then run the tag end thru the loop at the bait and again thru the loop you just created when going thru the loop at the bait. Did that confuse you as much as it did me? I've broken and bent too many snaps. I rarely use them anymore.

That knot has been claimed by darn near every company out there(insert company name here knot), but it's usually called the improved clinch knot.

For me it would probably have to be a cheap senko knockoff (watermelon w/red flake, the king of all colors for soft plastics). I've tried several brands, but the BigBite brand is my favorite.

Practice makes bad habits. Learning from practice makes perfect.
A
A
I would have to say a good old fashion Rattle Trap in silver and black. I caught 7 nice LMB this past Friday with it. The weather was beautiful. 75 degrees and sunny.

The BEST investment I have made in my pond is subscribing to PondBoss!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
That's pretty close but I only go the the eye of the hook once (twice looks stronger) then I go thru the upper loop again before cinching it down

Ronald Reagan

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight
Hey Zep... How do you get pics to show up in the main body of your post?
All I know how to do is add as attachment.

findfoolfight....not sure if this is too wordy or very clear,
it may make you more confused...lol...but this is how I post
pictures directly into a post without using an attachment.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Thats about how you do it Zep!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Most effective bait... Live golden shiner under a float.

If we're talking artificial, it depends on the season, the water conditions, the weather and how heavily fished the pond is. But with 5 or so baits, I can catch bass in just about any condition.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Love those weightless, t-rigged Senkos - lots of colors and sizes depending upon conditions!

But, this year, I've caught a lot more fish with a Zoom Trick worm. Usually white but sometimes red, junebug, chartruese, etc. I like fishing them weightless on an UL in shallow water.

Sometimes I'll add a little split shot about 12" up the line.

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
How harmful is it for a bass to swallow a senko or other plastic bait?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I know I'm old and set in my ways.

For bass and walleyes, there is absolutely nothing better than a full night crawler on a 2/0 long-shank or circle hook, or larger. It can be a hook behind some split shot. It can be part of a spinner. Just drag it very slowly a few inches at a time.

With that said, a live water bait -- shiner, madtom, sucker, crappie, crawdad -- whatever -- either floated with a hook under a small bobber, or cast and slowly pulled in, it is just as deadly as the crawler.

In my opinion, the fish will learn and tire of most artificial baits, but they never seem to give up on live bait.

A hula popper, rubber floating frog, some rattle bait, or a noisy spinner bait is still a lot of fun.

Aw heck. Bass are suicidal. It all depends on their mood.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: james holt

If he ends up in a frying pan, very. grin

There have actually been a couple of threads here that talk about how a plastic bait can jam up a fish's digestive tract, making it pretty much impossible for it to eat and process its food. I think there was a picture somewhere of one that was basically starving to death that someone on here caught. It looked really bad. Others have caught them with part of bait sticking out their exit hole, suggesting that the baits may be able to eventually pass. But, I'd have to guess that in general, it ain't a good thing.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Originally Posted By: james holt

If he ends up in a frying pan, very. grin

There have actually been a couple of threads here that talk about how a plastic bait can jam up a fish's digestive tract, making it pretty much impossible for it to eat and process its food. I think there was a picture somewhere of one that was basically starving to death that someone on here caught. It looked really bad. Others have caught them with part of bait sticking out their exit hole, suggesting that the baits may be able to eventually pass. But, I'd have to guess that in general, it ain't a good thing.

I don't have photos of what this poor fellow had in his stomach. In this photo, he basically choked himself on part of a hot dog that was set to catch a catfish.

But, he had an artificial worm in his stomach.

This photo shows just how skinny this guy was.

I've really cut back on my use of soft artificial baits in recent years as I've seen what they've done in my pond. It is more than backed up by PB workshops and articles.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
F
F
Angler caused fish mortality could be debated ad-nauseum, I have seen fish mortaly wounded by every type of lure in the world, hard-soft-treble-single-barbed and barbless. More important than the bait is how someone catches the fish and just as importantly how they are unhooked thereafter. If you throw out that senko then set it down and pour a cup of coffee....pick it up and see your line is 30ft from where you threw it then set the hook with enough torque to pull an impacted molar...expect issues. Likewise if you have caught a fish down the throat or in the gills and just yank the hook out with the same force.....?Despite every precaution sometimes it just happens...I once caught a nice bass on a #7 Rapala(with barbless hooks) that somehow got that bait wedged vertically, the 4# test broke and for the next several minutes I watched as that fish jumped her heart out trying to shake that plug to no avail....one of those things that is both terribly sad and awfully funny at the same time....a week later she was a floater

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...